1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Holy Moly....Unexpected NEW Pipe!

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by nesta, May 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

So you may have read about the issue I had with the Ben Wade I bought. The drilling was off, and if not for that it had the makings of a wonderful smoker.

Well, instead of going straight to getting it repaired, I went back to the Tinderbox from which I purchased it. I explained and showed the problem to the gentleman with whom I'd done business, and he did not offer to send it out for repairs. Instead, he told me where I could get it repaired...and also told me he could just switch it out for me for a new pipe. I told him I had already smoked it, but he said he'd send it to his Ben Wade rep and have them see if they could either repair it so he could sell it as an estate or else reimburse him for the poorly made pipe.

I opted to exchange it, and he exchanged it for the full price, not the mysteriously discounted price I paid. So I got a different Ben Wade - a tan sandblasted straight billiard. I love the look of it and can't wait to smoke it. I inspected more carefully and yes, it passes a pipe cleaner just fine - straight as an arrow.

It's from the "Western" line of Ben Wade pipes. I think it looks pretty nice, despite an unfilled pit (I prefer leaving it apparent to trying to hide it with fills)

[​IMG]

The angle of the shot makes it look a little more "stout" than it actually is. In person, the shank looks a little more reserved. I love it, and more than that I love the customer service I've been getting there! Next two tins I buy I ought to make sure I buy there. I just bought an ounce of McClelland 2045 Oriental Mixture there to try, though. Excited to get this bad boy broken in!

ichabod likes this.

2. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Westerns may not be worth the nearly 90 dollars they were selling for at the Tinderbox when you can get them for around 50 online, and I don't know what the Shadows run online but in the store they're the same price, and all things considered I paid 75 bucks for the shadow (though it was marked 90) and when I didn't like it as much as I expected I got a new pipe, no questions asked beyond "which pipe do you like?" Even if this pipe is more of an "economy" line than the last one, it looks nice (to my eye) and it looks like it will smoke like a champ, and I'm very happy with the arrangement!

I will say I was tempted to instead get the Peterson Father's Day pipe they had left, but this caught my eye :)

3. Zfog

Zfog Member

That was commendable of Tinderbox. Glad you got that all atraightened out!

4. mtsgsd

mtsgsd Active Member

I haven't seen a Tinderbox store in 30 years! I thought they were out of business! That's where I bought all of my stuff originally. I still have a container of Tinderbox flints.

5. ddandb

ddandb Member

Glad to see some stores still treat the customer right. Nice pipe.

ichabod likes this.
  6. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Best experience I've had in any store in years. Also I love this pipe, but I think pictures truly don't do it justice.

7. ichabod

ichabod Member

It's a great looking pipe. I usually like at least a 1/4 bend but I really like that one.

8. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

The other side has a decent amount of birdseye, and I think thats why it looks so different...a lot of micropits which I assume are caused by the sandblast on that type of grain...and one slightly large pit near the heel, but nothing egregious, and I appreciate that it was left unfilled, actually. Unfortunately I've had trouble getting a clear picture of that side, but I'll see what I can do.

Also, I usually go for bent pipes, but I thought a nice straight pipe would be a nice change of pace. I'm really glad I went for this one, especially since I didn't have to pay for it today haha. I think next time I have some money though I may check to see if that Peterson is still there...

9. Marc

Marc Active Member

Tinderboxes still sell pipes and tobacco? I thought they had gone the way of chess boards, wizzards and whatnots... Glad you were able to exchange it for another pipe and a straight billiard to boot! Billiards are my preferred pipe shape, they can smoke any tobacco well...

10. WillH

WillH Active Member

Always liked the Tinder Box in Reno, NV. Bought my very first Meerschaum there. Never cared for their house blends but they always stocked plenty of tins of everything else. They had a nice smoking lounge too. Ah yes the good ole' days.....

Nice pipe BTW. Great classic style!

Will

11. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Tinderbox here is mostly cigars and cigarettes now. They sell pipes though, and a bunch of renamed Lane blends in bulk, and a few McClellands in bulk. There isn't much in the way of tins anymore, but you can get Sutliff and Karl Erik and Dunhill and Presby.

12. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Glad to hear there's a B&M that still does thing the ' normal ' way . You did the right thing to bring it back . More than likely he'll swap it for another when he seee his rep .Nobodys out .. good business .

13. CMcF

CMcF Member

Nice pipe! If only more retailers understood that good business is good business.

14. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

It's great that they took such good care of you. What's it been, three weeks since you bought it? I'm sure you'll like it if it smokes as good as the Ben Wade pot I recently acquired.

We haven't had a Tinderbox here in the Fort since they closed the one at Glenbrook ages ago, before I discovered they joys of the pipe (a pipe store in the mall? The horror!). I used to buy cloves there when you could smoke in the mall. Ah, the good old days.

Anyway, enjoy the new pipe!

15. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Yeah, two weeks or so. The guy remembered my name, too. I'll be back for sure - and I've got to say that this pipe smokes better right off the bat than any other pipe I've ever owned, no matter how well loved. I'm more than thrilled with the exchange.

16. Beale

Beale Active Member

Nice looking pipe! We have a few Tinderboxes here. I enjoy going in them, Beale.

17. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

That's great!
    Yep, with service like that I wouldn't mind paying B&M prices on a few tins.
    Like you I also prefer that sandpits be left as they are instead of trying to fill them in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.