How to smooth out harshness

Discussion in 'Blending' started by Johnny, Dec 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnny

Johnny Member

I am working on a blend of White Burley and Red Virginia and it's really harsh on the back of my throat. I'm wondering if stoving it in a glass baking dish or putting it in the crock pot will help smooth it out or what else I can do for it. It's pretty cigarish tasting at this point too, I kinda like that.

2. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Just put some stoved VA in it to tone it down. It'll also add some "dark tang".

Where'd you get the burley?

Johnny likes this.
  3. Johnny

Johnny Member

The burley is from C&D along with the Virginia. I just have the two bags to work with so maybe I'll have to stove the VA myself.

dmkerr likes this.
  4. dmkerr

You can, or McClellands sells straight stoved VA.

C&D does the cigar burley really well. Is it simple white burley or is it Kelly's Coin or Dark Burley? I blend with those two a lot. Very strong, so they need a firm hand, but no matter how much you beat on them, their flavor still comes through. But yes, they can be harsh.

5. Johnny

Johnny Member

It's the #169 White Burley. I like the flavor of the burley for sure, just gotta tone the harshness down by quite a bit. I'm going to try stoving some of the VA to add to it. It's just a simple 50/50 mix of the two tobaccos at this point and I wish I made a smaller batch. This is 4oz. Do you think that stoving the blend as a whole will help it or better to stove the VA by itself and add some to the mix?

Also, how do I stove? 200 degrees for a while in the glass baking dish?

6. dmkerr

Try them both. I actually stove Granger before I smoke it and it's pure burley. Should help. 200 degrees should work. Check it every so often, and yes, use a glass container of some kind.

7. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

You could also try putting it in a jar and waiting six months :)

8. Johnny

Johnny Member

Well, I added enough water to make it a little more moist than a fresh tinned tobacco would be and it's in the oven at 200 for just over an hour now. Stirring every fifteen minutes or so. Going to give it another hour or two and let it cool before trying again

9. Johnny

Johnny Member

Stoved the whole batch for four hours and no improvement. Going to try stoving the Virginia by itself and adding 4oz to it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.