How should I store my tobacco

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by cityhick, Sep 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cityhick

cityhick Member

Hi all.....I purchased some tobacco from Boswells and it was shipped in plastic bags similar to sandwich bags only smaller....1 ounce in each bag......I only smoke once a day and was wondering if it is o.k to leave in the bags or should I be storing it some other way.....thanks.......Mike

2. snowman

snowman Member

Pick yourself up some,Mason Jars. And store in a cool place.

Alan.

3. user1975

user1975 Active Member

+1 on the mason jars!

4. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

+2 Mason jar them

5. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

As stated, mason jars... to which I'd only add the words "at my house". :ohyh:

6. xray

xray Member

7. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

How much did you get? If it's only, say, 4oz-8oz, then pick up a $4 store jar at your local Wally World. They're mostly air tight, and look nice sitting on a shelf.

8. RealityCheck

RealityCheck Member

If that means Walmart then +1, after watching Kel's review I went out and bought 4, 10oz air tight glass jars for a little over 4 bucks...total. I hate Walmart so much but man do I love that deal...:doh:

9. cityhick

cityhick Member

thanks everyone for the info....as far as Walmart......no

10. RealityCheck

RealityCheck Member

11. Gary

Gary Member

I'm curious about the use of mason jars in this case over a ziplock baggie. The reason is that with a baggie you can squeeze out the excess air thereby keeping the tobacco from drying out. There's really no way that I know of to remove the air from a mason jar, so doesn't the use of jars hasten the drying out of tobacco? Have to admit those jelly jars would look much better than the array of baggies I now have.

12. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Ultimately, the baggie is air permeable. Having a certain amount of air in a mason jar doesn't do anything to dry out the contents.

13. xray

xray Member

That's pretty much what mason jars were designed for.
    http://www.ehow.com/how_5617116_seal-mason-jars.html

The above isn't necessary for storing tobacco, though. As jpberg said, the little bit of air in the mason jar won't dry out the contents. I've known guys that have stored tobacco in mason jars for years without any drying out.

14. shadow

shadow Active Member

I store any bulk tobacco in empty 100g tobacco tins that I've accumulated over the years.
    The tins then go in a cupboard, away from any source of heat or sunlight.

15. Drek

Drek Member

Unless you want to store the tobacco for a very long period, keeping it in the baggies is just fine. You can drop one of these in the baggies, if you want: http://pipesandcigars.com/pouchmoistener.html
    I have 4-5 tins opened at any given time - I just drop one of those in each tin.

16. Gary

Gary Member

Just read some of the finer details in the Aging FAQ. With a largish amount of tabacco soon to be delivered, I suspect I'llbe looking for some jars now. Thinking the 4 oz. Jelly jars is a good start. Thanks folks.

17. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

That's the right answer, Gary. Tobacco can pile up quickly, so it's good to get the basics done right.

18. Drek

Drek Member

I would recommend going for something bigger. I have some 4oz jars and can't even fit a tin of tobacco in them.

Gary likes this.
  19. xray

xray Member

After taking a little out for smoking over a few weeks time, I've found the majority of the tin fits perfectly in a 4oz jar with a little packing. An 8oz jar would just be holding a lot of extra air. Of course if one didn't want to remove any tobacco from the tin before storing, one should just store away the tin without cracking the seal.

Gary likes this.
  20. Gary

Gary Member

Great point. I just know I'll be cracking open those tins to sample. Thinking of getting the 4 oz. Jars, then fill a bowl, pack a jar, and whatever doesn't fit stays in the tin and gets smoked....smorgasbord style!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.