How Many Pipes?

DGErwin11

Staff member
This is meant to be helpful for the newer pipe smokers.

There are many myths we spread that might lead one to believe you need 1 pipe per bowl smoked in a week. So if you smoke 6 bowls a day times 7 days a week you would need 42 pipes. Balderdash.

New pipers often ask how often a pipe can be smoked. Or how many do they need to give a pipe adequate rest.

Pipes are not fragile. I have many that I smoke all day, 8 - 12 bowls and they hold up just fine.

I'd say, if your budget can afford it, 5 or 6 pipes would be enough. If you decide to build to that number quickly, you might stock your rotation with cobs and drug store pipes. Just about all of us have been there and done that. And if you stop buying pipes at this point you can still enjoy many years of pleasure from you minimal investment.

But in my humble opinion, you will be well served to budget for a higher grade pipe. Maybe you don't feel comfortable dropping $200 - $300 on an artisan pipe. I know it took me several years to convince myself to do so. But companies like Savinelli, Kaywoodie, Briar Works Intl and others sell some mighty fine pipes at around $100.00. I think at that price point you start to see an improvement. So maybe you slow down your rate of acquisition and buy better, if fewer, pipes. YMMV

DGErwin11

Staff member
Agreed. I had a link (can't find it) where they cut open some older codger pipes to see the damage day in and day out smoking did to 'em. The pipes were fine. That convinced me one or two pipes is all that needed if your about the baccy.
This just proves there is no magical formula to figure it out. Each of us have to figure out what works best for us.

Richard

Fundamentally Unsound
Patron
I have 5 cobs and a Grabow in rotation at the moment, and as far as smoking pleasure goes I couldn't be happier. It's true that I've purchased some briar pipes lately, but that has more to do with a growing appreciation of the art and, yeah - I'll admit it - a little vanity. If I hadn't come into an unexpected windfall I would be very satisfied with the cob herd. I read someone's post that they are, after all, just a tobacco smoke delivery device, and I couldn't agree more. That being said, I can't wait for Christmas/the postman so I can try out my new ones ;)

Super K

This is meant to be helpful for the newer pipe smokers.

There are many myths we spread that might lead one to believe you need 1 pipe per bowl smoked in a week. So if you smoke 6 bowls a day times 7 days a week you would need 42 pipes. Balderdash.

New pipers often ask how often a pipe can be smoked. Or how many do they need to give a pipe adequate rest.

Pipes are not fragile. I have many that I smoke all day, 8 - 12 bowls and they hold up just fine.

I'd say, if your budget can afford it, 5 or 6 pipes would be enough. If you decide to build to that number quickly, you might stock your rotation with cobs and drug store pipes. Just about all of us have been there and done that. And if you stop buying pipes at this point you can still enjoy many years of pleasure from you minimal investment.

But in my humble opinion, you will be well served to budget for a higher grade pipe. Maybe you don't feel comfortable dropping $200 - $300 on an artisan pipe. I know it took me several years to convince myself to do so. But companies like Savinelli, Kaywoodie, Briar Works Intl and others sell some mighty fine pipes at around $100.00. I think at that price point you start to see an improvement. So maybe you slow down your rate of acquisition and buy better, if fewer, pipes. YMMV
New and seasoned smokers alike, this is solid advice. Sometimes the key to more, is less.