How I Get The Best Out Of My Falcons...

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by craig, Apr 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. craig

craig Active Member

Hey all hope your all well.

So ive had my falcons a good few months (round about 7-8 something like that), good thing about them is there one of the few pipes (in my area anyways), that are readily available where ever anywhere sells pipes.
    Falcons are pretty much ready to smoke from the off, they dont need any special prep to get them up and running, only thing they require is a propper break in period, but apart from that they are good to go.

Over time though and during smoking i have found a few little things that i can do to make the falcon the best smoker possible, well for me anyways.

On the leaflet you get with the pipe, it says tobacco can be smoked to the last shred, and while this is possible, there is a little something i found to make this a certainty.
    Falcon bowls when screwed on to the aluminium stem, the bottom of the bowl doesnt sit flush with metal sump, theres just a slight bit of briar that sits over the metal sump that for the first couple of months wont really matter but over time as i found anyways, when the cake builds, you will find find there will be a lump of tobacco that will sit at the bottom, refusing to smoke and refusing to relight.
    What i do is after about 3 months of smoking once the cake has started to form, i take the tip of my pipe knife, insert it through the bottom of the bowl and gently scrape the rim round the draught hole.
    Doing this makes the rim around the draught hole more slanted towards the sump, and i find i get the "smokes to the last shred" everytime.
    Another thing i do, which went against what i thought i was doing right in the first place, is dont dump the ash.
    Now and then through out the smoke i tamp the ash down so it is just a thin layer.
    i have found doing this results in a cooler pipe and a better, more even burn.
    I found when i was dumping the ash the burn would go all too pot, wouldnt burn evenly and if i had to do a relight i got a sour nasty taste.
    Now with keeping the ash it doesnt go sour and nasty for a few draws if i have to relight.

So there you go a few little easy things i find helps me get the best from my falcons, try it, it might work for you as well.

happy smoking

YAPPG, Stonewall, Coda and 1 other person like this.

2. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Well said Craig!, something I find is - the hole 'closes up' slightly in time, I run one of my hand reamers through it periodically (10mm - if memory serves) - but a twist-drill would do it - carefully turned by hand of course....it surprising - the dirt/carbon that is removed.
    OT

YAPPG and dwaugh like this.
  3. craig

craig Active Member

Thank you ted :), i found that about 4 months in with the first bowl i had that it had closed up, it gurgled, hissed and dripped with moisture and it was frustrating as hell and tbh i felt like binning the bloody thing as i thought at the time, finished off that smoke (with extreme frustration), left it a couple of days and had a good look at it and noticed the draught hole was practically shut ran my pipe knife round it and it has smoked like a dream ever since.

The thing with falcons yes they are brilliant pipes for the money and they do give fantastic smokes but they do require some tlc over the time its owned.
    How the older fellas coped with it without cleaning, opening up the draught hole etc i never know

YAPPG likes this.
  4. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I haven't experienced this as of yet. I usually clean it immediately after smoking removing the bowl once cooled down and clean out the metal reservoir. I run a bristled pipe cleaner throught the draught hole. As for the bowls, I twist a coarse Paper towel into the bowl removing any gunk or tobacco. I usually soak the stem in oxiclean over night to remove built up gunk and tar from the stem.

Do you guys run a hand reamer into the draught hole in the reservoir where the stem connects?

YAPPG and craig like this.
  5. Aes28

Aes28 Member

Oxiclean? I assume that is with the chrome stem? Do you think it could work with the Falcon Extras as well? Without destroying the brown coloring, I mean.

6. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I don't, just an alcohol soaked cleaner.
    OT

YAPPG likes this.
  7. craig

craig Active Member

I do same as ted as well .... Although now i have ran out of jd ill have try and syphon some of dads brandy and seen as though it is martel fine cognac ill probably get scalped if i get caught

YAPPG likes this.
  8. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

That I wouldn't know. I've only owned the polish stems. And when I soak mine I just submerge them up to the bit. I clean out the bit with pipe cleaning solvent. I think its made by Brebbia.

YAPPG likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.