1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

How To Deal With Shady Ebay E-Tailers?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by yinyang, Mar 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Why is it dishonest? The price to ship is stated up front. You either agree to it or not. At times I will pass on auctions for items where the shipping is too high. Often that is used to make up for a low starting price. Say on new items where there is a pretty set market price. You might see an item start at $10 cheaper than you can buy it anywhere else. And then the shipping is $15 when it ought to be $5. It all comes out even but it is a game some play. If you don't like that game, don't buy from them. I pass on those myself.

I know what it costs to ship stuff and can tell if the shipping fee is pretty close to being right. I don't sweat a couple of bucks. Like I said, I look at auction price plus the shipping as my cost of the item. As Buzzard said, I look at what it'll cost to get it in my hands and that is all that matters to me. It is either a good deal at that price or not.

2. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Fine, fine...like I stated before, I guess it's naivety on my part...This is just another reason why I prefer to let the missus handle most business transactions. For her, this would seem a silly thing to obsess about; for me, well, I'm me. I will be more critical on how things are priced from now on though. Thanks again for the eye opener-

-Kyle

3. Boomer-Z

Boomer-Z Member

Hello,

I enjoy buying things on Ebay, but I understand there is always a risk. I have bought clothes, fountain pens, biking equipment and of course, pipe/tobacco supplies. I always use Paypal so I am covered and it has come in handy several times. I have never opened a case for shipping charges. As people have said already I add it in to the total coast, I figure it is a way the seller offsets costs, and a sellers time is worth something to me. I have opened cases against items I never recieved with did take 90 days to clear and I was refunded. Occasionally I have been sent the wrong item or even the item was shipped late. I find contacting the seller directly the best way to manage those situations. If the seller is shady, is non responsive, or is an A$$ I just leave an average rating and never use them again. I have over 100 purchases and maybe three or four have gone south.

I still enjoying. It has been getting a little difficult with snipers and over priced items. I guess that is just part of getting a good deal. All that said though, I understand your frustration.

Z

4. wataru

wataru Member

My gripe is the H in S&H. Im sorry but if youre offering an item or items for sale over an online forum to other cities, states, countries and continenents, you need to figure youre 'handling' into the cost of the item. You dont see buyers saying 'Sure I'll pick it up from you in Buffalo, NY. I live in Jersey. You need to pay me $300 for airfair, $130 for car rental and maybe $75 for a hotel."

The only time "handling" should into play is a special order item - like a car. You goto a dealer and order a car custom, handling sure because theyre SPECIAL HANDLING your car on the assembly line. They had to take it off the line, or pull a special part/parts or engine or whatever and then assemble it for you. Im HANDLING your product at YOUR request.

You chose how you're selling an item - mail order online/over the phone. I didnt chose it that way. Youre offering it in 1 or 2 forms - me pick it up or you mail it. I know youre not going to let me pick it up, because it'll cost you your mark up in handling. Which is probably some $7.25 an hour just out of high school kick sticking it in a flat rate box and slapping a computer generated sticker on it. Might take 2 minutes. Or youre a guy/gal selling 2-3 items over ebay and youre "handling" per item is more money to you then the actual items. Either way - IMHO youre wrong and its sad.

But like said in previous posts, check the S&H before you bid. I did, Ive walked away from things because S&H on $15 is $11 and Im sorry, unless youre wrapping that in the newest issue of Penthouse and sending me a pack of Malboro Reds, thats insane.

5. Demented

Demented Member

Hey Kyle,

There are many sellers on ebay that charge a flat rate for shipping, or some other amount over the actual shipping cost. I don’t drive, so I add the cost of bus fair to and from the post office. There isn’t anything to do about it, if you feel the shipping charged was to much, make a note in their feedback about over charging on shipping.

6. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

I don't get it...

Noone makes you bid on anything on Ebay. If you look at the stated shipping price and don't like it- don't bid on the item. Seems simple to me.

7. Demented

Demented Member

Looking at the stated shipping cost and finding out the seller has charged two or three times the actual shipping are two different things.

8. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Active Member

don't understand the 'shady' part.. if the $7 was posted as shipping prior to you bidding.. what's the problem? if you had saw that his actual shipping was $10 were you going to send him another $3?

9. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

This thread is off topic however we felt it was something that might need to be discussed be of service to the forum. I think we have accomplished this and OP has received a number of opinions on the subject. In order to maintain order an not let this degenerate into an argument I am closing this thread.

Thank you for you understanding.

The Management.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.