Help with C&D Blends

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Spillproof, Dec 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

Blockade Runner: Virginias soaked in Jamaican Rum for 7 days then pressed. Awesome.

Black Frigate: Royal Navy Blend. English, but reminiscent of Plumcake. VERY enjoyable Navy blend.

Red Odessa: Red Virginias, Turkish, Latakia, Perique. Awesome.

~Been scouting the thread & I think I may be the 1st to recommend these. I just learned about Red Odessa from PipeWife & I'll tell ya it came in today & absolutely love it.

The Blockade Runner is one that kinda needs to decant. When you get the tin, you gotta crack it open & wait a few months for the moisture to get where it needs to be. I'm finding that if it's not flake or rub, then it needs time to breathe a little bit to decant.

Spillproof likes this.

2. LostDog13

LostDog13 Yes, I'm a New World Samurai

Find out for sure in a few months, but I have a cob and 2 tins of Briar Fox waiting. With this recommendation how can anyone resist?

I have to ask though, has anyone tried Black Duck? Been debating that one as well

dbt13 likes this.
  3. LostDog13

LostDog13 Yes, I'm a New World Samurai

Blasphemy!! :D

jason1977 likes this.
  4. fogpipe

fogpipe Member

I have bought a couple and was put off by the big hunk of wood in the bowl, i think i even remember trying to cut it out and still getting the taste of charred wood. I have been thinking lately about getting another and trying to cut the stem that protudes into the bowl.

5. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

I just received a mystery package full of C&D blends.
    No name or note, but the return address is in Washington.
    I scrolled through my "known associates" addresses and couldn't place it.

So, THANK YOU mystery C&D Blend Giver from Vancouver Washington.

Raffxr7, jason1977 and Buckshot like this.
  6. Trippwire

Trippwire Member

My new favourite is bayou morning, I love the sour perique. It is sorta like OJK but not quite as rough. Awesome in a cob and it seems to burn pretty slow, I got a decent smoke out of my tiny missou corn cob. Another one to stockpile, along with OJK and Exhausted rooster.

C&D does the best perique blends I have smoked.

jason1977 likes this.
  7. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

try any G.L. Pease yet?

8. whitebriar

whitebriar Member

just leave it and burn it out--it actually protects (to some degree) the bottom--after a few smokes you won't notice it unless you're hyper sensitive--

Old Joe Krantz
    Haunted Bookshop
    Big & Burley
    Morleys Best
    those are my favorites--they keep swappin' #1 spots almost weekly--

Bayou Night
    Star of the East
    Mountain Camp (my least favored C&D) (but it's gainin' favor all the time)
    Crowley's Best
    //a note here: Mountain Camp and Crowley's Best; 50-50 by volume make a good mix for me--improves both in my opinion////

these are just about all i smoke these days

Spillproof likes this.
  9. BigB

BigB Member

What I do is fill a new cob with something basic like CH or PA for the first 5-6 bowls, and leave the filter in for the first 2-3 bowls. After about 5 bowls the wooden shank get's nice and charred and the "wood" taste goes away.

10. Eric Pierson

Eric Pierson Resident Giant

Ericwinpa beat me to suggesting Golden Ash. But I will also suggest it. It is a lesser known tobacco of the pantheon of C & D smokes, but it is one of my favorites. Funny, I have never smoked it out of a cob, but think I will try it tonight. It seems like it would be great out of a cob as it is primarily a burley blend.

I also really enjoy Back Porch and have an 8 oz tin en route as I type. Although it has the same ingredients as OJK it is a little less full and I find it better to me anyway. Sunday Picnic is great, but needs a dedicated pipe, or at least one dedicated to VA IMO. It doesn't ghost but is a thin veil to anything you would have smoked before it.

Epiphany is fantastic! I have just received some Briar Fox, but have yet to open it. But on the strength of suggestions and reviews I am expecting a great smoke from that as well.

11. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Another mystery package of C&D blends and a sweet old Bueschers Cob showed up today. This time from Meridian MS.

Don't know who sent it or why.
    THANK YOU

Raffxr7, JRobert and Buckshot like this.
  12. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

I was surprised with a package yesterday from the same location. :th1:

Spillproof likes this.
  13. Malcontent

Malcontent Active Member

Golden Ash and Habana Daydream
    I'd recommend getting the 5 or 8 pack sampler. You can include G.L.Pease mixes as well. It's a pretty good deal.
    Has anybody tried the Nutty Virginia or Woodstock Races?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.