Hobo Pipes - Custom Falcon Bowls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Ted

Gone but not forgotten
I've made one or two Falcon bowls with the correct four-start thread, it's a tricky machining operation - so obviously this guy's taking the easy way out. If the 'O' ring on the bowl had a parallel groove to sit in - in the alluminum stem -well, it would be better, but doesn't! and sits across the threads in the alluminum which will be at an angle to it, and in my opinion - not a good long term arrangement for a moisture seal, or security of the bowl.....we shall see!
OT

sillyoldbear

I've made one or two Falcon bowls with the correct four-start thread, it's a tricky machining operation - so obviously this guy's taking the easy way out. If the 'O' ring on the bowl had a parallel groove to sit in - in the alluminum stem -well, it would be better, but doesn't! and sits across the threads in the alluminum which will be at an angle to it, and in my opinion - not a good long term arrangement for a moisture seal, or security of the bowl.....we shall see!
OT
Indeed, I intend on reviewing it after I've used it for a couple of weeks so I'll be sure to mention how the seals hold up. Like I said to Rodney though, it's not like rubber o-rings are a costly commodity.

Old Ted

Gone but not forgotten
I can understand the attraction to a novelty - but with new correctly fitting bowls available for around UK £14, I persnally would be loathe to pay two or three times that for a 'Heath Robinson' article that may not last. Feel the inside threads on a stem - some are by nature quite sharp, so imagine the effects of constant 'unplugging' of the bowl for cleaning!.......yes 'O' rings are cheap, and if bowls were no longer available, it would be a way of using a Falcon, fortunately they still are.
OT

craig

While pretty im agreeing with ot here. Yes o rings are cheap but i would find the replacement of them fast becoming a chore.
I would be interested to hear if they actually smoke as good as a real falcon bowl. Would you let us know bear

Status
Not open for further replies.