How to pack Davidoff Flake Medallions??

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Thaisamurai, Mar 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thaisamurai

Thaisamurai Member

Need some help guys! I managed to get my hands on a tin of Davidoff Flake Medallions ( hard to find quality pipe tobaccos here in Thailand). I was very excited to try it out until I remembered that, since I've never smoked medallions before, I have no idea how they should be packed into my pipe. Rubbed? As is? Any and all feedback is appreciated!

2. TRAVIS

TRAVIS Member

I have some on the way too, I've never tried them before either but never thought about it until i read your post. Hopefully someone will enlighten us.

3. shadow

shadow Active Member

Hi fellas!
    Before you rub 'em out try the fold'n'stuff method, just as if it were a regular Flake.:bing:

Thaisamurai and TRAVIS like this.
  4. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I stack the coins, usually. Occasionally I rub it out. It seems to like being loaded in coin form the best (for me). Try it different ways and see which you like best.

5. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

I rubbed mine out. Also I noticed a difference when I put the cavendish center in the bowl first, or when I put it in last. Try both ways and see!

ol gto, Thaisamurai and TRAVIS like this.
  6. Thaisamurai

Thaisamurai Member

I can't imagine stacking the coins in either of my Mario Grandis, since their bowls are about 2 inches deep...I'd probably use up half the tin!

7. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Rolling and folding is OK after some experience with a flake. First try - I'd suggest letting it dry til the edges just begin to split when you fold a coin in half, rub out to a shedded mess and mash it gently into the pipe. On first light it's a little hard to get started; after a decent charring tamp it'll burn well. don't over-tamp and plug up the airway. Lovely stuff and perfect packaging but not head and shoulders above the more pedestrian PStokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake, IMO.

Thaisamurai likes this.
  8. johnhwatson

johnhwatson Member

I usually rub out 2 discs first removing the cavendish cores and placing them near the bottom of the bowl to give a sweet end to the pipe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.