1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

High grade kaywoodies/doc grabows?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Jay, Oct 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jay

Jay Active Member

What are the lines of the high end Kaywoodies or Grabows? Or how do I find them, who has them etc?

2. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

You mean currently produced?

3. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

IMHO, highgrade Kaywoodie or Grabow is a contradiction in terms. I have a few of them but I consider them all low grade - mediocre at best. The only thing worse are Medico and Yello Bole. The absolute worst is Brylon (made by either Medico or Yello Bole - I can't remember which.) No offense intended to those of you like those brands.

4. Jay

Jay Active Member

yes. High grade having different meanings here of course. I am looking for a decent looking and good smoking pipe that doesn't hurt the wallet.

5. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

yinyang and Jay like this.
  6. Jay

Jay Active Member

I have a couple of Grabows and Kaywoodies that are good smokers.
    Actually one of the Grabows is just a favorite for many reasons but it is a damn ugly pipe

7. yinyang

Without handling them personally, I imagine the POTY 'Woodies should be good. Handmade, no stinger.

8. ruffinogold

Oh , check out the shellcrafts at GFO . For 75 ish .... theyre pretty neat

9. ruffinogold

Yeah , theyre nice ! The other series I mentioned are stingerless .

10. yinyang

I've admired that POTY 2003 apple there on Gray Fox for a spell. They all are vera, vera nice though!

11. cigarsarge

cigarsarge Active Member

I have a Grabow that burns burly like a champ. I would not part with it. Got it as a freebie.

12. Jay

Jay Active Member

The cheap ones always are the best. By fav Grabow was 5 bucks and i smoke it more than any other. Because it is bullet proof and it smokes like a dream, and I don't have anything invested into it.

13. ruffinogold

Not to shabby .. eh ![​IMG]

Scottly likes this.
  14. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

KW Handmades, Freehands, and POTY pipes are all high grades

Shellcrafts are good and reasonably priced

I believe the gold and silver bandeds are too

No stingers, push fit tenon-mortise, very well made pipes.

Totally different pipes from those with stingers IMO

Ed
    Puff

15. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Why are the stinger pipes no good?

16. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

They aren't bad but my preferences lead towards less plumbing is better. Mho, ymmv.

Ed
    Puff

bowlerallover likes this.
  17. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

I have a stingerless Flame Grain that's pretty nice.

18. ruffinogold

I think theyre ok . Back when the stinger was introduced , the blends in America , by and large , were ruff cuts and thin pieces of flake . As an example , if ya look at the Middletons Cherry Blend , you see these super thin flecks [ thats a better word ] in there . This type of cut burns with almost no effort and along with some ruff cut and some tiny chunks of plug ... make for an easy burn to where , imo , a stinger isnt a hinderance . . Other blends that require more air flow sometimes make a stinger feel like its restricting the smoke . I guess it does for some blends but I've smoked a Kaywoodie w/ alot of blends and havent had any trouble but with a few . I;ve owned closed to a hundred kaywoodies or the years and have cut the stinger out of a handfull . Sometime the airway was drilled to small , i think , so the stinger needed to go or do a redrill . The ones i cut , at the time it was easy and faster to cut them as opposed to redrill . If you find the stinger to get in the way , I'd suggest trying it w/ a blend that you have that burns a bit fast and warm in your other pipes . the kaywoodie , with is stinger may smoke that blend well ... or not . The really old Kaywoodies are of fantastic quality . If you can get your hands on one , it's a treat !

Stonewall likes this.
  19. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

Again, no offense those here on PSF that like Kaywoodie & Dr. Grabow, but I have not had good luck with them. Stinger pipes usually have aluminum threaded inserts that join the stem to the stummel. Regardless of how careful I was to avoid overtighting the stem, the soft aluminum threads stripped out. My luck with their push tenon type pipes was not much better. Someone here on PSF claimed in a thread a few weeks ago that those 2 brands now use plastic rather than vulcanite or acrylic for stems but they might have been refering to only the low end stuff. If I can't afford a $75 to $250 briar I get a cob. BTY, a few weeks ago I sent 2 pipe that had aluminum inserts with stripped threads to Floyd Norwood. He drilled out the aluminum inserts and fitted conventional stems to them. Now they look and smoke great.

20. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Grabow uses ABS as far as I know. Kaywoodie's stinger pipes still use vulcanite, but the more expensive handmades have acrlyic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.