How do you jar flake?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Goat, Aug 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scurvy

Scurvy Member

Heat the bottom of the lid with a lighter or over the stove. That will loosen up the glue on the labels. Use a razor blade to carefully peel up around the edges of the label, then peel the rest off really slowly. The heat also helps make the glue nice and sticky so you can just stick it right on to you jar.

Arkie likes this.

2. user2453

user2453 Member

I'd like to know where you scored your box of FVF!

3. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

Do some of you rub out your flakes before jaring ?

4. Goat

Goat Active Member

Good question. I want to jar up some IF but don't have enough to fill a half pint jar. I was thinking either rub it, or buy about 5 more tins. (I'll probably buy more tins)

5. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I don't. I also don't think it would hurt anything, but you can fit more in if you keep it compact, and compact would also probably be ideal for aging.

While I don't intentionally rub flakes before jarring, I do always rub them out before smoking (or, almost always) so I don't take any special precautions in jarring them. It's a pretty unceremonious affair for me, often involving a lot of "get in there you $&#$^@!"

As a result, on the occasions where I send out a sample to someone, if it is a flake, it is probably broken flake (or close to it) when they get hold of it

6. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Eek!

He's ruining original packaging, chopping up magnificent Stonehaven and mashing it in jars!
    [​IMG]
    Eek! Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!

Me too. I have many pounds of the Stonehaven and Penzance, neither of whose wrappers I trust for long term, stuffed into Mason jars. I can even watch it start to look tastier, year after year. Penzance tins used to fail all the time, by the way; I thought the tobacco had aged poorly but it was the tins losing seals. Silly me. Most tins I trust, but no bag or pouch will I certify.

BradNTX likes this.
  7. Goat

Goat Active Member

Dude. Send me some of that Stonehaven.

8. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Getting back there I'd probably stumble over all of the Balkan Sobranie and hurt myself.

Mount Mandolin, Skrymr and Snake like this.
  9. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Someone on PSF was kind enough to post that an etailer had in stock and I snapped it and a pound of BBF.

10. cakeanddottle

cakeanddottle Member

8oz jars for smoking out of, 16oz widemouth jars for long term
    leave some daylight at the top of the jar so the chemistry can occur

11. user2725

user2725 Active Member

Another trick for getting tin labels off intact is to heat the lid from behind with a candle or lighter, it softens the adhesive and they will USUALLY come off easily.

12. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I honestly use quart size Mason jars from Clasico pasta sauce. We use one - two jars a week for meals. I simply scald them out and dry them with a clean cloth. I use a method to sterilize from a member of this forum. I put them into the microwave for two minutes, let them cool enough to handle, and put in the tobacco. I buy snap lids and fasteners in bulk and use them accordingly. The heat of the cooling jars will pop the lid in minutes.

I jar everything this way. If I get six tins I empty them and jar it up. Works like a charm for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.