How do i make pipe mud?

Status
Not open for further replies.
a ben wade i got in an ebay buy is starting to burn through, not bad but it's pretty obviouse. i'm pretty sure it's nothing special as i believe it to be one of the :poop:ty mass produced ben wades. it has something like four small fills in it and just seems somewhat cheaply made. i feel no love was put into it, none the less i wish to make it last as long as possible. so how do i make pipe mud?

Hitch

Take your finest ash from you next smoke and mix it with spit. Fill the hole spread out the extra and let it dry for at lest 48 hours.

wowsley

I believe it consists of cigar ash (although you can probably use pipe ash as well, but idk) and honey or corn syrup. Mix them together to get the right consistency .... wet enough to stick but dry enough so it'll stay where you want it. Let it dry for a couple days and go easy on breaking it in :puff:

Now, I've never done it ... but this is the way I understand it's done .... you should probably disregard everything I've just said and wait for someone who knows what they're talking about to chime in .....:D

Deckard

I think the key is building a sufficient cake over the patch so that it can't detatch from the wall of the chamber.

yum spit and cigar ash...sounds gross lol but also like it will work, do you think it matters the quality of cigar? would a cohiba as opposed to a factory reject be better, well :poop: why am i asking i would rather smoke the cohiba anyhow.:D thanks guys

Sasquatch

Wizzard
I think you can use waterglass from the pharmacy too... have to look up a recipe though.

Just smoke it till it burns out and get a new pipe. :D

Smoker99

I recently asked this on some other boards, and cigar ash and honey was the most frequent response for effectiveness.. I haven't used it though.

Falconeer

Seen quite a lot of recipes for pipe mud, including one that said it absolutely had to be cigar ash - I always use pipe mud on the bottom of a new cob to fill in round the side of where the stem comes into the bowl - spit and any kind of tobacco ash works just fine. Mix it up into a fairly stiff paste, lay it on with a plastic thingy and leave it to dry for at least 24 hours and that should do the trick,

Gerry

I hadnt thought about doing that with the cobs, that little crevice in there irritates me. so now i'm deffintly going to do that too. thanks for all the pointers:D

Then there's the dairy method using equal parts sour cream and buttermilk mixed with ash to make a thick black paste. Works great. Dries like glue.

Falconeer

Hi Lucky,

Yes I first tried a cob back in the 60s, didn't know much about anything to do with pipes then and I quickly turned the cob into a gummed up evil tasting mess.

This time round I did a bit of research as I found I really loved cobs and wanted to keep them sweet - that bit down the sides worried me and I didn't want it full of old wet bad smelling tobacco residue and dottle so I tried the pipe mud and it really worked.

Now whenever I add (yet) another cob to my collection I do this straight off and have had no problems so far,

Gerry

Status
Not open for further replies.