1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

How do you thin the herd?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by NickWilliams, Mar 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NickWilliams

NickWilliams Member

Now this is an idea that I like! I know I am new to the forum, but so far I am impressed with the folks here, and I would be absolutely psyched to do something like this.

I have 14 pipes picked out so far, and I would be willing donate any or all of them to raise some money for the PSF. I already have pictures and descriptions of all of them. I am okay with the idea of a raffle, but I like the idea of an auction even better. We could start the bidding at $5 on each pipe with the winning bidder paying their own shipping. All proceeds go to the upkeep of the forum. The only stipulations I have would be that all the pipes are sold "as is" and that an administrator of the forum would handle all the money.

Maybe a good cause is all the incentive I needed!

Preacher1611 and Kiowapipe like this.

2. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

Nick you don't want to risk having those Guildhalls going to bad home do you? They could join mine.
    Here are some of their brothers and sisters that could interact with at my house...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Don't put them out on the streets! :laff:

RTOdhner, Preacher1611 and Kiowapipe like this.
  3. JescoWhite

JescoWhite Member

Send the "neglected" ones to me. I'll put them to use :beck:.

4. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

Whoooa Dave!!! Those are magnificent. I having to wipe drool off my keyboard.

dwaugh likes this.
  5. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

Those are really nice Dave, I've always liked the Guildhall lines on the stem..:th1:

dwaugh likes this.
  6. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I've always wanted a Guildhall...or at least have for the past few months :ohyh:

This idea would of course need to be given an OK by Woody...but how about if the raffle had an entry fee? The fee would be the purchase of an account upgrade. If the potential participant isn't eligible for an account upgrade (already upgraded) they could just donate an extra five bucks and get entered. If I'm not mistaken, the fees for upgrades go to the site. I may be well mistaken about that...anyway, if I'm not mistaken about that, the entry fees would go towards supporting the site, you'd help out your fellow pipesmokers as well as PSF as a whole by supporting a sort of fund drive, and the participants would get a reasonable chance to win a really nice pipe for a price that would be pretty respectable if the purchase were made on ebay. Just a thought :)

Although I did just flat out throw away my second pipe ever...because it wasn't any good! For something like a raffle with a fee, I might be tempted to suggest being reasonably selective with the pipes offered...wouldn't want to get someone's hopes up only to win a clunker :puffy:

JescoWhite likes this.
  7. John Long

John Long Member

Wrap them individually and store them in shoe boxes somewhere in a dry hidden place. 30 years from now, when you miss today, you'll be glad you did.

Hawkwood, LifeOfRiley and dwaugh like this.
  8. Hawkwood

Hawkwood Member

I can offer no advice on this subject. I keep buying pipes and it's gotten to the point where I don't actually know how many I have.....

9. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Member

I second this. Some of the ones you decide to keep in the rack will go bad, get lost, etc. Pipes are unusual (at least for guy stuff) in that they can be fairly expensive, but don't take up a lot of space. Better to hang on to them and not regret parting with them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.