1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Highfalootin' Petersons

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by AndyLowry, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

I have a couple of standard system pipes (Darwin B42 and a 307) and like them both, so I've been eyeballing some Deluxe and Premier models. Anyone care to make some observations about 'em? Are they any real improvement over the standards, other than finer fittings? Guide me, oh wise ones!

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

They are better.

The stems are cut much more comfortably and of better quality vulcanite (I think they might be hand made from rod), and the briar is beautiful.

I have a "high grade" Peterson and have had 3 other "standard" grade Petes, and they just don't measure up to it. It smokes incredible and the stem is great.

Falconeer got a DeLuxe recently and he found the same things. It's like a different brand of pipe almost.

3. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

H1 All,

Yes as Sas says Rhona got me one for our Anniversary at the end of November - it's a 999 shape Peterson Supreme with gold band.

Frankly I was cynical about whether it would be much better than any other Peterson - until I saw handled and more importantly smoked it. The stem and P-lip are cut much finer and narrower and polished and smoothed to a much greater degree than the standards and it is tops for comfort and mouth feel. It needed practically no break in and like a Sas pipe does nnot gurgle even with moist St. Bruno Flake right ouy of the pack. Again I did not believe the stories about straight grain smoking cooler until I tried it; it actually does.

I intended to keep it as purely a good pipe for when we went out dressed up on Saturdays and Sundays but I have found it such a good smoker that I use it for my after dinner pipe each night.

It truthfully is a really great pipe. I'll try signing up for photobucket alter and see if I can post a pic later today.

There is quite a waiting list for one after the order is placed - Rhona ordered it around June time and I got it in time for our "real anniversary in November. Chris Corrieri at Brucciani's ordred me a silver mounted one in December for my birthday this April coming,

Best to all

Gerry

4. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Yeah, it really does seem like you're getting pipes from two different companies. The first higher end Pete I had was a sandblasted billiard (not on the shape chart), with a sterling silver spigot. Really not comparable to any other Petes I had smoked up till then.

All that being said, when you venture into Petes premier pricelines, you're easily into Tinsky, Radice and Sqautch territory. Just sayin, it's a slippery slope.

5. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

Those Peterson Spigots make Tinskys, Radices, and Squatchs look like real bargains.

6. SSGpiper

SSGpiper Member

A Squatch is a real bargain no matter what you compare it to. The others I have never smoked, so can't say.

7. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Thanks for the input, gennamuns.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.