How to detect room note?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Goat, Oct 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bradabelko4

Bradabelko4 Member

Then was Gen Bio II in college.

2. JayPipe

JayPipe Member

Just had my first bowl of MacB Vanilla Cream. It was the first time I could ever smell the room note while smoking.

Thuber88 likes this.
  3. User4408

User4408 Member

Years ago a pipe smoker showed me a technique for getting at the pure room note. This guy had tons of patience and got into the Zen of pipe smoking. I found it too tedious to practice over the long term. But the technique does seem to work.

Basically you have to keep the smoke from going up your nose. This is not nearly as easy as it sounds. To do it you need to light the tobacco very slowly and take INCREDIBLY small puffs, being careful to blow the smoke well away from your face. And you can NEVER breath in through your nose whenever the pipe is close to your face. That means you have to exhale through the nose whenever you take a puff. And that takes practice.

As David says, smoking outside can really help. The fresh air and outdoor smells help to dilute the smoke that's gotten up the nose, and allow you to get a really really good note from the tobacco. It's truly great when that happens.

The technique also seems to be consistent with what the other poster says about the depletion of neurotransmitters: keeping most of the smoke well away from the face solves that problem.

dBear likes this.
  4. ArmedOctopus

ArmedOctopus Active Member

:startl:

5. ArmedOctopus

ArmedOctopus Active Member

I noticed it really helps if I smoke while driving down the road with the windows cracked. Constant air movement, I suppose. Otherwise, I have a hard time detecting it also. Oh, and when I am out for a walk.....I can smell it then too. Again, must be constant air movement.

6. LostDog13

LostDog13 Yes, I'm a New World Samurai

I just let the wife detect it for me :bing:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.