Help with C&D Blends

Status
Not open for further replies.

jason1977

Blockade Runner: Virginias soaked in Jamaican Rum for 7 days then pressed. Awesome.

Black Frigate: Royal Navy Blend. English, but reminiscent of Plumcake. VERY enjoyable Navy blend.

Red Odessa: Red Virginias, Turkish, Latakia, Perique. Awesome.

~Been scouting the thread & I think I may be the 1st to recommend these. I just learned about Red Odessa from PipeWife & I'll tell ya it came in today & absolutely love it.

The Blockade Runner is one that kinda needs to decant. When you get the tin, you gotta crack it open & wait a few months for the moisture to get where it needs to be. I'm finding that if it's not flake or rub, then it needs time to breathe a little bit to decant.

LostDog13

Yes, I'm a New World Samurai
Patron
+1

Briar Fox + cob = A Happy Smoker
Find out for sure in a few months, but I have a cob and 2 tins of Briar Fox waiting. With this recommendation how can anyone resist?

I have to ask though, has anyone tried Black Duck? Been debating that one as well

fogpipe

I have bought a couple and was put off by the big hunk of wood in the bowl, i think i even remember trying to cut it out and still getting the taste of charred wood. I have been thinking lately about getting another and trying to cut the stem that protudes into the bowl.

Spillproof

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
I just received a mystery package full of C&D blends.
No name or note, but the return address is in Washington.
I scrolled through my "known associates" addresses and couldn't place it.

So, THANK YOU mystery C&D Blend Giver from Vancouver Washington.

Trippwire

My new favourite is bayou morning, I love the sour perique. It is sorta like OJK but not quite as rough. Awesome in a cob and it seems to burn pretty slow, I got a decent smoke out of my tiny missou corn cob. Another one to stockpile, along with OJK and Exhausted rooster.

C&D does the best perique blends I have smoked.

jason1977

My new favourite is bayou morning, I love the sour perique. It is sorta like OJK but not quite as rough. Awesome in a cob and it seems to burn pretty slow, I got a decent smoke out of my tiny missou corn cob. Another one to stockpile, along with OJK and Exhausted rooster.

C&D does the best perique blends I have smoked.
try any G.L. Pease yet?

whitebriar

I have bought a couple and was put off by the big hunk of wood in the bowl, i think i even remember trying to cut it out and still getting the taste of charred wood. I have been thinking lately about getting another and trying to cut the stem that protudes into the bowl.
just leave it and burn it out--it actually protects (to some degree) the bottom--after a few smokes you won't notice it unless you're hyper sensitive--

Old Joe Krantz
Haunted Bookshop
Big & Burley
Morleys Best
those are my favorites--they keep swappin' #1 spots almost weekly--

Bayou Night
Star of the East
Mountain Camp (my least favored C&D) (but it's gainin' favor all the time)
Crowley's Best
//a note here: Mountain Camp and Crowley's Best; 50-50 by volume make a good mix for me--improves both in my opinion////

these are just about all i smoke these days

BigB

What I do is fill a new cob with something basic like CH or PA for the first 5-6 bowls, and leave the filter in for the first 2-3 bowls. After about 5 bowls the wooden shank get's nice and charred and the "wood" taste goes away.

Eric Pierson

Resident Giant
Patron
Ericwinpa beat me to suggesting Golden Ash. But I will also suggest it. It is a lesser known tobacco of the pantheon of C & D smokes, but it is one of my favorites. Funny, I have never smoked it out of a cob, but think I will try it tonight. It seems like it would be great out of a cob as it is primarily a burley blend.

I also really enjoy Back Porch and have an 8 oz tin en route as I type. Although it has the same ingredients as OJK it is a little less full and I find it better to me anyway. Sunday Picnic is great, but needs a dedicated pipe, or at least one dedicated to VA IMO. It doesn't ghost but is a thin veil to anything you would have smoked before it.

Epiphany is fantastic! I have just received some Briar Fox, but have yet to open it. But on the strength of suggestions and reviews I am expecting a great smoke from that as well.

Malcontent

Patron
Golden Ash and Habana Daydream
I'd recommend getting the 5 or 8 pack sampler. You can include G.L.Pease mixes as well. It's a pretty good deal.
Has anybody tried the Nutty Virginia or Woodstock Races?

Status
Not open for further replies.