1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

How to keep clay pipe cool during smoke

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by johnhwatson, Jun 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnhwatson

johnhwatson Member

If you're smoking a clay pipe and it gets too hot to hold you can dip it in some cold water and it will cool but be careful not to submerge bowl

2. SandSquid

SandSquid Member

I predict a shattered bowl!

Clay bowls get hot, it's a nature of the beast.
    I just hold it by the stem with my index finger wrapped around the middle fo the stem as I would a caigar

3. WillH

WillH Active Member

Rub out and load up some FVF! :)

Sorry, couldn't resist.......

Will

4. johnhwatson

johnhwatson Member

No shattered bowls yet. I dip it in the water every 4 - 6 puffs and it makes for a nice cool smoke

5. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I would like to get a clay soon, but haven't decided on which one yet.

To cool my cobs while driving in my pickup, I stick it in front of the ac vent. It works great; I wonder if it would work on a clay too?

6. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I'm with the squid, it's what it is. Sudden drastic temperature changes can't be good...I'm contented in reminding myself the bowl is hot. I'm new with clays, and although I see no desire to walk around with one lit... so that even with just sitting, I'm loathe to have more to keep up with, including a bowl of water. This is just my thought on it, admittedly.

7. WillH

WillH Active Member

I'm a pipe holder! Seldom clinch! Ya need to cool your cobs? Mine get warm but not enough to need cooling.

Bought a couple clay pipes in Amsterdam - those jobbies with the little blue ship on them and red tips - geeze, those things got hot! I like what David was doing and all, and followed his thread with interest but, I just don't like hot pipes - not even a Falcon! Guess I shouldn't use the F word.

I know people have told me I shouldn't smoke a meerschaum outside but, I have for a couple years now. Even outside taking pictures after a snow storm this winter. They seem to handle the temperature difference just fine. I know clay pipes were a necessary piece of gear for most sailors, back in the day, and I pretty sure they were smoked outside on deck in cold weather. I imagine if the temperature difference was extreme there could be a problem - room temperature water I don't believe would be an issue. Ice water! Nope I wouldn't do that....

Will

8. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I've had a couple of clays, but their different smoking attributes, and novelty appeal is not good enough to sway me from a similarly priced corn cob - which I can at least wrap my fingers around!.....and even better still is one of my mini-meerschaums!.....just my two francs, and each to his own of course! (had to add that - before I get told-off again!):byg:
    OT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.