1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

How to fix a gurgling pipe.

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by bluepipe, Aug 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluepipe

bluepipe Member

Note: I am by no means a pipe maker or modifier. I only do what I think works.

I always have a pipe cleaner at hand when I smoke. It's ok if I use it a couple of times during a smoke. However there are some pipes that just gurgle continuously.

If everything else has failed, i.e.: Tobacco properly dried, slow smoking cadence, drooling under control etc.

Here's what I do:

[​IMG]

I use the point of a sharp pocket knife and rotate it in the airway to scrape away at the vulcanite. Then I sand it smooth. I haven't tried this with acrylic. Careful to to break off the tenon.

I don't have a precise angle that I try to follow.

You probably noticed that some pipes have this countersink shape in the tenon anyway.

I have tried this with three pipes so far and it worked wonders! Keep in mind that they were all cheap pipes. They seem properly drilled, yet for some reason, they gurgled a lot. I am smoking the last one I did now and I can't believe the improvement.

A more knowledgeable pipe smoker can chime in and comment whether this is advisable or not.

Fluid dynamics notes available for the scientists among us.

Andreas

Kiowapipe likes this.

2. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

You likely simply allowed a place for condensate to collect. It now collects in the resulting gap and avoids getting drawn up into the airstream where it would make the gurgling sound.

WyoBob and bluepipe like this.
  3. bluepipe

bluepipe Member

Wouldn't the moisture collect on the bottom of the shank hole? My understanding is that there is much less condensation taking place this way.

Then again I might be full of it...

4. Steve Dennis

Steve Dennis Member

I have found that countersinking like this really helps, you might also want to try opening the airway in the stem and in the shank up to 5/32. I find a more open airway helps quite a bit. If this doesn't work your pipe might be drilled a little too high, try a little pipe mud if this is the case.

5. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

I think that worked for you because (and I'm just guessing) the airway in the stem is smaller than the airway in the shank. Your countersink idea allows the smoke stream to flow smoothly instead of having turbulence caused by the abrupt restriction.

Now I await Sas's answer to see how far off the mark I am with this WAG.:old:

6. Iain

Iain Active Member

I countersink my stems that way too, I've noticed a few of my Petersons have this as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.