How many open tins.

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Goat, Aug 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iain

Iain Active Member

I don't use jars so 3 is my self imposed limit too.

2. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

When I open a tin, I jar it pretty quickly as I rotate through 30 or 40 different blends. So technically I have about 40 open tins that are in jars. Maybe more.

Paul

Old Codger likes this.
  3. cakeanddottle

cakeanddottle Member

How many jars do you have?

4. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

Hi Mike, If you are refering to me, somwhere in the area of 140-150 pint size jars and a bunch of smaller ones that I was buying when I started jarring. I still have a ways to go before I can say I am set. But I'm getting there. I would like to utilize qt size jars, and I might start using them for bulk but I like the size of pint size jars for 100g tins that I open and forget about. I am also a firm believer that a little air in the jar is good for aging.

Paul

Old Codger likes this.
  5. cakeanddottle

cakeanddottle Member

Nope, just answering the question with another question.

6. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

Can't remeber how many opened tins I have. I can tell you I don't have any sealed tins.

Old Codger and Rodfather like this.
  7. Goat

Goat Active Member

Same thing with me. I usually wait till I finish off a tin before I try a new one.

Ted Vig likes this.
  8. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

About a dozen or so. I know I should jar them but im a slacker like that.

9. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Member

I have three open, maybe about 12 unopened. Going forward, I'll probably keep that the same, or cut back to two only two being open.

I also have about 10 blends in jars. Most of the jars I dip into occasionally, but a couple I'm letting age without interruption. I should probably jar the open tins as well, but having them open forces me to get through them. That way I don't end up with a bunch of 8oz jars with two bowls' worth of tobacco in them, which would take up a lot of unnecessary space.

10. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

Variety is the spice of life. I would hate to say how many I have open. Whenever I buy a new blend, I buy two. I open one and jar it in 4 oz. Mason/ Ball jars. Those that don't tickle my fancy get relegated to the bottom drawer. The rest I smoke on whatever whim hits me. I am not a very heavy smoker, less than 10 bowls per week. Trying new tobaccos is what really turns my crank.

LifeOfRiley, jhguthlac and Old Codger like this.
  11. Johnny Dingo

Of course, the day I write this, I go home to reorganize my tobacco drawer (there's no way I can call it a cellar with a straight face), and I find a sealed tin of Ten Russians. So I have 1 sealed tin and a crapton of jars.

12. JuJu McMojo

JuJu McMojo Member

How much is a crapton? I'll never get the hang of this metric system.

I generally keep 2 open tins / jars-- 1 lat and the other a VA and/or burley. When I finish one, I open another of the same genre. I also keep a jar of Ennerdale and another aromatic on hand (currently OldChurch) which I dip into on occasion.

13. Johnny Dingo

I think it comes out to 2.74 buttloads. I might be mistaken.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.