How long after opening a tin do you jar?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by sorringowl, Jul 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sorringowl

sorringowl sorringowlandsons.com

Okay, now that I've been smoking going on a few years, I keep noticing something.

If I open a tin, and leave the baccy in there, say, 6 months to a year, the flavor of the toby seems to dissipate the longer it's in there.

I've noticed with certain tins (like those of C&D and GL Pease--the lined, coffee can type), the freshness of the toby lasts much longer. But with other toby tins (especially a square tin, say, like FVF, or, a round, flat tin, like, Balkan Sasieni), the longer it's in there, the worse off the toby gets.

So, my question is, how long after you open a tin, do you jar?

David Emond likes this.

2. phinz

phinz Active Member

I jar immediately after loading the first bowl.

David Emond likes this.
  3. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

Unless I'm gonna smoke it up, I jar it up right away.

David Emond and cobbsmoker like this.
  4. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I seldom buy tobacco in a tin, but when I do - I open the tin and smoke the contents, the remnants of which seem hardly worth putting in a jar YMMV!
    OT

David Emond likes this.
  5. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I have some McC, some GLP, and some C&D that have been open 8+ months, they are all fine to me. Hell, I open most of them at least a month before I intend to smoke them.

David Emond and cobbsmoker like this.
  6. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I open a tin and transfer the tobacco immediately to a jar.

David Emond likes this.
  7. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

Some tins definitely hold up better than others. I think the squat metal round tins have been best for me. I've heard the square metal ones (like SG) are less good, but I've only recently cracked into a few like that. The taller cardboard ones with plastic lids... I worry most about these. I had some McClellands go dry when I was a newer smoker, though I didn't smoke as often so for all I know I may have had them for a year.

If you think you'll go through something within a few months, the tins are fine. Otherwise I'd get them into mason jars stat.

David Emond likes this.
  8. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

I usually leave it in the tin until the moisture level is perfect for smoking and then jar it. That is for tins. For bulk it gets jarred immediately if it is going to be aged. If I buy like a couple ozs to try or to smoke right away I do the same as with a tin. When the moisture level is just right I jar it to keep it from drying out too much.

David Emond and Tony Malerich like this.
  9. Monkey

Monkey Active Member

What's a tin?

Haha. I open it, jar it immediately and smoke it. Then I decide if it is pound worthy.

10. Uncleowen

Uncleowen Member

Kind of related... I found some old opened over the last two weeks. They are about 5 years old. Some, obviously have been tossed. But a few still don't smell too bad-- SL, Caravan, a few others whose names leave me know! Can they be salvaged? A few were opened and I never even smoked them. Advice?

David Emond likes this.
  11. ruralhipster

ruralhipster Member

I usually try to jar up 1/2 to 3/4 of the tin within the first few days it's open. I smoke the rest over the next week or two. I try not to have more than a couple tins open at any one time and smoke from an assortment of small jars.

David Emond likes this.
  12. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I jar it immediately, unless I plan on killing that tin in a month or less.

David Emond likes this.
  13. JescoWhite

JescoWhite Member

I put it into jars imediately. Tobacco left in tins dries out very fast where I live.

David Emond likes this.
  14. sorringowl

sorringowl sorringowlandsons.com

Thanks for all your input, gents. Yeah, from what I'm finding, I think I need to start jarring sooner than later. Even the toby in my coffee can type tins seem to be missing some of the flavor they had when I first opened them. I tend to have a lot of open tins and a lot of back up tins for those. I may have to start buying in bulk. I also may need to get some more mason jars.

In other words, as Chief Brody would say, "You're gonna' need a bigger boat.":puffy:

David Emond likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.