Historic pipe tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

dubhdarra

Hi, I'm new here, my name is Liam, I'll apologize in advance if I put this in the wrong section.

I used to work at a historic site, and one of the things I'd been asked to make was pipe tools after historic tavern pipe kits, I was shown a website with them on it, but haven't been able to find anything related to them since, and the person who showed me is no longer with us. I was hoping someone had seen these before or at the very least heard of them, here are two of the uglier ones I made (I use these daily, they work fine but they weren't pretty enough to sell being my first set). I hope you can see them alright, top is the reamer, bottom is the tamper.

Any information even if its "no, those have never been used and you're an idiot for making them" would be appreciated,
Thanks,
-Liam

Sasquatch

Wizzard
Uh, I don't know about historical accuracy, but I'd probably like a set like that. Those look really cool. Top one for digging out dottle, bottom one for tamping while you smoke.

Welcome to the board, Liam.

Now get back into the smithy and hammer out about 500 sets. :D

dubhdarra

Sasquatch said:
Uh, I don't know about historical accuracy, but I'd probably like a set like that. Those look really cool. Top one for digging out dottle, bottom one for tamping while you smoke.

Welcome to the board, Liam.

Now get back into the smithy and hammer out about 500 sets. :D
thank you, and ironically, thats why i'm asking, i figured i might want to have my ducks in a row on research before i pitch it to a tobacco shop...

dont mind selling one of my spare sets or trading them for tobacco though :)

dubhdarra

most of those are whatever was lying around the blacksmith shop, i couldn't tell much apart at that point, mostly mild steel, 1010, 1018 and A36 though. made a few tavern sets with the old style lighters you stuck in the fire, but they sold them all.

Nope--not crits: I think those look pretty neat! Esp. the tamper. I have a fondness for historicity and accuracy. Keep up the good work!

deker

Good to see another 'smith here! Welcome :)

These look pretty good from what I can tell in the pic. Looking forward to see what else you come up with.

-d

t-bear

Look good from here. My "kid" brother is a smith...makes stuff for the Ren-fairs. I had him make me a couple of "fireplace" pipe lighters for our river trips...never thought about wrought iron tampers though.

dubhdarra

wow... thank you for the kind words all... i didnt think they'd be this popular, i was just going to market them as a durable, cheap, alternative to the ones they sell at most tobacco shops...

i've got a bunch sitting around, not sure exactly how many or where, i used to lose them and i generally made myself about one set every two weeks, more scoops than tampers though.

i'm thinking about trying to sell them to smokingpipes(dot)com since it seems relatively mom and pop (in a good way) so... any suggestions?

Glenn

I just thought of something I saw and an idea clicked. Have you ever thought of using old square headed nails to form something like this? Maybe not exactly but maybe take one and give it a twist keeping the square head intact or something along those lines?

Reason I ask is I am on a hunting and fishing forum and someone earlier in the week had posted that they were cleaning out a shed and found about 20# of old square headed nails. I don't know what size or if they would be big enough. But I saw this thread and then I thought about the old nails for sale and figured I'd mention it to you.

If it is of interest i will see if I can find a link.

dubhdarra

i make them out of key stock because its cheaper, but the process for the tamper is the same as when i make nails, and i make it from the same stock. i draw a taper, set the head by hand, put it in a nail header and cut it off then peen the head, which is the point a nail would normally be done, but for these i round the heads, stick them back in the header and cold-planish the head, then reheat, bevel the corners so they're not sharp, take the point to a hook so you can hang it in a pocket, and hot seal it with a special rust preventative i use for black-forged finishes. i'd like to make it out of historic nails but its more effort and a lower profit margin :(

Glenn said:
I just thought of something I saw and an idea clicked. Have you ever thought of using old square headed nails to form something like this? Maybe not exactly but maybe take one and give it a twist keeping the square head intact or something along those lines?

Reason I ask is I am on a hunting and fishing forum and someone earlier in the week had posted that they were cleaning out a shed and found about 20# of old square headed nails. I don't know what size or if they would be big enough. But I saw this thread and then I thought about the old nails for sale and figured I'd mention it to you.

If it is of interest i will see if I can find a link.
Or for those with Sasquatch customs, you could make some tampers out of old railroad spikes:D

mcgoven9

Great work!! It is supprising how much something like that would be so popular. Whether it is historical or not this would be something I would love to have. I love the hooks on the ends. I have a homemade wooden ash tray that my son made for me. It is realy tall, so the hooks would be great to hang off the top of the tray to save space inside for my pipe rest.

This kind of work reminds me of a post Jesla made about antique nails reworked into pipe tools. Only downside of those were the price. They were expensive because of the history and age behind them.

---Smoke well, Puff happily---

Status
Not open for further replies.