I got Boswelled today

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by fruktflugan, Sep 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fruktflugan

fruktflugan Member

Got a package from the lovely boswells today that I cannot wait to try.

Some Sweet Tea that smells just like a cup of tea with sugar and no milk.
    Then a little Pennsylvania Dutch Treat that has a subtle cherry whiff in the bag. If it smokes good it'll be a treat. Not at all artificial or too much of the cherry essence to smother the baccy.
    Of course some more Raspberry Cream since I am running low.
    Then the Mild English which smelled a little less than I thought it would. Will be interesting to try though.
    And the best for last; Some Northwoods... Whoa! It smells like campfire and the great outdoors and I cannot wait to try it for myself.

Uhhh... I don't know which blend to try first.
    I shall have a think about it and try one out tonight. I'm cooking curried chicken so an English blend would perhaps be proper! :D

Decisions schmecisions!

/Jimmy

2. Longrifle3006

Longrifle3006 Member

it can be a pain to decide what tin to crack when MTTAD (Multiple Tin Tobacco Acquisition Disorder) strikes... LOL!

3. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Can think of a lot worse things than being Boswelled! Enjoy muchly!

Gerry

4. doug6776

doug6776 Member

Love PA Dutch Treat and can't go wrong with Northwoods. Enjoy!

5. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

Got some sweet tea from a friend over the weekend...need to get into it today...."News at eleven."

6. christopher

christopher Member

The pen dutch I thought was exelent but vary little cherry flavor (A good thing i believe) Northwoods is one of my favorite tobacs I've tried. I haven't tried the others But they sound great. Mild english! Sweet tea! Goodness knows god has blessed Jim Boswell.

7. Tsurugi

Tsurugi Member

I always thought they only ship within the US.

Your package didn't get caught in customs or anything?

8. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Northwoods seems to be everyones favorite.

9. fruktflugan

fruktflugan Member

So, my choice went to be Pennsylvania Dutch Treat for today.
    The tobacco was a bit moist, but burned nicely and behaved admirably in my falcon. One charring light and then one "real" light and that smoked the bowl straight through.

The first couple of puffs tasted a bit acrid like water damaged cherry wood burning a bit sour but that went away quickly and by the third puff I could only smell and taste faintly of ripe cherries.
    A little later the wood flavor came back, but not like in the beginning at all. Just a large warm hunk of cherry wood-ish taste that was very interesting.
    Another couple of minutes later the cherries returned and with them they had some baked goods... It started tasting like cherry pie or some cherry jam filled pastry... Yum!
    Gradually the flavour mellowed out passing from cherry pie over to cherry wood and then a little later tasting like a mix between cherries and the smell/taste of really fragrant leather.
    As I finished the bowl the cherry-leather gradually subsided and turned to the ashy flavour that signifies the end of the bowl.

All in all a good 4 stars out of 5 tobacco that at some points almost had me laughing at the flavour diversity and change.

It was excellent albeit a bit cold out on my balcony tonight. Watching the stars and smoking this blend... ...not many moments are like that you know! :D

***edit: The toby left a little moisture in the humidome of my falcon. A little more than usual that is, but that might be on the account that it was a bit moister than I've seen from Boswell blends before...
    ...That or the air outside was very cool which created more moisture in there than normal!

Oh, Boswells do ship to sweden at your own peril.
    I've tried to see what laws could stop tobacco, but I haven't found anything yet... In a worst case scenario they'd say "You didn't pre-declare this shipment" and either send shipment back or destroy it.
    Laws on getting tobacco sent from non-EEC countries are not very clear it seems OR they rather not explain them to me as a single, private citizen...
    But if you want to know more, send me a PM.

/Jimmy

10. fruktflugan

fruktflugan Member

So... Woke up late today and was in a rather bad mood. Not like total rage or anything, just a nagging feeling in the back of my head.

After cleaning up a little and having a sandwich I decided it was time to try another blend.
    Early in the morning (/afternoon! :D ) so I went with Sweet Tea.

Tobacco had a perfect moisture level and I loaded my trusty Falcon with Sweet Tea.
    Actually in my opinion it smelled a little more tobacco and a little less tea, but that might be that it IS tobacco and NOT tea in the bag.

After charring light and one true light it burned straight down to ashes. -Gotta love the Boswell blends for that alone!

Initial taste was entirely like the smell in the bag. Tobacco spiced with sugared tea. Something like an Earl Grey but with other herbs thrown in there as well. Difficult to say really, but good.
    That taste faded as I smoked on and left with a little bland sugared tobacco taste at which time I thought I was in for a really dull smoke... Not bad, but just a little -"Meh!"
    So I started enjoying the sun on my balcony and puffing the pipe at a medium pace and then the Tea flavour came back... It switched between the Tea flavour and the flavour of a really good Hookah/Nargileh (oriental water pipe) tobacco, I would say something like a mild lemon-y or peach-y flavour.
    And that's what it tasted like until I started sucking ash.

...Not the most interesting Boswell flavour, but well worth a sit-down in the autumn sun watching the yellow leaves and smelling the world.
    It flushed that nagging bad mood down the proverbial drain too! :D

A good 3 out of 5 this one... A _very_ strong 3/5 borderlining a 4. I, however, couldn't well give this a 4 when I gave PN Dutch Treat a solid 4. Pennsylvania Dutch Treat is better, Sweet Tea is more boring but might be better as an all day smoke when you do not have the time to savour the flavours.

-Recommended!

/Jimmy

11. fruktflugan

fruktflugan Member

Loaded up one of my soapstone pipes with Northwoods today.

From what people say of Northwoods not being a noob tobacco and it might not suit all smokers I was a bit cautious, but all for nothing.
    This blend is the King of blends! I bow to it! :D :goodjob:

One charring light, one real light and then two relights at the very end of the bowl (the soapstone pipe that I used has a crooked air hole. It was my first real pipe of soapstone so that explains that) burned everything to ash.
    Almost no moisture left in bowl from the combustion so PERFECT moisture content of this tobacco.

I don't know what to say about the smoke. I am still in awe!
    To describe it in a simple way, northwoods tastes like camp fire, smoke, a slight salty-something and then the incense Nag Champa (that's what it's called here anyway).

It basically tastes what Nag Champa smells and then added the salty smoked campfire-wood.

And Nag Champa is my favourite incense. I used to be addicted to it when sitting out on a sweet summer night just watching the stars and contemplating life. It's hard to describe the smell, but it's not so perfumed. More natural... Leather, sandalwood and all that crap rolled into one.

Anyway. Northwoods tastes great... I didn't even realize that I was down to the bare ash. Flavour kept up all the way down to the last microbe of tobacco.

Did I say I give it 5 points out of 5?

Now I just need them to ship me 500 pounds of the stuff and then I am all set!
    :thumb:

/Jimmy

12. Pschoppy48

Pschoppy48 Member

Jimmy,

I loved your reviews. I live in Pennsylvania and have not tried any of their blends yet. I think they are about an hour and a half away from me. I liked your review of Norwoods. I may have to try some. Phil.

13. fruktflugan

fruktflugan Member

Am I going to say something about Mild English too?

Well, it's the lighter little brother to Northwoods.
    Almost the same flavour (and the same characteristics), but not as pronounced.
    Frankly, getting this close to Northwoods without smelling like campfire in a baggy is amazing.

So if you don't know if northwoods is for you, try Mild English instead... ...or order them both; I did!

Not to confuse you; Mild English holds it's own, don't think anything else... I enjoy them both and both have a particular time and place.
    Mild English is not as pronounced, lighter and a little less complex.

We are very near perfection here.
    A STRONG 4 out of 5 for me.

Dagnabbit, now I have to order 408 pounds of Mild English too! :D

/TAD-flugan

14. fruktflugan

fruktflugan Member

Just revisited Mild English again in the cold Swedish autumn night...
    -Yum yum yum!

Still 4 cannibals out of 5! :D

15. scworrell

scworrell Member

All this talk about Boswell's made me take a visit to their website for a TAD order of my own... There were a few on there that I found intriguing, as I narrowed the list down to, oh, say 13 blends :eek:hyeah:... yeah. So obviously I'm not going to order 2 oz of 13 different tobys today, I was just wondering if there were any blends you recommend for a noob? Or any that a noob should stay away from? I should tell you that while I'm new to pipe smoking, I smoked cigars for 4 years before making the switch, so I don't think nic content will play much of a factor for me :whistle:

:thankyou:

16. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

You could get 1 oz bags from them...

17. scworrell

scworrell Member

This is true, and I might consider it. Being that I'm in Iraq, it usually takes 3-4 weeks for anything to get to me. So if (when) I find a blend that I really like, I would like to have at least 2 weeks worth of it... That is unless I have another that I like as well... On second thought, I think I will go with the 1oz bags, now that I'm done arguing with myself. With 13 samples, I'm bound to find at least 4 or 5 that I love, right? lol Thanks Dondi for helping me sort that out :thumb:

18. fruktflugan

fruktflugan Member

For the beginning "addict" I recommend Raspberry Cream.
    Just had a smoke of this fine blend of herbs and I still to this day cannot say anything bad about it.

Raspberry Cream on a windy fall day.
    One charring light and... well... That's it really. From the charring light all I had to do was tamp down the charred bits a little and then continue smoking.

Raspberry cream is a bit hard to explain. Very very sweet raspberry in there and then actually tasting the cream which brings a full body to the raspberries.
    Like most Boswell blends it tastes much like a stronger hookah/nargileh smoke without disguising the tobacco too much.

With Raspberry Cream I find that I keep licking the corners of my mouth when taking out the pipe. There's an unsettling sweet raspberry flavor that collects right there that I just MUST have! :D

So, picture yerselves me smoking pipe and frantically licking my "Drool Chutes" like an old pervert in heat! :roflmao:

Raspberry Cream is my choice if I went to a deserted island (or a Dessert-island) with just the choice of ONE tobacco variety.
    I'd smoke RC every day with the aforementioned cannibals.

5/5 all the way!

/Jimmy

19. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

You're welcome! Do let us know which ones you favored. One of these days, I plan to get Boswelled too :bing:

20. fruktflugan

fruktflugan Member

After a tour of the English blends (NW and ME) I went back to Penn Dutch Treat today and I am a little confused...
    To the English blends PA dutch treat really pales in comparison... Sure, it's good, but not nearly as good as I thought before ever letting an english blend from Boswells pass over my lips.

Luckily Raspberry Cream still holds up flavorwise, but PA Dutch treat had lost it's magic.

I'll see if it goes away this flakey taste displacement, but if it doesn't I shall have to lower my grade of the PA dutch treat...

My tastebuds crave Northwoods now! -Damn! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.