Honey treatment and drying time

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by sillyoldbear, Jan 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sillyoldbear

sillyoldbear Active Member

Hey all,

I've been seeing a lot of talk here recently about treating the bowls of new pipes with honey or a combination of honey and op spirits. How long would this need to be left to dry? Obviously the honey/booze mix would need a couple of days but what about straight honey?

I ask because, as a resident of Australia, we as a nation have a rule about not leaving honey out for any period of time for risk of attracting all of the ants, and there are so many ants here.

Could I throw it in a ziploc? Or a jar?

Secondary question: is there anything to be done when an estate pipe restore has left the inside of the bowl just as smooth as the outside? It seems to take forever to get cake to build on it, even using the thirds method.

Thanks!

just5042 likes this.

2. user3221

user3221 Member

I would say that a mixture of honey and whiskey would need to air dry for a couple days or at least overnight

straight honey if applied in a thin coating would take about the same time before it is ready to smoke
    it will stay sticky for a month or more and who wants to wait that long

bagged or jarred would work too but considerably slower

sillyoldbear likes this.
  3. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

1 have never pre treated a bowl with anything. Just smoke it, clean it, and enjoy it.

4. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

I put a very small amount of honey on the inside of the bowl, and then smoke it...no drying time at all. Ive yet to encounter any problems. Just be sure to use a very small amount. You want just a light coat that will burn and form a quick cake.

5. Mattzoso

Mattzoso Member

I've been hearing about this treatment too lately. Now the way we're supposed to treat it with honey, do we just pour a drop of honey into the bowl and smoke or do we use our finger to circle the honey around the entire bowl?

sillyoldbear likes this.
  6. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

That exactly. Just use a very small dab on the finger, and just rub it around the inside of the bowl...

martydrmr and sillyoldbear like this.
  7. Mattzoso

Mattzoso Member

I see. Thank you.

sillyoldbear likes this.
  8. Josh Gillis

Josh Gillis Member

I have done this with a new pipe recently, let it dry in the open for a day (no ant problems in Indy this winter) and then lit up, it broke in and caked up nicely. I've also broken in a briar without any special treatment (didn't know any better at the time) and it smoked great as well and continues to.

I think that, like many things in pipe smoking, this one can be labeled "your mileage may vary".

sillyoldbear and mitchell like this.
  9. umfunix

umfunix Active Member

I also don't use honey; maybe I'll wet the inside with my finger and smoke. But plenty of them I just smoked from the box. Heat is the problem!

sillyoldbear and UncleVint like this.
  10. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

The B&M in my hometown was basically a one-man shop. He had a pipe break-in paste he would sell in small containers and also treat any pipe you bought from him new. It was a thick white paste he applied with a finger rubbing a coating around the bowl. It worked. In retrospect I suspect it was likely a thick sugar/water paste that would carbonize and cake a bowl a little quicker.

Having said that, I haven't done anything additional to build a cake since. Just smoking forms all the cake I need and I'm not really in any hurry.

sillyoldbear and UncleVint like this.
  11. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

If I had ever tried to treat a bowl with honey, jelly, maple syrup or what have you, my father and grandfather would have disowned me.

12. UncleVint

UncleVint Member

I've heard and read about this and using just a little bit of water, etc. for the over 40 years that I've been smoking a pipe. I've also read about it being just alot of nonsense. Something for guys who are too impatient to wait to get a good cake. I tend to agree. I just put tobacco in and make sure I smoke a little slower than I usally do. I always get a good cake. Save yourself the trouble and just smoke and enjoy.

13. sillyoldbear

sillyoldbear Active Member

Thanks for the advice all, I've got an unsmoked cob that I'm going to test with straight honey, I'll throw it in a ziploc for two days and report back.

14. Ehrgeiz

Ehrgeiz Member

I've not done this, but it was recommended to me when I purchased my first pipe to coat the chamber with a honey and cigar/pipe ash mixture. I just locked and loaded, so I can't comment if it works.

sillyoldbear likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.