Hey look , I found 3 nuns

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by ruffinogold, Jul 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

http://www.tobacco-barn.com/s-280-bells-pipe-tobacco.aspx ....... look at the price ... great :whistle:

2. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

That must be old Three Nuns. The new incarnation is unfortunately only available in Europe, but if you have some friends across the pond you could call in a favor.

3. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Says out of stock.

4. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

If you want 3 nuns, just buy the currently available Peter Heinrich's Special Curly. Same stuff by most/all accounts.

Gary likes this.
  5. WillH

WillH Active Member

Geeze....how much of that tobacco did we smoke in the 70's at $0.85 a tin? ( I think that was the price). Who'da-thunkit.

Will

ruffinogold and DocB like this.
  6. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

I can remember seeing 2-3 tins on the shelf a few months back at a local B&M and it was priced at $15 & change. I picked up a tin of Escudo instead! Never smoked 3 Nuns, never really cared to until now..........lessons learned. Try 'em all then sort it out! :) Seeing it at nearly $200/tin makes me think I should have picked up at least one to give this "hi-dollah" toby a "go" and see if it really is that good. It probably is or was but I didn't. I bet they are no longer on the shelf anymore.

:puffy:
    Ed Puff!

7. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

There's a few 3Nuns on evil-bay now for much less (like $35-40-ish). One looks Euro in origin (point of original sale). Is this stuff really that good? Because that kind of moolah would buy me a half to a full pound of others I like......

:dunno:
    Ed Puff!

8. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

After reading the title I was thinking I'd be greeted by a punchline reading...."said Barnacle Bill the sailor" :dunno:

9. ruffinogold

LOL ! ... a monkey and a bottle of ... Great , now I'm going to hell for sure ;)

10. ruffinogold

I know man .. unreal . This is why I'm starting to stash away . Been ordering Golden Extra so I'll have it comming out my ears !

11. Linus

Linus Member

I acctually picked up a tin of bell´s 3 nuns today, but a round 50gram tin (thats why i searched and found this thread) i´ve been filled with scepticism about latakia but it was´nt bad =) the baccy was small round "flakes"?

But really, 85 smackers??? :( wish i could share my tin with you guys!!!
    Mine only costed 19 (wich is pretty much a standarprice for 50gram tins so in the long run i guess US prices are more humane)

Mington likes this.
  12. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I wish I could share mine, too - but I can't afford it! Still haven't decided if I want to smoke it or sell it, so it sits waiting for me to make up my mind.

This was one of my favorites 20 years ago but it's since been equaled or bested by other, more current tobaccos. As Sas said, the Peter Heinrichs is close enough to call it a match.

DocB likes this.
  13. Linus

Linus Member

With those pricetags i can understand if selling it is an option, over there i guess you could buy a bagfull of nice tobacco for that kind of money =)

14. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

....no need to worry about Latakia in 3Nuns! - it's never had any! ;) saw some of the new stuff in my local supermarket today, but did'nt bother with it - fings aint wot they used to be! :)
    OT

15. Linus

Linus Member

ohh, then i´ve been wrongly informed, and ever since a smelled a jar with pure Latakia i´ve been scared away, util today, and now im scared again :xd:
    But i guess 1-2% of it cant be that sharp, and really, does anyone smoke pure Latakia :beyes:

Still, that tin of 3Nuns were fine in my opinon, somehow it reminded me of "caravelle" a baccy i bought a few times when i still lived in sweden, not at all the same but somewhere there was a note that made me think of it =)

16. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

I've got a couple of tins of the European current stuff. It's great, solid tobacco flavor, and enough nic to put you in your place! I will grab more tins the next time I go, but I won't be paying $85 for it!

ruffinogold likes this.
  17. DocB

DocB Active Member

I have also heard that the Cocktail Hour? by Villiger is close enough for Government work...

18. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

I found some too:
    [​IMG]

Waino, dmkerr, Old Codger and 5 others like this.
  19. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

:startl:... uh oh.. now I'm having flashbacks of Catholic School....

Mington, DocB and dwaugh like this.
  20. Gary

Gary Member

Agreed. Tried both and approve of the comparison.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.