1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

I Can't Believe the Price of Tins

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by 50rayj, Dec 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 50rayj

50rayj Member

Just bought a tin of Erinmore Flake. $11 for a tin of tobacco smaller than a sardine can. Guess I'll have to limit it's use for special occasions.

2. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

It's a small tin, but they cram 50 grams in there still. You would pay around $40 for a tin in Australia.

Mark w4mms and TRAVIS like this.
  3. 50rayj

50rayj Member

Now that I am halfway thru my first bowl of the Flake I can somewhat justify the price. This is damn good stuff!

RTOdhner and Mark w4mms like this.
  4. TRAVIS

TRAVIS Member

I'm in Australia and i paid $40 so $11 sounds great to me. It's been a while so i might stuff a flake into a pipe tonight thanks for the reminder,

Mark w4mms likes this.
  5. 50rayj

50rayj Member

Travis, is all pipe tobacco expensive there?

6. TRAVIS

TRAVIS Member

Yes $38 to $42 for 2oz tins or pouch. I just ordered some from the tobacco barn over in the states about 6oz for the price of 2 here so fingers crossed it arrives soon.
    A mate fropm here and my facebook pipe site sent me about 5oz the other day of some to try Shortcut to Mushrooms and Ruins of Isengard and some Ebony Cavendish so got to sampl some toby that was a little different. No such thing as house blends over here either (if there is i havent found them).

7. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

Twenty seven to thirty eight is common in Canada. I just bought a fifty gram tin of Erinmore and paid $27 plus 12 percent sales tax. Paid $37 for a 50 gram tin of Frog Morton. The Canadian dollar is pretty close, in value, to the American dollar. I've never seen anything cheaper than $25, even so called OTC starts at $25 and is usually $28 or more.

So it seems Australia and Canada are about the same but I believe we have better selection in Canada. Another aspect of the Common Wealth I could do without.:)

Spaceboy Tim and TRAVIS like this.
  8. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Sign of the times 50Ray. Leaf prices won't be any cheaper..... Cellar NOW! So you can set back as the procing continues to reach Prohibitive levels and all you can do is feel good about your stash. ;). The "Nannies" are after us! Wish they were pipe smokers! :)

Ed
    Puff

TRAVIS, Capt and Gary like this.
  9. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

It's insane, don't get me started!

Paul

10. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Wow! and to think I freaked out when I stepped into a B&M the other day to pick up a 100g tin of Mac Baren Dark Twist Roll cake..for $28... Your prices look like I got a bargain..

11. Scottly

Scottly Member

12. Monkeyshine

Monkeyshine Member

13. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Yes, I have but only in bulk. It was a smooth transaction and the baccy came to me fresh so, I would say they're pretty good. Sometimes they have free shipping at the beginning of the year but, I haven't seen it advertised yet for the upcomming year...

Monkeyshine likes this.
  14. sarge564

sarge564 Member

I spent most of my extra cash on tins in 2011 so I have a bit of a cellar. I've found 4 that I really like and will buy them when I can. Dans Patriot Flake, Escudo, Eileens Dream and Sunset Breeze. 2012 will be buying and cellaring bulk blends. The way I have it figured, in a couple years I won't need to buy anymore toby:cool: .
    My last pipe (yeah right) should arrive today. I don't intend to purchase any more pipes. 42 should be enough.
    But the price differences noted in this thread should be a reminder of what we know is coming......high prices! Buy now!

Puff The Magic and Peach21 like this.
  15. Scottly

Scottly Member

Yes I have several times, no problems at all.

16. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Just so you know, we will use these statements against you.:)

TRAVIS likes this.
  17. sarge564

sarge564 Member

Yeah, I know. Its a mind game I play- You know convince yourself it's okay to spend this much or buy this one because it will be my last one or won't need any for a long time. Hmmm, good thing I don't have a thing for ladies of the evening :startl:

RTOdhner likes this.
  18. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member

Peterson P3 50 gram tin, a couple of months ago at a little tobacco shop close to the Ottawa Airport. 43.98 + 13% tax on top. That's the worst I've seen, but bought it since my luggage went off somewhere else for a couple of days.

19. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Lil Brown is reputable. I've ordered from them several times. Occasionally they email/call and let me know a leaf is out of stock (a few days after the odere placed.....frustrating) but overall, their prices are great. Shipping take them about a week or more (west coast to east coast).... I'd buy from them again if the need arises.

Ed
    Puff

20. Vaquero

Vaquero Member

I wouldn't complain much, I live in Mexico and you can't even get tins unless you order them off the internet. I usually just stock up and bring them down in my suitcase whenever I visit my parents in Alaska. There are some cheap OTC's that can be had for around 20 bucks, but they Mexican OTC's and are just okay.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.