1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

I found 20+ pipes in old barn

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by gdrawdy, Oct 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gdrawdy

gdrawdy Member

I'm not (or wasn't) a pipe smoker.....until I was cleaning out a barn on a piece of property I bought a few years ago.
    I'm really thinking of just doing a shadow box to display these pipes but before I did I thought I should post pictures of them to see if one or two of them might be worth cleaning up and learning to smoke. I'm a newbie at cigars but the one or two bowls I have smoked were pleasant.
    Thanks in advance!
    Glenn

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7728263@N02/

I have them all on here except 1 that I will get a photo of shortly. I tried to list all markings on each photo.

2. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Holy crap!!!! Where are you barn scrounging? I'm heading there!!! :cheers:

3. ted

ted Member

The Alpha Uncle Paul and the Alpha Freehand, I know a bit about. The Filtermaster blue also.... Maybe a couple of the others.. ted

4. WillH

WillH Active Member

IS THIS A TRUE STORY OR AM I GETTING MY THINGY YANKED! My gawd! Geeze ya think they are any good?

I inherited a barn with a half dozen of corn cob pipes covered in pigeon ****.....life is unfair! :eek:hyeah:

Will

5. Tas Gunsmith

Tas Gunsmith Member

Well found! Any old motorcycles in there too?
    My advice.... clean them all and smoke them! then you wont have to worry about those damn cigars.

6. Shootinok

Shootinok Member

Get the F__k out!

Found some things in a few barns myself - not so much as a cob though, mostly just pigeon do do!

7. gdrawdy

gdrawdy Member

No this is legit. I am just hoping to find out if these pipes have:
    1- any history of being a good smoking pipe
    2- any worth...so that I dont spend $20 cleaning up a pipe I could have bought new for $7.99

Thanks for the comments. Let me know where I should pay attention the most.

Glenn

8. Shootinok

Shootinok Member

I doubt if you'd need to spend $20 to clean "em all up.

Search this forum for restoration info. there's plenty here.
    Just start with the one you think is the best looking. You have some real beauties there. Yes some of them would cost under $40 new today, and yes you could pick up some pretty cheap as estates; but a little elbow grease and a couple tricks you can pick up here, you'll have some very nice pipes.
    If your looking for dollar value, that Ben Wade alone might be worth a few $$'s

9. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

You gotta love those kind of days !!!

10. gdrawdy

gdrawdy Member

Good info on the Ben Wade. This is the last one I didn't get a pic of earlier. It has a felt covered case that is silk lined. Any ideas about it. It has glue on the bottom where a sticker was....so it is not damaged on the bottom it just looks like it.

There are 3 more photos of this pipe at my flickr link including one with the inscription on the bottom. Any idea what it is or smokeability \ value \ etc???

http://www.flickr.co...os/7728263@N02/

Sorry for being a newbie!

THanks

[attachment=1170:freehand4.jpg]

11. phinz

phinz Active Member

I'll give you $5 apiece for them. It's a smokin' deal. Really. :whistle:

12. DuaneNeveu

DuaneNeveu Member

They all look like they got plenty of use too. This property...did someone die suddenly without any chance to will those away?

It's amazing to me that they would just be left there to become treasure.

13. WisconsinPiper

WisconsinPiper Member

I saw a few freehands, a Ben Wade, and a Peterson in the first five seconds looking at those pics.

You could get some money for them, or you could smoke a pipe for the rest of your life and never spend a dime on pipes. :goodjob:

Nice find, thanks for sharing!

Jim

14. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Wow what a find! Welcome to PSF and welcome to the piper's world! I'm with Jim up above, keep those pipes and you've got the basis for a lifetime's journey of discovery... thousands of blends out there to try https://pipesmokersforum.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/thumbsu.gif

plus, looks like you've got a metal stemmed pipe as well which can take interchangeable bowls... here's some info on that pipe: http://www.smokingmetal.co.uk/pipe.php?page=60

15. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

Wow man I would have given anything to find that in my old barn all i found was alot of dead things and a rusty shell of a car lol. But man in all seriousness clean them up and keep them and have a bunch of great pipes to smoke for the rest of your life. Pipe smoking is a very amazing hoby it is so relaxing and loaded with pure smoking pleasure. And the amount of tobacco out there you can never get tired of smoking. You have some very nice looking pipes in that collection, clean them up and enjoy every second with them. :)

16. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi and Welcome!

Heavens you are so lucky! When I was restoring a couple of old cottages to live in in the 80s all I found were a couple of broken clays. They are al pretty good pipes and even in the as found condition look damned good.

Dondi is right on the system pipe marked "Nylon" and it too should smoke well - I had the French version put out under the "Rocket" brand in the 60s and it was excellent.

Enjoy!

Gerry

17. gdrawdy

gdrawdy Member

The property (5 acres at the top of a mountain near Dahlonega Georgia) were a part of a family track of land. With that family also having the counties airport named after them. The property belonged to a sister who got into a argument with the rest of the family and refused to resell those acres back to someone in the family....thus why I was able to get it. I've owned it for two years and was out organizing the barn when I climbed up into a loft area....and found then old bag from publix....they were in the bag.

18. gdrawdy

gdrawdy Member

I appreciate everyone's reply. I guess I've got to start learning how to clean them up without damaging them....that should be fun...ugh.

19. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

It actually *can* be fun. I think so, at least. If you want to learn how, check out the Maintenance and Restoration forums here on the site, browse pipedia.org, surf for pipe cleaning videos on youtube, take advantage of google, and you'll be sure to find a wealth of information.

Generally the cleaning process revolves around getting rid of the gunk in the pipe shank and bowl, reaming back any excessive cake in the bowl, removing any oxidation from vulcanite stems, and buffing/waxing. That's the simplified version as it can vary greatly from pipe to pipe. Some you'll have to work hard to remove tooth marks from the stem (or even replace the stem if they are too deep). Some you'll have to sand off the finish on the pipe and re-finish it all together.

20. ted

ted Member

A little "stuff" about some of the pipes.
    #13 is an Alpha Uncle Paul. Made between 1974 and 1976 by the Shalom factory in Tel Aviv. Sold at retail during that period for $20.00.

#10 is also an Alpha.. Dialite. Dialite was their "contraption" to deliver air into the smoke. The yellow ring has 3 different size holes which can be "lined up" with a hole in the tenon. This allows for 3 different levels of air to be induced into the smoke. This one is about 1981 and sold for $65.00 retail.

#7 is also most probably an Alpha. It'll be stamped "Israel" if it is and was probably a private label pipe sold directly to a pipe shop.

#4 is a Filtermaster made by Fratelli Rossi in about 1979. It sold for $3.98, and (best I remember) the paint peeled terribly.

DSC is also probably made in Israel. Bob Marx is a story unto himself, but best I remember we used his name on some unusual freehands. Best I recall $100.00 retail.

Scary thing for me is that I probably sold all of them except the Marx... Hope this helps you decide to clean them up... ted

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.