How long?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Unforgivin, Jun 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Anybody have an idea of how long tobacco will keep in it's original tub? It's opened but I only smoke it about once a day or every two days.

I was also thinking of placing the whole tub in one of those gallon zip locs to help.

Or should I just go ahead and mason jar it?

I just don't want the stuff to get funky if it sits 2 or 3 months. :dunno:

2. woody

woody Admin Admin

It could dry out so I would go ahead and jar it to be safe.

3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Well-Known Member

It won't "get funky" - I routinely have jars open for over a year. But it may dry out, as Woody says. Mason jars or bail-tops are the way to go if you have a big load of leaf.

4. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Jar it.

5. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I don't know how often Blue Moons come around, but I smoke PA once every couple of them. I've had a tub opened for about 5 years, with a pouch of 5 Bros thrown in about two years ago. I really haven't noticed where it has suffered for it.

That being said, I would liken tobacco to bread. Wonder bread is full of stuff to keep it on your shelf for a while, just like OTCs are full of stuff to keep on the drugstore shelf for months. If you are going to be smoking from this tub regularly, I wouldn't worry about it. If you plan on cellaring a portion for the long term, I would mason jar it.

I've recently been smoking through some C&D samples that I've had for over a year, I never took them out of the baggies that they shipped in, (C&D are pretty dry tobacs anyway) and they are smoking just fine. You'll have a helluva lot more problems when your tobacco is too wet.

6. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi,

A lot depends on how moist the tobacco was when you opened it, how well the tin or pack seals and whether or not the tobaccco is an aromatic or not.

If you're going to take more than a week or two to smoke it, I'd definitely say jar it to be on the safe side,

Best meantime

Gerry

7. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

So jar it it is...thanks guys. :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.