How long do you charr?

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by brunchman, Jul 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brunchman

brunchman Member

Hey guys just a quick pipe lighting question,

How long do you spend charring your toby before tamping and relight? And most importantly whats your technique? Do you hold the flame in there puffing away until charred OR do you bring the flame in, puff and then draw away....bring the flame in, puff and then draw away for seconds at a time?

2. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

In short, I do about one match worth of charring. Large or moist bowls may take it all the way to my fingers, smaller or dryer may not need quite so much though. I generally keep the match close to the bowl unless conditions are such that it's burner particularly hot and fast, and then I'll touch and go.

3. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

1) soft flame, 5 to 6 puffs, tamp. 2) repeat. 3) light & enjoy.

orto likes this.
  4. snowman

snowman Member

Myself I never charr.I light my pipe and smoke a bowl.

Glenn, Jammer, phinz and 3 others like this.
  5. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

It depends on the type of leaf and how moist it is. If I fold & stuff a moist flake or load up some Cube Cut Burley, I will char 2-3 times. I don't think the number of times is as important as seeing that the top is evenly lit. Once the top is lightly blackened, I will tamp and relight.

Flame technique varies as well. If its an easy batch, I'll light and go with just a touch and couple of puffs. Other times I hold the flame on and toke like no tomorrow. Again, the important part is getting the top lit evenly so you burn evenly to the bottom. You'll get the flame and charring part down once you've learned to pay attention to what it looks like instead of how you are doing it.

Old Codger likes this.
  6. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I usually take a soft draw or two using a soft flame, just enough to crust the top, wait for it to extinguish, tamp lightly, then light. If I am smoking moist flakes I will toast the top several times before tamping and lighting to smoke.

7. brunchman

brunchman Member

Cheers for the response guys, just one more question, when your using a lighter do you put the flame in the toby and draw or hover it over the bowl and draw it in?

8. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I put flame to tobacco.

BradNTX likes this.
  9. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member

Depends on how the tobacco reacts to the initial heat. If it swells upwards I'll give it another slightly harder puff or two under flame and then let it go out and tamp the surface gently till it's a flat surface. If the tobacco stays flat under initial flame then just try and blacken the whole top surface a little with another puff. Tamp lightly and enjoy.

10. BradNTX

Try different ways and see how the tobacco reacts. You'll get the techniques down soon enough.

MacNutz likes this.
  11. Locopony

Locopony Member

chared tobacco looks chared, char it till its chared. You will be able to see it then when you tamp it and relight it it very even looking red cherry on the top. If not do it again, there is no pass or fail only do it till its right then move on with life. It gets easier with practice.
    I prefer matches because you can draw the fire down to the toby, lighters well you gotta do it how ever you can with out scorching the bowl.

12. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

I don't usually char unless I'm about to walk a mutt. Then I char it so that it will light easy when I'm outside in the rain and wind, which we get a lot of here, esp. the rain. Broad brimmed hats are a necessity for pipe smoking here.:rolleyes:
    I've not actually thought much about the char, it seems to depend on the nature of the tobacco and the size of the pipe.

Kiowapipe likes this.
  13. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

I don't really char, I just keep lighting until it stays lit :)
    As for the actual lighting process, there's two primary considerations: get the tobacco burning, and don't scorch the rim of your pipe. You have to get the flame close to the tobacco to accomplish #1, but you can't keep it there too long or you'll fail on #2.

SouthBound likes this.
  14. Professor

Professor Active Member

That's exactly how I charr too! :)

WrightwoodJohn likes this.
  15. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I never got exactly what a "charring light" was supposed to do.

Glenn likes this.
  16. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

Are you sure you don't smoke cobs?

Glenn and jpberg like this.
  17. Professor

Professor Active Member

Oh boy, oh boy - jpberg's revenge will be terrible... :eek:

jpberg, dwaugh and SmokeyJoe like this.
  18. BradNTX

If you dry your tobacco to where its already close to being ash, I don't think it matters. Otherwise, slightly moist tobacco swells, and some parts sticking up light better than the rest. You toast it, flatten it, and relight so you have an even burn from the start. :bing:

orto likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.