How do you decide what to cellar

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Jayson H Bucy, Oct 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jayson H Bucy

Jayson H Bucy Member

One of my fist tins I purchased was WO Larson Limited Edition 2010. I liked it a lot but it dried out really quickly. So I guess what I'm asking is, is this something I should go back to the B&M and get more of and cellar it? I liked it, it's limited edition, and its an aro in a tin. Seems like its prime candidate to me, but I'm less on aros and more on English's right now but I want to revisit it later especially since the wife liked the room note more than anything else I smoked.

2. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Cellar whatever you enjoy smoking.

Does that Larson come in a bag inside a fancy tin? If so, make sure you mason jar it if you buy more. Those baggies are not airtight.

Limited editions are fun to cellar if you're looking to turn a profit on it at some point. I've done so myself. But mainly I take my own advice and cellar the blends I like to smoke. All 70 of them! :D

shadow, Beale and Mark w4mms like this.
  3. Jayson H Bucy

Jayson H Bucy Member

Yep, it had a handy "re-seal" tab that worked once on the bag. As soon as my jars get here I'm going to re-hydrate it and can it. I might go back and see how much the B&M has and try and get them to cut me a deal on the rest.

4. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Yep, that's what I plan to do. Now, if I can just find an easy way to stock up on Revor Plug.:whis:

5. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Cellar everything!:byg:

6. dmkerr

Find a buddy in the U.K that likes GL Pease or McClellands and swap. :)

Mark w4mms likes this.
  7. user1975

user1975 Active Member

That might be worth a try.

8. dmkerr

It's how I get St Bruno, mate! :th1:

9. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Whatever you like now. Whatever you "think" you'll like later. If it ages well, get plenty! ;)

Ed
    Puff

10. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

Whenever I hear of something I want to try, I order it, open it, smoke a couple of bowls and jar it. If I like the tobacco I'll add a couple of tins to my next order, if I don't I'll try it again later or trade it. When I find a bulk I really like (especially if it's not always available i.e. Penzance) I try to stock up when I can. This has my cellar pretty wide, with a little depth in a few areas. I've only been seriously cellaring for the last year or so, so I'm sure it will grow.

Mington, Puff The Magic and Capt like this.
  11. Capt

Capt Active Member

I do the same thing Jussto does.

Mington and Puff The Magic like this.
  12. sarge564

sarge564 Member

words to live by!

Mington and Puff The Magic like this.
  13. Puff The Magic

I aggressively started cellaring spring 2010. Started off with a few pounds of bulks (assorted) and about a dozen tins. I say aggressively! Tin count is at 1500+ and grand total bulks and tin wt (net leaf wt) is hovering at 350 pounds. Wide and deep! I'm set. I can sit back and watch the prices go up!

Cellar wide, cellar deep, cellar now!

Ed
    Puff

14. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

Holy cow! I'd have to pick up a third job and stop having any fun to stockpile that amount of leaf in under two years, bravo!

I'd been sort of off and on with the pipe for a few years, and just got really serious (pipe exclusively, no cigarettes) in the past year, I guess now that I'm a total convert it's time to get some depth going on. I'm not sure I'll be able to go about it as quickly as Puff though!

15. Puff The Magic

Take your time but realize some blends will disappear and prices will go up!

Ed
    Puff

16. Beale

Beale Active Member

I have Cellared what i like also. My cellar grows bigger but I am by no means in the Puff league, Beale.

17. sarge564

sarge564 Member

All those in favor of Puff posting a pic of this wide and deep cellar.........sound off!!

18. Jayson H Bucy

Jayson H Bucy Member

+1

19. dmkerr

It would have to be a series of photos unless his camera has a two-mile wide lens feature. He should make a coffee table book.

20. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

My wife decides what I should cellar... or should I say when I can purchase tobacco to cellar...
    So for me if she says "go ahead"...I click on whatevers available and check out before she changes her mind

Jayson H Bucy and el guero like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.