how many names are there for 1-Q?

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by CMAsailor, Jun 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CMAsailor

CMAsailor Active Member

How many different names of 1Q are floating around out there?

2. WillH

WillH Active Member

Okay, what the hell is 1Q. Pitty the ignorant:rolleyes:.

Will

3. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

1q is a lane bulk that is very much like one of the CB blends [ Lane makes cB ] . It's a hugely popular blend and most tobacconist will carry it in their B&M and rename it or call it 1q

4. BluesGuy

BluesGuy Member

How many different B&M are there

beammeuptothesky and xnowimcoolx like this.
  5. WillH

WillH Active Member

Thanks Ruff:)

Will

6. telltime

telltime Active Member

I know for sure that Tinderbox's "Wilshire" is Lane 1Q because an owner of one of the store affirmed that when I asked.

7. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

The first time I had it was from The Briary in Homewood, AL and they called it Yorkshire.

8. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Lets get scientific here...

i = number of individual pipe shops in North America in the last 30 years

"i" multiplied by one will give you the exact number you're looking for.

9. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Helpful as always...:)

Is a buttload a scientific term? Man, just about every Mom 'n Pop B&M shop will have it...and almost always it seems to change names. It's apparently the top selling pipe blend out there...no thanks to me, though.

10. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

It's not just in pipe shops. It's also in various OTC's such as Captain Black Royal, not to mention various drugstore marques... you know, the stuff that comes in bags marked "Walgreens Best" or some such.

Lane's 1Q is the biggest seller in the U.S and has been for several years. It's still around - Lane ain't!

11. SittinNMyChairSmokin

SittinNMyChairSmokin Member

I assume there are as many names for 1-Q as there are tobacco retailers both digital and B&M. It seems everybody has a renamed version.

12. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

Hundreds, if not thousands. I have often wondered if this stuff doesnt' contain non tobacco additives. It just doesn't burn with the characteristics of tobacco.

13. Brian

Brian Member

I like 1Q. What I don't like is the local B&M's messing with it. I like to support the local shops when I can. It seems like too many mess with it. If nothing, they sometimes add extra PG to keep it "fresh" sitting in their glass bulk jars. I think that's the source of people saying it's goopey or artificial. When I bought it in bulk from pipesandcigars, it was great -- little or no PG, and perfect moisture for smoking.

The other thing I notice sometimes, is they want to be unique and mix a little of something else to make it "proprietary." There's a chain of shops here in MD that has a blend they call "Anniversario." I swear it's just 1Q but it tastes and smells just ever so slightly different. I wish I could walk in their shop and just buy 1Q from them. The clerks always look at me like I have 9 heads when I ask. They don't even know what I am talking about.

Salcheech likes this.
  14. jeff394

jeff394 Member

1Q was my first tobacco. I walked in my local B&M and said "Pipe smoking for dummies, please", and got two ounces of this stuff that they called Country Time and a MM Legend corn cob pipe thrown at me. I smoked it for a week before I found out that it was really 1Q. I still smoke it once or twice a week when I get a sweet tooth.

15. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

Its this kinda stuff that makes me dislike the few B&Ms I've been to, and seeing how it always comes up it must be quite widespread. Renaming bulk blends, pretending they blend everything themselves, pg and glass jars, hawking cheap basket pipes as "hundred year old Algerian briar that has been miraculously rediscovered," etc., etc. Its stuff like this that'll make sure a new pipe smoker has a horrible time right out the gate. *

* I'm well aware that this doesn't represent the entirety of the B&M game and I still want to go to Iwan Ries someday to see what I'm missing.

Brian likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.