How do you rehydrate flake?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Raffxr7, Mar 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

I recently got an order of New Minster Superior Navy Flake, which is too dry. There is tobacco dust/powder at the bottom of the bag, which is not a good sign. I have had failed attempts at rehydrating flake in the past--it simply became a ready rubbed version as the moisture expanded the product. When rolled and folded, the flake snaps in half. Is this a good example of when it is time to call customer service, or can I save it?

2. Professor

Professor Active Member

Yes - I had the same experience.

If the tin was sealed and the flakes were stone dry - I'd call them and ask for a new tin or refund.

3. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member

I'd be calling customer service on that one. Getting the moisture back in to a flake so that it doesn't fall apart is tough. I've been reasonably successful using just one of the pouch moisteners and leaving it in the jar with the flakes. I think the trick is to rehydrate very slowly.

Raffxr7 likes this.
  4. physiognomy

physiognomy Member

I admit I'm one who doesn't often bother with returning stuff, so I've played with this sort of thing before. You might find a better resolution by calling the vendor & having a chat with them? That said, I have had good luck with the following method... I generally place dry flake tobacco in a largish airtight plastic container with a small 2"x2" folded piece of kitchen paper wet (not dripping) with distilled water. Watch for mold & don't move things around too much... I agree that it is a process best done slowly & I only add (a little) more water once the paper is fairly dry. Repeat until you are happy with the moisture level. Good luck!

5. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

I've used the some of my beads that go in my humidor. I place the beads on one side of a container, the tobacco on the other side and put the lid on for a day or two. Due to the fact they only let the humidity get to 68-70% the tobacco comes out perfect. Not too damp but nothing 10 min of drying before smoking can't fix.

Professor likes this.
  6. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I had some success with rehydrating some uber dry HVM by using a method from one of our veteran smokers here at PSF. I placed it in a large metal bowl and dampened a tea towel placed over the bowl with a large rubber band holding the towel in place and completely covering the bowl (towel not making contact with the tobacco). Use a squirt or spray bottle filled with bottled water to damped the towel as it drys out. I did this for 24 hours and the tobacco actually rehydrated. And mine was bone/dust dry.

7. sarge564

sarge564 Member

Maybe I'm odd, but I don't mind re-hydrated toby and some times think its really good. Large plastic container (tight lid) toby in that with a little plastic container of water. In a couple days (depending how dry it was to start) it will be good to go.

8. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

I ordered it in bulk, so the dust was more evident. I gave one flake a try, it is darn tasty and smoked well. I will try the towel over a bowl method on a small portion and see how it fairs. When I transferred the tobacco, it had less dust than I thought, so it might be worth screwing with. I am strange, and don´t like to give up. However, I did leave the dust in the original bags in case I wound up sending it back. I didn´t think I could afford to loose any more moisture from it, though, so jarring was immediate.

Old Codger likes this.
  9. BriarRabbit

BriarRabbit Member

The idea below is actually from my wife who has had to rehydrate herbs and spices before because we've moved so much. That is: they got left in a box and said box wasn't found until a couple of moves (years) later. This also depends on if you are willing to risk a very faint taste of apple.

In a large bowl that has an airtight lid:
    1. Place a short/wide glass cup/mason jar in the center
    2. Cut an apple in half and place in the cup or jar with "meat" of the apple facing up
    3. Put your dried tobacco in the bowl, around the cup/jar - but not in the cup
    4. Put the lid on and press down to seal
    5. Write down the time; leave in for 48 hours: at least
    6. Do not open until you plan on taking the baccy out because all the moisture from the apple will escape
    If it's still dry, you can cut up another apple and go longer, but I've found that if the herbs don't rehydrate after two (96 hours) - they aren't going to. That said, I've not tried this on tobacco before.

Hope the above helps; if you try it, please let us/me know the outcome.

Professor likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.