Hesitant To Buy Another McClelland(help)

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by KeysandPlastic, Mar 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeysandPlastic

KeysandPlastic Member

I was recommended the McClelland Virginia Woods by Sasquash in related to my thread because Bagpipers Dream was no longer available on mars or pipetobaccotls . I've had McClelland 5100 Red Cake and was not happy with it, the Vinegar/Ketchup was disappointing to me. Do they all smell like red cake somewhat? Even when burnt?

2. beeftip

beeftip Member

All of the Virginia blends seem to smell of Ketchup. I don't taste it in the smoke though. I kind of like the smell.

3. Brian

Brian Member

That is the classic, signature McClelland VA tobacco smell. If you really can't stand it, that's just how it is. I don't mind it really.

I usually let my freshly opened McC tins air out for a day before transferring them to a jar. I just open the tin and leave it there with the top off, not disturbing the contents. That keeps it from drying out too much, but it seems to release some of the vinegar smell.

4. Legend

Legend Member

Yup...that's how they smell. You may come to love it like I do. You should take a whiff of Tudor Castle...LOVELY!

5. KeysandPlastic

KeysandPlastic Member

Even when burnt?

6. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

When burnt? Eh, depends. Depends on blend, how recently it was opened, how sensitive you are to sensing it, etc. Dark Star has the most annoying ketchup smell I've yet encountered in a McC mix, but even it is dying off quite a bit.

I personally enjoy, or at least don't mind, the smell. There are plenty of others who hate it. If you pop a tin, let it rest for a couple weeks, and still can't get over the smell...Congratulations! (to me...that means less competition for their products.)

7. Badcompany

Badcompany Member

McClelland's Navy Cavendish is one of there best,Must be dried out and smoked slowly.A great smoke. :thumbsu:

8. KeysandPlastic

KeysandPlastic Member

Still hesitant on the Virginia Woods, might go with Dan Tobacco.

9. Sweatsack

Sweatsack Member

I didn't pick that up from 5100...but Christmas Cheer is definitely ketchupy. But I dig it.

10. Major

Major Member

If you buy some then Set the Virginia woods aside for about 3-6 months as I did after airing it out for 24 hours. I just smoked mine that I had done that with. Now its perfectly tamed without the typical McClelland smell. Pretty nice now. But if you don't want to go through the waiting game, then don't buy it. I don't think its truely worth buying and then letting it sit for a few months for the so so utlra mild flavor. Its good mind you but not worth the wait in my book.

11. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

From one who dosent do ketchup ... go w/ Dan .

12. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I don't find Va Woods ketchupy but hey, maybe it's just me.

From Dan, Hamborger Veermaster or Tordenskjold are fine.

Might check out something like Old Gowrie from Rattrays' as well.

13. ZuluSafari

ZuluSafari Member

I heard Red Rappary (sp) was also very good, without the "ketchup" of McC. My tin of Virginia woods had that strong scent to it when first opened, but it didn't come through in the smoke. I don't smoke the same blend for long, as I get ADD on my blends, so my tins stay open for a long time. The Virginia Woods I have has been open since January now, and has just a hint of the Worchestershire sauce smell, but it now is well below the sweet virginia aroma. It doesn't have a hint of the Ketchup in the smoke at all...

Give it a shot. For around $8.00 at my local B&M, it isn't any worse than springing for a midrange Cigar, and I get many more smoking sessions with a new tin than the "luxury log" provides!

14. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Don't give up on McClelland without having had some of any of these:
    Orient 996
    Ringlow's Syrian Reserve
    Wilderness
    Samovar
    Scottish Mixture
    3 Oaks Syrian

These are all truly fine blends, and you won't find any vinegar in them.

15. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

The sample of 5100 I received from Andy must have been aged a bit. I didn't get any ketchup smell or taste. It was pretty nice. Blackwoods Flake on the other hand smelled more like super-vinegary BBQ sauce and tasted about the same. I didn't care for it at all. There are other McClelland blends I do love- Cajun Special is one of them. It has a hint of ketchup & spice, but it does not taste at all of ketchup. It's super good.

16. Brian

Brian Member

+1

Needs to be more dry than I would have normally thought to smoke right too. Once I got it there though, very nice. I don't recall this one being too ketchupy. But maybe that's because I dried it more and gave it a lot of air.

17. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

I get no ketchupy note from McClelland Navy Cavendish either Brian, just excellent tobacco glavor with a bit of rum. I find this one to be a nice mild smoke, if somewhat on the subtle side.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.