1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Hi to Everyone! Question about a Comoy with a U. S. Patent number...

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Gerald Davey, Oct 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gerald Davey

Gerald Davey New Member

Hi to All: I'm new to the Forum though I've spent a lot of time with pipes over the years. Among my favorite pipes Charatan's and Comoy's and it's the latter I wonder if anyone could help me with. I recently inherited an unusual Comoys Tradition, at least unusual to me! I noticed it right off because it is so small. The pipe bowl is almost miniscule by today's standards. It is long and slender but the markings are what confuse me. I've never seen a Comoy Tradition that has on the side opposite the Comoy name and Tradition, a two-line "U. S. Patent Number/ 2001612." The circular "Made in..." mark reads only "Made in England" and I've read that was usually true between the 1930's and WWII. There is also no apostrophe in "Comoys" but it is linear, not curved. The size identifier is also odd: there are three numbers but the first two are identical in size and small "24" followed by a "3" that's about twice as big. I'd say the bowl would hold max. about two thimble fulls of tobacco. But the pipe is almost 6" long. The "C" in the stem is clearly an inset. Any help would be appreciated!!!
    Thanks, Jerry

2. Riff Raff

Riff Raff Active Member

Sounds very interesting. Definitely post some pictures of the pipe.
    That does sound like a pre-WWII pipe. The Traditions line was introduced in 1925. I always use this site for reference on Comoys:
    http://www.derek-green.com/comoy_history03.htm
    I have a 70's era shape chart, but nothing starts with 24. Pix would help.

3. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

Maybe send cakeanddottle a PM, I think he has a vast amount of knowledge on this subject. :)

4. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

I collect Comoy Grand Slam Patent. The number 2001612 is the patent number used on them. The ones I have are also on the small side. I have never seen a Tradition with a patent number. It could be that you have a very rare and early pipe. Congrats on a nice find.

5. Gerald Davey

Gerald Davey New Member

Thanks greatly to ALL for your input! I'll take some photos and post them after we vote today.

Jerry

6. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

In addition Jerry the Grand Slam Patents do not have the three piece C rather a blue and white bar on the stem. The 3 should have an * close by. It represents the size of an o-ring used on a stinger type affair. This may be missing as they were and are a PITA. If yours has one, they screw out, don't try and pull it out .

7. Gerald Davey

Gerald Davey New Member

Thanks Rodfather! The large 3 is very close to the bowl and there may not have been room for the *. However, on the very bottom of the shank near the stem there is a single "*" and what appears to be a dash under it. The dash looks like it might have been hand made as a mark. There is no internal grand-slam style metal but I did notice that the opening into the bit is very large as is the space for the tenon in the briar shank. I don't see any grooves on either side, though. Since the shank and the stem are so narrow, the briar that the tenon pushes into seems very thin. Luckily neither my friend nor whoever owned it originally didn't seem to use it more than a couple of times for otherwise, I don't see how it could have survived without snapping.

Thanks Again,

Jerry

8. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

Jerry, the threads will be inside the stem, I'll bet they are there.

9. Gerald Davey

Gerald Davey New Member

I'm new to all this, but I tried to add the photos I made of each of the features. If it doesn't work, please let me know.
    All the Best,
    Jerry
    file://localhost/Users/geralddavey/Desktop/WEBPhotos/WEBMIKESERVICE/COMOYPHOTOS/ALL/content/images/large/IMG_0131.jpgfile://localhost/Users/geralddavey/Desktop/WEBPhotos/WEBMIKESERVICE/COMOYPHOTOS/ALL/content/images/large/IMG_0133.jpgfile://localhost/Users/geralddavey/Desktop/WEBPhotos/WEBMIKESERVICE/COMOYPHOTOS/ALL/content/images/large/IMG_0134.jpgfile://localhost/Users/geralddavey/Desktop/WEBPhotos/WEBMIKESERVICE/COMOYPHOTOS/ALL/content/images/large/IMG_0135.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.