Hookahs? What the....

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Ol Brokedik, May 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

I don't get the attraction to hookahs. What makes their smoke so special. Some of the Etailers we buy our pipe tobacco from, are now selling these. How could you smoke FVF, Penzance, Squadron Leader etc. from one of these.

Tell me, none of our pipe smoking members smoke from one of these.

OBD.

2. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

The water filtration makes the smoke smooth as anything. It is made to be inhaled deeply, and also meant to be enjoyed for a long period of time. The tobacco is (these days) universally sweetened and flavoured, though traditionally the tobacco used was unflavored. Even relatively moist flakes would likely be too dry for a hookah - they drown the stuff in molasses and such.

People who enjoy them really enjoy them. If the traditional, unflavoured tobacco were more readily available, I may enjoy it. I've never tried it. I've had predominantly unimpressed reactions to the stuff I've tried, but maybe once every couple of years it's kind of nice. I think people like it because it's "exotic," it looks daring (hookahs conjure up images of drug use, albeit unfairly), and it doesnt take nearly as much effort to learn to smoke it properly as a western style pipe, yet has all the comforts of a long smoking time and the near-ceremonial preparation of the pipe and tobacco

3. Paul

Paul Member

Hookahs use "shisha" which is essentially tobacco with gobs of molasses and flavoring in it; you would have to mix pipe tobacco with a lot of molasses and let it sit for a bit but it would actually work. you can google up some shisha recipes pretty easily but i will say that 99% of the taste will be the flavor you add in not so much the tobacco because it is so heavily filtered (through water, the point of a hookah..) that you lose a lot of the tobacco taste. The difference is that unlike other filtering systems in a normal pipe, you keep most of the nicotine and it is "smooth" in the sense that someone (aka me when i first tried a hookah) can inhale it DEEPLY without coughing or anything (given good shisha and a clean hookah) which lets you smoke it for a long time (a bowl usually lasts an hour or so with 2-3 people smoking it depending on your hookah) so you get a really intense nicotine high and it basically tastes like candy air.

It's also really easy to smoke versus a normal pipe (just shove it in the bowl and cover, put some holes in the foil and put a coal on it)

I would like to make my own shisha now that i think of it.. i only smoke hookah when i go visit my friend mike (who got me into western style pipes) as i dotn own one myself.. though my girlfriend wants one, which would be kinda awesome P:

In some countries they're called water-pipes and you can go to restaurants and have dinner and hookah as a dessert (or even during dinner)

hope that helps :]

also a lot of college age kids (not so much high-school cause kind of hard to hide a big old hookah lol!) will smoke weed in it, but my friends and i just smoke shisha mostly. It's really nice as a social type thing cause everyone hangs around the hookah and stuff.. certainly more interested than most college kids who just get drunk an throw up all day >.>

hope that helps.. any other questions just ask :D

4. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

ichabod likes this.
  5. Paul

Paul Member

Ty for that link, I might get some and a hookah for my girlfriend for her birthday shes been pushing me to get one..

6. Beale

Beale Active Member

Is it like a Bong? :xd: Not that I would know? :msty: Beale.

Great Basin Ben likes this.
  7. Squatch347

Squatch347 Member

When I was in Iraq, I was part of a small team training the Iraqi Army. We lived on their base and ate virtually all of our meals with them. Standard fair, but dessert was always the same, Hookah and Chai (which means tea, usually of a black variety, not chai as we think of it). The hookah usually offered a smooth, sweet relaxing finish to the meal that was complimented by the (overly) sweet tea. It could also be shared and was communal like dinner which I think was appealing to them as well.

8. Ol Brokedik

Interesting story. I'm glad we've got you back. Thanks for your service.

Be well.
    Ol Brokedik.

9. Ol Brokedik

Paul, this sounds like a good opportunity to bond with your girlfriend in another way. If you follow through and get a hookah, let us know how it works for both of you.

Be well.
    Ol Brokedik.

10. Ol Brokedik

This is very interesting. Sounds like hookahs have been around forever. One thing though, I don't think I could bring myself to pour molassas over tobacco. Sounds like this method defeats the purpose of smoking tobacco.

After hearing all this, I wish a few of our members would try it and report back to us. This wouldn't work for me but I'd like to hear from someone who's tried it.

Be well.
    Ol Brokedik.

11. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

X2 Interesting to read, not for me though.

12. Dunlibi

Dunlibi Member

Smoked it in Turkey, it is really pleasant with a glass of chai or two, it's shared, no bite whatsoever.
    The weirdest thing is the inhale, you breathe it in rather than 'take a draw'.
    I thought doing that would choke me and make me cough, wrong as always, very mild and enjoyable.
    Sharing a shish looking out over a beautiful sunset in the Med, 'getting' the history of that part of the world, Troy and those Greeks, it's for the bucket list.
    Trust me.

13. Squatch347

Squatch347 Member

Thanks, from the name I'm guessing you did your time as well.

I think it is important to remember that Latakia was invented near this area of the world. And that many of the tobaccos of Arab origin or alteration can be spicy as well.

14. ddandb

ddandb Member

I tried it once at a local smoke shop. Thought it was great and considered getting my own till I read up on it a little. It seems you are drawing the smoke and the charcoal that keeps it lit so deep into you lungs that a half hour of this is like smoking a carton or two of cigarettes.
    Definitely just a once in a while thing.

15. Ol Brokedik

Was a Marine in Vietnam.

16. ichabod

ichabod Member

I've never done it. Never had the desire to either. The hookahs look pretty neat but I've never had an interest in it.

If the chance came up I might try it but I'm not going to go seek it out.

Some guys, where I am from, tried to open a hookah bar in town once. They had an interview in the paper etc saying that it was perfectly safe and better than cigarettes, with no negative health issues blah blah blah.

They didn't get to open their bar. I doubt it had anything to do from their claims and what not, they tried to open it after the city wide ban on smoking was put in place. People there just hate smokers. Also, it's a small, bible belt, conservative town that doesn't like change...the image of the hookah and having that in town as a business probably caused some of the old money there to faint at the thought of it.

17. Schmitz Bitz

Schmitz Bitz Member

With the majority of my clients hailing from the Middle East, I've had several opportunities to smoke a hooka (or nargile, region dependant), and own a pair of proper hooka pipes. As others have noted; the majority of shisha we have access to is heavily cased and flavoured; however, the true tobacco blends are amazing - as has also already been pointed out, the majority of our condiment tobaccos come from these areas. The smoke is extremely mild, akin to puffing away on flavoured steam, and, like pipe tobacco, usually offers a very pleasant room note.
    As for the moisture, hooka is not smoked like a "Western Pipe" (I put this in quotes as midwakhs, a one-hitter straight pipe, have been in use for centuries in the Middle East; East Asia has their own take on pipes, while in Africa they've another form, etc.); but rather lit with a fragrant hardwood coal placed on the tobacco, causing a slow uniform burn, even when the tobacco is sopping wet (incidentally, I suspect that the coals are the same hardwoods that are used to flavour Syrian Latakia).

Soaking tobacco in molassas - isn't that a way of making Cavendish, and also found in some Navy blends?

18. Ol Brokedik

Last night I watched the movie Hidalgo again. I'd watched this movie several times before. Before last night, I never noticed the Shiekh firing up his hookah. Strange I didn't notice this before.

OBD.

19. Derek

Derek Member

I have a hookah. Bought it while the wife and I were visiting family in Houston. We have only used it on several occasions but it is nice if you get the right flavors of shisha. To me it is a once in a while type thing that can be very entertaining. Besides it gets the wife to smoke with me. She has tried cigars for me but that was a no go. She has been expressing interest in the pipe though...

20. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I had a Jordainian costumer who brought in a hooka and some strawberry tobacco one day . We sat on the floor of the shop and smoked this stuff . He put a charcaol in the bowl to light it [ I thought that was cool ] ... Anyway , it was good stuff . Tasted like sweet strawberries

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.