how quick to smoke?

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by Scruffy, Sep 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scruffy

Scruffy Member

I smaoked cigarettes for 7 years and just swutched to pipes a week ago how ever I feel like my pipes is getting to hot even if I slow down my smoking as best I can and of course the tongue bite literaly bites anyone have any advice on this or do I need to jusr get rid of my old cig habits? Also I tend to inhale from time to time I find my "the good stuff"res blend pipe tabbacco has a satisfiying effect when inhaled but "black magic" and "cherry c." While having a satisfiying taste and amazing aroma aren't for the inhale mixing a bit of GS with either does the trick but I was curious if anyone has a trick to fix this or if its just something I need to adjust to

2. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

If you're referring to "The Good Stuff" I'm familiar with, it should have a pleasing effect when inhaled... it's meant for rolling cigarettes. I'm not familiar with the other tobaccos you've named. Inhaling pipe smoke is something that the majority of pipe smokers avoid. Pipe smoke and cigarette smoke are two different beasts. How long a pipe should last when smoking it is going to be determined by many factors, not the least of which is tobacco choice. I've smoked "The Good Stuff" in a pipe before. The tobacco tends to burn into a hot ball in the center of the pipe rather quickly, as such it's intended to do. Most pipe tobaccos burn at a slower rate. Not being familiar with the aromatics you've listed, I'd suggest you take a look at tobacco selection first and foremost if you're wanting to stick with the pipe. The rest of the factors, such as pipe design and technique will be a lot easier to come by then.

3. Dan Manchester

Dan Manchester Member

4. Scruffy

Scruffy Member

Thanks I was refering to the good stuff the bag says pipe tabbacco but I know people who use it just for cigs. And I know most pipe smokers aviod inhale I'm still a noob so I guess its a habit ill have to learn to break as for the aromatics my shop has them in jars not sure where they get it but I highly recomend them dispite I current failure to break the inhale habit. U still love the both thanks for the advice its is appreciated. I plan to stay wit

5. Scruffy

Scruffy Member

with pipes

6. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

The pipe has helped me leave the cigs behind, after many, many years of smoking them.

It is a good idea to wean yourself off inhaling. That may require stronger tobacco to give you the nic hit you need at this point. The nic hit is slower with pipes but lasts longer, or seems to.

I don't smoke aromatics partly because the nic content is usually low in aros and because I just don't like them or the biting dry mouth thing they create with me.

I've been off the cigs for over a year now and having no problems with it except when I run out of pipe tobacco. The morning cough is gone and the wifely one is so glad I quit cigs she allows me to smoke in the house, if the door is shut and the windows open in the man room.

7. Goat

Goat Active Member

The best advice I can give you is what was told to me years ago but an old fart that had a pipe permanently mounted between his teeth.

If you feel like you need a smoke, have a cig. When you want to enjoy a smoke, grab your pipe.
    Pipe smoking is something that should be done slowly so in the beginning only smoke your pipe when you can afford at least an hour of nothing but relaxation time. Don't smoke your pipe when your in a hurry, overly excited about something, or are just generally busy. For the begginer pipe smoker these situations can cause you to smoke faster and hotter, wich will lead to tongue bite.

At first, only smoke your pipe when you are calm and have the time to concentrate and enjoy it. In time, as you learn proper smoking habbits you can incorporate it into other areas of your day.

Lithua pipe and MikeInMaine like this.
  8. tungbite

tungbite Member

There should come a time when you can smoke either one, and you want to smoke a pipe rather than a cigarette . I still smoke little filtered cigars when I can't smoke a pipe. Most often I smoke a pipe now. I can't inhale without coughing, so that makes the pipe the better choice.

9. Ridwaan Gallow

Ridwaan Gallow Member

welcome.. :appl:
    you made it..

I hope you enjoy all the humor & the advice you get on the forum..
    I too am an inhaler.. It's not for any other reason but that.. I sometimes just take that nice thick smoke straight to me air-bags.. It's a different feeling from a ciggy.. Though lots of pipe smokers don't do this.. I don't inhale every puff though, my lungs might just explode..

Someone mentioned the the tobaccy you're using is actually a rolling cigarette blend.. If your pipe is burning hot with it, then maybe it is.. The fact is, ciggarette tobacco is cut thinner, so it would burn faster and in turn, hotter.. Be careful my buddy, you might damage your pipe..

10. Scruffy

Scruffy Member

Thanks for all the advice everyone. And I don't inhale every puff either and only use the Good stuff in a cheap pipe I bought at a news stand I service (I'm an exterminator) I. Have a good pipe for my other tabbaccos I bought at my favorite smoke shop the first mentioned was about $7 so I don't mind if it gets messed up or ruined the other I try my best to take good care of and only use for menditative pipe smoking.

11. Ridwaan Gallow

Ridwaan Gallow Member

what is ''menditative'' pipe smoking?

12. Scruffy

Scruffy Member

Sorry my spelling sucks

13. Ridwaan Gallow

Ridwaan Gallow Member

oh, okay.. Now i understand what you were saying.. Sorry if i came accross as sarcastic.. I honestly though that you were using a word which i didn't know.. :bing:

all good..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.