How much smoke, how many relights, do you stir?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverFox

Ok so I will preface this with saying that the Brigham tobacco I have been told won't smoke very well.

Alas at this point it is all that I have so I have been smoking a few bowls. While I think it is a very faint flavour the morning blend is still enjoyable (if I could double the flavor that would be great)

Now to my questions.

It seems that I get not much smoke from the pipe, now this is in comparison to a cigar so perhaps that is normal. I can get more if I flare it but then it heats up and I have read enough about tongue bite to know I don't want to go there. So is it the tobacco? I think my packing is pretty good, I got to the bottom of two bowls today without much difficulty and the draw was good. I don't mind sipping at all but I would like a little more smoke?

Also how many average relights do you have.......I think I would average 8 to 10 per bowl........surely this can't be normal?

When it gets near the bottom of the last 2 bowls I stirred the ash off dumped it and then stirred the tobacco a bit, and was able to smoke almost all of it. Is this ok or am I going to cause problems.

Zanaspus

My thoughts.

1) You will never come close to the volume of smoke with a cigar this side of making your pipe explode.

2) Depends. Sometimes when the stars align, I can use one match. Others, with inattention and/or tobacco choice and moisture, I can use 20.

3) Sounds like a fine end-of-bowl routine to me.

I too am a convert from cigars. In the beginning, I got kind of annoyed at smoke volume or lack thereof. My advice would be to forget about the cigars for a few weeks. When you return, you'll think they smoke too much. :XD:

Let's work on one thing at a time.I think a good place to start is learning how to pack your pipe.If youre relighting 8-10 times per bowl with little smoke,then chances are you're packing too tight.This will take some time to learn.Packing a pipe becomes easier once you learn what the tobacco is supposed to "feel like".I will give you a clue,SPRINGY is what you want.If your tobacco is stiff or hard to the touch,then it is too tightly packed.If you press on it and it has some bounce,or springyness,then youre ready.I use the 3step packing method,always making sure that the top layer is springy.You'll have to study packing methods.That should get you started.Im sure that others will chime in with more valuable advice.I hope this helps.

SilverFox

Mountain Man said:
Let's work on one thing at a time.I think a good place to start is learning how to pack your pipe.If youre relighting 8-10 times per bowl with little smoke,then chances are you're packing too tight.This will take some time to learn.Packing a pipe becomes easier once you learn what the tobacco is supposed to "feel like".I will give you a clue,SPRINGY is what you want.If your tobacco is stiff or hard to the touch,then it is too tightly packed.If you press on it and it has some bounce,or springyness,then youre ready.I use the 3step packing method,always making sure that the top layer is springy.You'll have to study packing methods.That should get you started.Im sure that others will chime in with more valuable advice.I hope this helps.
That is why I think on packing I am ok. It is springy and I have been using the 3 step method. However, having said that it is very possible that I have not been getting right. I am looking forward to getting some other tobaccos so that I can put my pack to the test.

Yea,different tobaccos take different packing methods.For me,the harder the tobacco is to keep lit,the looser I pack it.I dont pack cube cuts at all,I just gravity fill and tamp as necessary.For tobaccos that burn up quickly,I pack a little on the firm side.

Silverado

Honestly, 3 to 20. It depends on how much attention I'm paying to smoking. When I read, it's a lot of times per bowl.

I stir sometimes near the end.

Smoker99

Eight to ten relights per bowl is way too many, something is wrong here. If you want clouds of smoke, smoke a high quality burley blend. Try some of the C&D burley blends, they will cloud your room in no time. Virginias, and highly processed burlies will produce a very thin smoke.

Falconeer

Hi,

Switching to the pipe after other forms of smoking can be difficult ( with me it was cigarettes and lots of them way back when ) If getting a big volume of smoke is pretty important to you the ways to go maybe could be to try the tobacco types mentioned earlier or to try either a corncob or a Falcon system pipe - both have a pretty open bore, both can absorb loads of moisture so smoke drier and this might help.

If the moisture problem isn't too bad the old trick of gently blowing down the bowl from time to time while smoking can help a bit. Is your tobacco really moist before you light up? I'm struggling at present with St. James Flake and have found it needs drying out for the best part of a day before it'll stay alight in the pipe.

Remember it takes time to find a smoking tecnique and tobacco that suits you - you'll know when you've got there, when you take a strong notion for a smoke and it's a pipe that comes into your mind!

Gerry

Silverado

While I'd love to experiece that sublime smoke that stays lit and burns all the way to the edges from the start, I've ceased being bothered by tamping and relighting.

I am however going to replace the excellent pipe lighter that I seem to have lost; it's a bit much to light that many wooden matches.

FWIW, I've tried every filling method I can think of; gravity, anti-gravity, 3-step, Frank, etc.

The tobaccos I have on had are both ribbon cut. One is moister than the other, but after some drying I think the moisture level of both is correct when I smoke them.

Perhaps it's the pipe, or it's just me, I don't know.

Silverado

LOL, no, it's when I strap on my anti-gravity boots, stand on the ceiling and fill my pipe upside-down, or rightside-up as it were.

Actually, I found it illustrated as basically a 2 or 3 step fill, holding the pipe upside-down and with little or no pressure applied to the leaf. Mostly it's an awkward pain in the ass.

I seem to have the best success with the Frank technique.

Demented

SilverFox said:
It seems that I get not much smoke from the pipe? I would like a little more smoke
Smoking English mixtures yet? G.L.Pease Westminster is very smoky, the wife who loves the aroma of Latakia (reminds her of camping), is not so pleased by the clouds of smoke generated by this tobacco.

SilverFox said:
how many average relights do you have?
Never counted, but it varies greatly depending on what I?m doing. When reading or writing, the pipe tends to go out quite a bit more often than say if I?m sitting and smoking.

I wouldn?t worry about it. One day you?ll try to relight your pipe thinking it has gone out only to discover there is nothing but ash in the bowl.

SilverFox said:
When it gets near the bottom? I stir the ash dumped it then stir the tobacco.
Don?t stir myself until I?m going to dump out the ash/dottle, can?t think of any reason this would be a problem though. The norm for me is tamp, dump, relight or dump, fill, relight.

Marc

In my opinion, pipe smoking is not about making clouds of smoke, to do that you will be smoking way to fast and hot, the only smoke I experience is when first lighting a bowl and its minimal, number of relights when smoking a pipe are irrelevant and while smoking your pipe all you need to do is gently tap down ash as you smoke down to the bottom of the bowl for a cool, dry smoke.

Deckard

justcobs said:
while smoking your pipe all you need to do is gently tap down ash as you smoke down to the bottom of the bowl for a cool, dry smoke.
Truer words were never spoke. That said sometimes I too crave a little stronger punch now and again. You don't have to smoke hot or fast to get a thick mouthful of smoke, try buying the higher quality tobaccos and taking a long slow draw.

cst

I tend to tamp a lot. I like a stiffer draw than a lot of you guys from what I can tell reading here. I probably relight twice on average. Nearly always at the end of the bowl.
If you are enjoying yourself, chances are you are doing it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.