How do you pack your rope?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Bent, Oct 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bent

Bent Member

We always get questions about pipe packing and lighting but it usually applies to loose tobacco. I thought it would be interesting to have a threat with the various ways you gents pack your ropes.

I usually slice really thin coins with a cigar cutter (a cheapie plastic cutter, the kind they give for free at smoke shops), rub the coins loose, and pack as if I was packing any ol' ribbon. This works well for me.

Bradabelko4 likes this.

2. Monkey

Monkey Active Member

I slice my ropes with my EDC pocket knife. Thicker slices for windy scenarios and sometimes I cut it on an angle to get even wider pieces of leaf. I rub, let it dry and cannonball it.

I cannonball everything...

3. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

The only rope I smoke is SG Black XX (so far). The inner core is hard, the exterior is a bit greasy feeling, and it is not easy to rub out. I just cut a hunk off, and break it up. The outside peels into bat wing-esq, oniony leaves and the inside tears into odd bits with different textures. I mix those up and load them loosely into whatever pipe I have the least respect for at the time. Default is my magnum Diplomat, which always seems up for some abuse.

OldSouled65 likes this.
  4. hansel

hansel Member

i either rub them, or ill slice a few real thin coins and overlap them like 1/2 way, fold in half and twist/stuff the small bowl. its takes a few lights throughout the bowl but it smokes a long time

MacNutz likes this.
  5. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

Like hansel I slice it into thin coins with a sharp meat cleaver and pack it into a smaller bowled pipe. Some times I rub it out after slicing. I'm just about to load up with a bit of brown bogie

6. Sly2517

Sly2517 Member

Nice methods! I am going to keep this in mind for when I get ahold of some rope tobacco.

7. gahdzila

gahdzila Member

Thin slices with a cigar cutter, then fully rub out, then set out on a paper plate to dry. Rope always seems to require a good bit of time out to dry. Pack as any ready rubbed baccy.

8. 1858remington

1858remington Active Member

"How do you pack your rope?"
    Oh the puns are endless on that question:D

BigJ likes this.
  9. SalopSt

SalopSt Member

A big "yes" on this. I've had a cleaver that has followed me pretty much everywhere I have been, and even when I haven't it still manages to turn up. When out walking, however, I just cut off chunks.... no style, no finesse.

MacNutz likes this.
  10. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Generally to the left.

Johnny Dingo likes this.
  11. Tsal

Tsal Old Timey

Lol... There's always one.

12. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

I figured I'd let Spill take this one.

Tsal likes this.
  13. Bradabelko4

Bradabelko4 Member

I opened my tin (SG Black XX) and let it sit for 2-3 months. Hacked away at it with a serrated knife on my multi-tool which kinda already rubbed it out for me. Finished rubbing it out, packed it normally (whatever that is), put some RYO crap on top to get it started. Then enjoy! It still requires a few relights, but I'm ok with that. This baccy is growin on me. I love.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.