Hookah, just another type of pipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

limpinghawk

I smoke a Hookah as well as a regular pipe,
and it is very similar.
You fill a bowl with tobacco, sit down and relax with something to drink, and enjoy a slow relaxing bowl.

I see a Hookah as just another form of pipe.
Anyone else on this forum smoke this type of pipe?

on very rare occasions, when i consumed other substances through a pipe i owned a hookah and would smoke it pretty regularly, has been awile since however.

limpinghawk

Luckistrykes said:
on very rare occasions, when i consumed other substances through a pipe i owned a hookah and would smoke it pretty regularly, has been awile since however.
I know that a Hookah has a bad rap of being used for "other substances",
I do not use it for that purpose, I smoke tobacco from either Egypt, or Syria etc.
The tobacco is slightly different than pipe tobacco.

It is regular leaf tobacco, but with fruit, honey, and molasses added.

Plus the tobacco is not burned, but rather it is heated. (supposed to be healthier)?
I find it to be a very enjoyable smoke.

doskopanda

tried hookah for several occasions but I didnt seem to get the hang of it unlike briar, then come the ban for smoking hookah in public by the local government

Mister Moo

Gone but not forgotten
Staff member
Our Russian has one in the basement - he's smoking peach this week - but I've left it to him and the Belgian*.

Me? I really enjoy a hookah smoke at the hookah bar with turkish coffee after eating at the middle eastern joint. Shisha is a very nice smoke.

Mister Moo said:
Our Russian has one in the basement - he's smoking peach this week - but I've left it to him and the Belgian*.

Me? I really enjoy a hookah smoke at the hookah bar with turkish coffee after eating at the middle eastern joint. Shisha is a very nice smoke.
Oh yeah Hookah bars, I forgot all about that.
Never been to a Hookah bar, I wonder if they serve regular tobacco like Al Fakhar, or Nakhla?
Or if they serve only the non tobacco versions like Soex which is only molasses, honey, and fruit (without the tobacco obviously).

I'll say this about it, the tobacco is dirt cheap, and tasty.
But it has its limitations on where you can smoke thats for sure.
You're not walking out of the house carrying a Hookah to smoke like you can a briar.

I've smoked hookah on occasions, and enjoy it when I smoke it with other people. I seem to get sick when I smoke a hookah bowl by myself. I've been to a few hookah bars, and they seem to stock their own shisha. Most have the more common shisha flavors as well as their own signature blends.

I've heard both sides of the argument for health concerns. Some say hookah smoke is healthier than other forms of tobacco smoke - especially cigarettes - because the smoke is filtered through water. Some say the smoke is worse because the smoke is breathed in deeper and longer than other forms of tobacco smoke.

limpinghawk said:
I know that a Hookah has a bad rap of being used for "other substances"
Only because that was part of the culture when/where it was invented :)

limpinghawk said:
It is regular leaf tobacco, but with fruit, honey, and molasses added.
Plus the tobacco is not burned, but rather it is heated. (supposed to be healthier)?
All the shisha I have bought (not much) came sealed floating in it's own syrup. I don't see it as very similar to pipe tobaccos I've experienced.

And the shisha is still burned with the aid of charcoal less than an inch above it. The supposed health benefit comes from passing the smoke through the water chamber in the bottom before reaching the smoker. To me that's like saying that wiping off an apple will clean out any worms inside.

I loved hookah before I first tried pipes. I tried one months later and it was far too weak for me. I also enjoy not deeply inhaling smoke.

Mike

I have smoked a hookah for almost a year now. I seem to enjoy it more when im with a group of friends then by myself. Also if done correctly the shisha is not burned but more llike baked. I usually keep a tub of Al Fakher guava on hand as that seems to have a great flavor.

dubhdarra

i used to smoke a hookah pretty regularly, both at the local hookah bars (i started going for the coffee, because i'm a sucker for turkish coffee, and eventually tried the hookah) and for a while i owned a custom hookah a friend who makes the... other... sort of pipes made for me. it basically looked like an aunt jemimah bottle with hoses.

i liked al waha, mostly the more "boring" blends, and then the guy who ran the local hookah bar used to sell me something in jars he claimed only other turkish guys really smoked. no clue what it was, tasted kind of like coffee and kamel reds with a lot of sugar in it. he closed up and my hookah detonated, so i stopped smoking it. new bar open near campus though, may check it out. heard they do some good souvlaki.

hominyjibjib said:
Only because that was part of the culture when/where it was invented :)

All the shisha I have bought (not much) came sealed floating in it's own syrup. I don't see it as very similar to pipe tobaccos I've experienced.

And the shisha is still burned with the aid of charcoal less than an inch above it. The supposed health benefit comes from passing the smoke through the water chamber in the bottom before reaching the smoker. To me that's like saying that wiping off an apple will clean out any worms inside.

I loved hookah before I first tried pipes. I tried one months later and it was far too weak for me. I also enjoy not deeply inhaling smoke.

Yes that is true it did have its genesis in I think it was in the use of opium?

The shisha is not the same as pipe tobacco for sure, I stated that it was different than pipe tobacco, not the same,
I was only stating that it does have tobacco leaves in the blend, and not fruit honey/molasses only.

Also, the shisha is only heated, and not burned at all I think that you may be mistaken on that point,
and the strongest benefit according to the tests conducted showed it to be a healthier alternative due to the fact that it was not being burned,
but rather being heated.
The passing of the smoke through the water had no bearing on the tests conducted, only the issue of burning, versus heating of the tobacco.

It is extremely difficult to burn shisha as it is way too wet in the first place,
you could actually hold a match to the tobacco and find it extremely difficult to actually burn the soaking wet tobacco.

After all is said and done, I do enjoy a pipe much better than a Hookah,
when I get up in the morning I fill a bowl in my pipe, not the Hookah.

Throughout the day I smoke the pipe also and not the Hookah.

I smoke from a Hookah about maybe two, or three times a week that is all.
No comparison to a pipe, at least not to me, but it is still an enjoyable smoke non the less.

Whalehead King

My girlfriend wanted to go to the hookah bar in Boston (how this survives the smoking ban I have no idea). I told her shisha is tobacco and she is convinced she is allergic to tobacco so won't consider the hookah now.

She loves the smell of my pipe in moderation. How much like pipe smoking is hookah smoking? How much like cigarette smoking? You inhale? My only hookah experience is with a few water pipes that weren't called hookahs and the details are hazy and needn't be mentioned here.

whaleheadking said:
My girlfriend wanted to go to the hookah bar in Boston (how this survives the smoking ban I have no idea). I told her shisha is tobacco and she is convinced she is allergic to tobacco so won't consider the hookah now.

She loves the smell of my pipe in moderation. How much like pipe smoking is hookah smoking? How much like cigarette smoking? You inhale? My only hookah experience is with a few water pipes that weren't called hookahs and the details are hazy and needn't be mentioned here.
You can always have your girlfriend smoke a shisha called Soex.
It has zero tobacco in it.
It is made from fruit, honey, and molasses only.
Also, you do not have to inhale the Hookah, it normally is, but sometimes I don't, you just won't get the big clouds of smoke, I don't care about that.

I do inhale most of the time however.

But have her try the Soex, they may even carry it at the Hookah bar?

whaleheadking said:

I went to school in Boston, if I remember correctly the school was on Boylston St.?

Status
Not open for further replies.