1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

How Common Are US Made Falcon #1s?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by dwpipes, Apr 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dwpipes

dwpipes Sales Account

I noticed in several other threads on this forum that many of you have and enjoy Falcon pipes. I recently downloaded the eBook version of Kathy Worth's book "Back from the Ashes: Uncovering the history of G.L. Hunt and the Falcon pipe". I am really enjoying the read and learning a lot about Falcons that I did not know. As a restorer, I keep an English "FDA" around for the purpose of checking bowl thread compatibility, but haven't gotten around to smoking it. I have searched eBay and found several US made #2, #3 and #4 pipes available. Also checked 'Smoking Metal" site. Great info and pics, but not much about collector value. From Kathy's book, I understand that the earliest Falcons produced (1947-1953? proceeding the Falcon #1) were not stamped with any identifying nomenclature at all, until inferior quality imitators started showing up. So there may be 'Falcons' out there that would be rare, but hard to positively identify. . . I think.

My questions to any of you who may be Falcon collectors or connoisseurs are:
    1. how common are the early (1953-1956?) US made, Falcon #1 pipes?
    2. how would one determine their value?

Look forward to your responses!

2. bosun

bosun Active Member

I found one of my Falcons. It is easy to mislay them around here (boxes of too many pipes). Underside of the stem it says "Falcon"going sideways to the stem. Under the bowl itself there is a deep circular indentation with the numeral "1" at the bottom of it. Is this what you are looking for?
    Value is what someone will pay for something. I've been collecting older Kaywoodies lately. In WW2 they were running out of briar (came from the Mediteranean region) and started harvesting manzanita burls, a cousin of the med briar. Pipes made out of this were marked "mission briar". Inexpensive pipes, shouldn't be too rare, but I ended up paying close to $40.00 for a box of cheap pipes to get one..so that Mission Briar essentially cost me $40.00!!

3. Splat

Splat Member

I've got a #1 and #2 Falcons, both in excellent condition. Estates when I found them and I think I paid roughly $20 each but the #1 came with two bowls.

4. dwpipes

dwpipes Sales Account

Yes, that would be the same model/vintage as I am asking about. In Worth's book I believe she quotes her Grandfather (G. L. Hunt) as saying that by 1954 the total sales of all Falcons (US manufacture and sales only at that point) as totaling over 6 million. That is a lot of pipes! Wonder how many are still out there?

5. dwpipes

dwpipes Sales Account

I think that was probably a great buy! How long have you had them?

6. Splat

Splat Member

I started on my Falcon kick only a few months ago. I still like and smoke them but now I'm getting into a cob/MM phase which seem lighter than the Falcon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.