Humidifying tobacco with rum or brandy?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Arkie, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever tried humidifying dry tobacco with something other than water? I like Plumcake, Navy Flake, Pembroke, etc which are cased/topped with liquor so the thought occurred to me to try rum or brandy next time I need to restore moisture to some tobacco.

2. buistd

buistd Active Member

I had a load of dried out tobacco that I wasn't too fussed about sacrificing in the name of experimentation. I slugged a bit of Morgan's Spiced Rum onto the tobacco and shook it up. It worked a treat. If you can get your hands on some spiced rum, give it a shot (no pun intended).

3. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

There may be something there, if they are already topped with liquor. However, I prefer to stick with water for humidifying my tobacco and use the rum, brandy -- or more likely -- bourbon to humidify myself.

4. Biggles

Biggles Member

I've rehydrated some Cotton Boll twists with brandy as well as with dark rum. They tend to be dreadfully dry off the shelf and the booze sure helps, you just have to be patient and give the flavours time to settle or marry or procreate or whatever it is they do...:poke:

5. DrToad

DrToad Member

Boy, that sounds really good. Too bad all I don't have any brandy or rum. I do have plenty of cheap beer and dry Captain Black...might give that a try until I get some rum.

6. Graham R

Graham R Member

My cigar humidor came with an extra hunk of spanish cedar, and I cut it into small strips and soak those with good scotch, and put them in with my canned tobacco.

Trust me, it works. I got some H&H Virginia Spice, soaked the wood with some Talisker Single Malt 10 year, and put it in, and a month later this stuff was INCREDIBLY good, better than any liquor cased tobacco I've had. Blenders won't use top shelf scotch for casing, do it yourself and it opens a new world of smoking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.