How long do you let aromatics dry out for?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by brunchman, Jul 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

Just saw this bit... +1 to Longbottom's comment here. On my brief European excursion at the start of summer I saw far more Larsen over there than I ever have stateside. It should be around somewhere!

2. Wfd38383

Wfd38383 Member

Newb question here but how do you know what the moisture of the baccy is? It all feels the same to me

3. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Here's a simple way to test a tobacco, take a pinch of tobacco between two fingers and pinch it, then release it, if the pinch of tobacco springs back its ready to smoke.

4. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

I think you could set it on a rock in the desert for 3 years and it wouldn't dry out. It's soaked with propylene glycol to keep it from drying out.

5. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

Two weeks, outa be kinda dry.

6. brunchman

brunchman Member

Looking at buying some flake for the first time, anyone know what the recommened dry out period for these are? I heard about 1 week but that sounds like too much

7. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

Which flakes are you looking at? It will vary. All the SG ones I've tried (which is admittedly only... three now) are quite moist and can use a good 20-30 minutes (when I'm feeling patient enough to wait). By contrast, I just cracked open some Solani Silver Flake this morning and it was perfect right out of the tin. Also I think a week is more about giving a new tin some breath time -- but that's still enclosed in the tin after the seal is broken, that's not sitting on your counter airing out.

8. brunchman

brunchman Member

Ah sweet thanks for that, yeh im looking at the SG. I dont know why but straight Virginia flakes just seem to be loved by everyone haha.

9. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

Good gracious, you're in Britain and you're not smoking Gawith & Hoggarth? You should remedy that situation. Get some Condor, too. America has wonderful pipe tobacco, but British-style aro's (Lakeland/floral) are the very best kind of aro's if you ask me. Bob's Chocolate Flake, Kendal Mixture/Flake, Ennerdale Flake, etc. You guys have it pretty good for aro's.

As for drying it, I usually do it on a bowl by bowl basis, and you kind of just get the feel of it after awhile. Careful though, some blends will lose some of the flavor if dried too much. Had that happen to me with some SG Perfection, which has a slight vanilla taste that will disappear if you let it get too dry.

10. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

Drying aromatics?? I leave them out in the sun until they turn to dust and blow away.:csmile:

SouthBound and Tony Malerich like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.