1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Hypothetically: Help me buy pipes/tobacco?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Thaisamurai, Nov 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thaisamurai

Thaisamurai Member

I'd just like to put this out and see what everyone thinks:

Here in Thailand there's a very limited range of pipes available, and whatever pipes are available can be quite expensive.

I'd definitely like to buy online, but that presents a problem for me: given my current salary, I don't qualify for a credit card here in Thailand. Also, most online shops and eBay sellers I've contacted won't accept Western Union Money Transfers or Money Grams, which are my prefered method of international payment. And those sellers that do accept...well, I've been lucky so far, but most of them have limited variety or don't look very reputable.

So what I'd like to propose is this: If I want a pipe/tobacco, I'd like to be able to contact a member of the forum who has access to what I want, and I send them money via a Money Transfer of Money Gram. Of course the total amount sent would include the shipping fees, and I'm very willing to include reimbursment for transportation. The forum member then uses the money to buy and ship the pipe/tobacco to me.

Would this sort of arrangement be acceptable? Everyone reading this: your thoughts?

2. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

TS,

See if a more reputable etailer will accept
    an EFT. Banks have international EFT codes
    for sending funds. a etailer would have
    a bank account that funds could be transfered
    in via EFT. Try to contact one of the big
    etailers and ask.

EFT = Electronic Funds Transfer, BTW.

dp

3. jeffbee

jeffbee Member

First, I thought it was illegal to send or bring tobacco into Thailand. My neighbor just moved here from southern Thailand. He tells me some wild stories.
    Second, what Snake said above.

We have a similar problem here in the U.S.A. We can't buy from dealers outside the USA with a credit card. That puts a kink in my St. Bruno habit.

4. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

TS, one of the forum members (puchailaw) is currently in Asia on a business trip. I understand he makes these trips regularly. You may be able to meet up with him and make some kind of arrangement!

5. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

BDJ,

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you.
    I purchase from FF-pipes in denmark with my CC.
    Shipping is in the clouds, but no real issues with
    purchasing. YMMV

dp

6. Thaisamurai

Thaisamurai Member

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

I just checked the shipping and import laws...it seems that any and all tobacco, no matter the amount, is subject to an import tax. So, while it's not illegal to bring tobacco into Thailand, you'll have to pay extra fees unless you got it duty-free in the airport (and it's not like I get to go shopping in the airport on a regular basis!)
    @Bulldog, knowing the south of Thailand, I'm sure his stories are interesting indeed!

As for the EFT, I guess I'll have to check with my bank about the steps (and applicable fees) that have to be made to conduct such a transaction.

@Dondi, thanks for the tip! I'll try to contact puchailaw and see what he thinks. Come to think of it, puchailaw sounds like a Thai name...hmm

I also tried asked CBR (who lives here too) about how he gets his baccy, but I haven't heard from him.

7. Smoke 80

Smoke 80 Member

I believe it means, good looking whore or something like that. I believe it's a word Thai hookers belch when they see passers-by.

8. Thaisamurai

Thaisamurai Member

@Smoke, I'm going to try to not make an issue about your translation attempt and whatever implications that might have been attached to it. But in the future, please be a bit more considerate about other people's languages and how they are used. It is also out of respect for the fellow using the word as his username.

The word "puchailaw", actually a phrase, is indeed Thai and its meaning is something I should have noticed right away (seems my job is really messing me up in the head). It means "handsome man".

9. woody

woody Admin Admin

This site will not tolerate insults. Do not post anything like this again.

10. Pipedan

Pipedan Member

11. Pipedan

Pipedan Member

Also just noticed 4Noggins has started PayPal.

12. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Now if only some E-tailer across the pond would do the same I could at last get the Condor I crave.

13. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Ooh...ooh...and Mick McQuaid, Revor Plug, St. Bruno, Walnut Flake, and the list goes on...

Or I can dream real big and all these blends will magically be sold at every corner convenience store.

14. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

if they'd started doing that a month ago i'd have three pounds of gawith right now. it sold WHILE I WAS OUT PUTTING MONEY ON MY DEBIT CARD.

damn people. buying up all my tobacco.

15. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

TS, post your email address and I'll ask puchailaw to drop you a line.

16. Burner

Burner Member

Happy to send on some UK fare to the desparate/willing to do anything: It isn't cheap though about £10 50gms tin and shipping isn't cheap either!

17. Thaisamurai

Thaisamurai Member

@Pipedan, a pre-paid credit card sounds a bit like a debit card, right? I have one, but for some reason it doesn't work for international payments...oh well.

@Dondi, my email is thaisamurai@gmail.com, I wish I had known about Mitch (Puchailaw) earlier, because he's here in Thailand right now! But I think I'll wait for you to make the introductions ;)

@Burner, thanks for the offer! However, it seems that my problem isn't so much the price of the tobacco, but the possibilty that I will be forced to pay extra taxes on it if Customs catches it coming through the mail.

18. Pipedan

Pipedan Member

Its a pre paied visa credit card and can be used world wide.

19. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Jesla and Yinyang - have you tried googling Lloyds Tobacconists or Brucciani's in Carlisle - I think they ship overseas,

Best to all

Gerry

20. pottsy

pottsy Member

pipesandcigars.com is also now accepting Paypal, and I am sure they have a variety that would please you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.