1. This forum is for DIY Repair, Maintenance & Restoration. It is for people seeking advice on maintaining their own pipes. It is not for showing off commercial work done by yourself or anyone else.

Dismiss Notice

How is this done?

Discussion in 'Stems & Stummels' started by DogTalker, Nov 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DogTalker

DogTalker Member

Help a newbie out! How do you put a decorative band on a stem, then more stem? Here's a pic to illustrate.

[​IMG]

2. daveinlax

daveinlax Member

It's three pieces. The briar band and the collar are probably rings that slip over the tennon, glued in place and finished as one piece if that makes any sense. I had a collar piece slip off and come apart once, otherwise I wouldn't know. :confused:

DogTalker and Spillproof like this.
  3. browny

browny Member

I'm not an expert yet (just starting to mess about with stems)...from all the watching and reading I have done they fit and glue the accents/rings etc before external shaping is done.
    If you can't find anything on youtube let me know I'll dig up some vid' links for you.

4. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Well-Known Member

Both answers are right. That is essentially a stem with a very long tenon at some point, over which a ring of briar is slipped and glued, and over that another ring/donut of stem material glued. Then the whole thing is shaped and polished.

DogTalker and browny like this.
  5. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Well-Known Member

DogTalker and dBear like this.
  6. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

It can be done two ways.

On the stem, you use an extra long tenon and glue the drilled and squared sections to the stem and tenon, then shape to fit.

On the shank, you can either cut a tenon onto the shank, then slip asccent rings over that, or cut an oversize mortise into the shank, and an oversize tenon on your accent piece (s). Glue together, drill your standard size tenon, and shape to fit.

The easier of the two is to assemble on the stem..................<grin> Either way, it's a lot of tedious work, and so far my success rate is like.....low!

I have no clue either Todd, but that's an awesome look!

fallsguy likes this.
  7. ArmedOctopus

ArmedOctopus Active Member

browny and DogTalker like this.
  8. maddis

maddis Sales Account

Here's what it looks like when you put an inlay on the shank. One side of the ivory has been faced to be flush with the ring of ebonite behind it. I'll face the other side when I turn down the tenon slightly, then put another ebonite ring on, then face that and all will be swell (fingers crossed). [​IMG]

browny likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.