1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Hey Guys, Ever Get That "Not So Fresh Feeling?"

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by rondel65, May 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rondel65

rondel65 Misplaces Lighters

I'm talking about pipes. You clean your pipe after each smoke very meticulously using several pipe cleaners and pipe sweetener getting it ready for the next time, giving it a couple of days off. You revisit that pipe and your tobacco tastes bland, no distinctive taste difference at all between the other blends you enjoy. I was begining to think my taste buds were getting fried. Then one day I could smell my pipes from across the room as they sat in the rack. I had P.O., the dredded "pipe odor". I ordered some Pipemaster's Clean & Cure recently with one of my tobacco orders and it made a significant difference in the taste of my tobacco after using it. This stuff works great compared to the other sweetener I was using. I smoke a pipe to enjoy a variety of different tobaccos. When everything tastes the same it gets boring and disappointing. Sour bowls are no fun. Is there anything you guys do differently to keep your pipes fresh?

2. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

Salt and alcohol treatment, or at least alcohol soaked pipe cleaners until it comes out clean.

surlysoul likes this.
  3. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

I am as guilty as anyone when it comes to pushing a pipe. I will smoke a pipe sevral days in a row. Now granted some days I only smoke it once or twice depending on what type of work I am doing.
    The pipe will tell you--just like yours did when it needs a good cleaning and a break from smoking.
    What I do is at the end of the week--I do a deep cleaning by taking the pipe apart and using Everclear and pipe cleaners I clean the stem and draught hole to include the mortise until I have NO nasty brown pipe cleaners and they come out clean.
    I then hand the pipe using a pipe cleaner in front of a fan for a while to dry the alcohol and such.
    From there it gets put in my pipe box for a well deserved rest and I select another pipe to smoke.
    I repeat these steps over and over. I really have not had my pipes start to misbehave to badly or get nasty sour.
    I figure good cleaning and a rest can't hurt.

Bulldog and rondel65 like this.
  4. Brian Stephen

Brian Stephen Member

Swabbing out the bowl with a twisted paper towel after each smoke soaks up a lot of the juice and tars left at the bottom. It also promotes a hard, thin cake as opposed to a soft smelly cake. Run a cleaner through the stem after that. Every pipeman has his own strokes, but these work well for me. YMMV.

5. rondel65

rondel65 Misplaces Lighters

Thanks! Think I'll pick up a pint of everclear next time I go on a bourbon run. Doesn't hurt to have some on hand. Wouldn't recommend a match near that stuff.

6. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Member

I don't have anything to add, but I ask my wife that question whenever we're walking on the beach together. Always good for an eyeroll.

7. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Keep cake to a minimum and use a neutral tasting pipe cleaning liquid like Deniclean.

8. bosun

bosun Active Member

I probably do what you do. After a smoke stick a pipe cleaner through the stem and into the shank, let cool. After cooling another cleaner through the stem, a cotton swab into the shank, and a pipe cleaner through the draft hole. If things seem off taste while smoking, then a pipe cleaner dipped in everclear through the stem and continue smoking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.