1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

How Do You Rest?...

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Coda, Apr 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

...your pipes, that is. Do you smoke a pipe once, and then let it rest for a day? Or do you use the same pipe all day, and then let it rest a day or two. Just curious as to how you fellas go about resting your pipes.

...and for the million dollar question, do you rest your pipes shank up, or down?

2. JuJu McMojo

JuJu McMojo Member

Generally, I smoke 1 bowl/pipe and let it rest for a day--but I only smoke 1 bowl/day during the week anyway. The weekends, however, are a different matter, but I usually adhere to the same rules. I've smoked my meer "all day" (which for me is 5 bowls) will no ill effects to the pipe. I rest the pipes shank up after using a couple of pipe cleaners on it--I'm not too worried, then, that the moisture will "seep" into the bowl.

3. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

For the most part I rest them for the day. There have been times where I've only let them rest 2 hours..although that's rare.

4. CMUChip

CMUChip Member

I smoke a bowl a day in the same pipe, and store it stem up

5. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

Mine seem to rest best while listening to old Waylon Jennings songs along with Jessi Colter. With mood lighting.:whis:

6. jdto

jdto Active Member

I rotate mine and have yet to do more than one bowl in the same pipe on the same day. They usually rest several days, stem up.

CMUChip likes this.
  7. ruralhipster

ruralhipster Member

For my "work pipes" I only smoke one bowl per pipe a day in my briars, rest for at least a day, just throw them on a bar towel on the counter flat with the bowl up if possible. I will occasionally smoke a couple bowls in my cobs, meerschaums or falcon if I have to. At home I have way too many pipes so those pipes get lots of rest.

8. JescoWhite

JescoWhite Member

Same for me.

9. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Well-Known Member

One bowl in a pipe, pipe cleaner in & out, rested at slight shank up angle.

10. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Meers, Falcons, cobs, clays...I don't think rest, I think I'm in the mood for another pipe. They 'rest' by default.

Briar...i try to think 'one and done', but i'll smoke them repeatedly too.

Shank up, except cased meers which just lie there.

11. Bear84

Bear84 Member

I have one that's my workhorse that gets smoked once a day at the end of the workday. The others get rotated around and get several days rest in the rack.

CMUChip likes this.
  12. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

1 bowl per day, per pipe. I have enough to switch up if I want to smoke different tobaccos. I rest my smoked pipes for approximately 4 hours and then go to cleaning. I maintain my pipes religiously.

13. snowman

snowman Member

Pipes are mean't to be smoked and you can smoked them as much as you want with out hurting them.I smoke one pipe all day, ( 6 to 8 ) Bowls. Run a pipe cleaner through the pipe between smokes. The pipe will get a 7 or 8 day rest with stem up.

shadow, Old Ted and jdto like this.
  14. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

I rotate daily, just for the variety aspect. So every pipe gets at least 1 day rest, if not more.
    Sometimes, but not often, if I want to do a side by side comparison of 2 blends, I will smoke it back to back in the same pipe, but again, that is not that often.

15. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

What is rest .. oh , pipes . I got a bunch ... so I'll smoke some for a while them clean them and put them up and smoke others for a while ... etc

Mington likes this.
  16. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

This is close to what I do. I usually smoke 2 different pipes during the day, multiple times...and then they get the day off. I DO need more pipes though...;)

Hawkwood likes this.
  17. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

All my pipes rest stem up. If I'm at home I smoke a different pipe with every bowl, (most of the time), because I can. When I'm out I smoke a pipe all day. If I take a pipe with me as my all day smoker I won't smoke it for a day or two so that it gets some rest. :puffy:

dgerwin11 likes this.
  18. Siv

Siv Flame+Wood=Bad Idea

If you're worried about resting your pipes, you don't have enough pipes ;)

19. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I have no set rules or routine when it comes to rotating pipes, I usually rotate between several cobs in a day, discard the filter when done with them for the day, pass a pipe cleaner threw the stem and shank and set them aside to dry out for a couple of days, I have lots of cobs so having a fresh one available has never been a problem for me ;) And I really don't think it matters if you dry a pipe stem up, stem down or sideways, as long as the pipe is exposed to circulating air it will dry. :)

20. Klauswermann

Klauswermann Member

+1 to what iSiv said

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.