I graduated!

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Twan013, Jul 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Twan013

Twan013 Member

Got my first taste of a real tobacco tonight. I went for FVF. very... interesting. I wanted to try the fold and stuff method, which was a mistake. it was hard to light, but whatever.

I can't say that I'm a fan, but i can see myself getting used to it and enjoying it down the road. the tonguebite compared to that of my middleton's apple was much more harsh, like getting a tattoo on the end of my tongue, but it was gone in a couple of minutes. the MA wasn't as rough, but it lasted a lot longer, no matter what i did to ease the pain.

also tried a bit of 5110 from McC. didn't initially like the smell, but its overpowering all of my new tobacco in my room, and its getting to me.. 'bout to fill up another bowl and puff away under the stars again.. Or maybe not, my chair broke last night so i can't get comfy outside anymore..

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

IF you dry out the flakes, either FVF or the McClelland, and rub them out and beat the hell out of them, they won't burn you near so much. Flakes hold more moisture than it feels like, and Gawith tobaccos are always too wet.

If you dry them out, you'll be able to smoke them with way less heat = way less tongue bite.

3. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

It sounds like you were just puffing too damn hard. If you slow down and draw on the pipe softer FVF won't bite you and will reward you with a nice natural sweetness. I know its kind of hard to do with the stiff draw of the fold and stuff method so try rubbing it out. I've never been able to make the fold and stuff work for me so I use the cannonball for all my flakes.

4. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I agree with Deck and Squatch. You are pulling too hard, probably due to packing too tight, what pipe was it in? Take the FVF out, dry it, rub it out well, load it gently and sip at it like it was 200 degree tea. Damn Kids.

5. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Fold 'n stuff method can be a bit hard on the light up but to assure yourself a good one, I take a small chunk o'flake and tear it up into small pieces, sort of macerate it into nearly a powder. Then sprinkle that on the top of the bowl as "kindling" and then GO! It starts things off with greater success. Drying is KEY. Puff or "sip" VA's and your tongue bite experience will be minimal if not totally absent. Don't puff to "keep the fire going. Puff to enjoy! You're not a bellows! You're a pipe smoker!

Nice thing about flaked toby is you have the option of smoking it any way you choose. Folded, balled, partially rubbed, or fully rubbed. Additionally, each different way you prep it, your flavor strength is also somewhat dictated in how the toby is prepped and loaded. The other forms don't allow you as many options.

:thumbsu:
    Ed Puff!

6. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Yes even by British standards Gawiths tobaccos are wet - they really do need a lot of drying before they'll smoke well. I was brought up in the UK where it's always been an article of faith that "Dry tobacco = tongue bite" - this really isn't true and I'd honestly recommend drying out the stuff you have.

Sas' Cannonball method works very well with Gawith Flakes - in fact it was the only way I could get some of theirs to smoke properly back in January.

As has been said - take it easy and don't puff too hard or to quickly ( and you're probably doing that just to try to keep the stuff lit ) and it'll be fine,

Best to all

Gerry

7. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Member

Real tobacco? :goodjob: Define "real tobacco" :thumbsu: .

8. Puff The Magic

"Real Tobacco"? So, ye been smokin' that "other" tobacco ehhhhh?

I guess what he really means is "no casing & no top coat" maybe?

Just good ole toby goodness. That's the ticket! I too am somewhat addicted to the flavours of "real tobacco" but a little casing/top coat done judiciously RAWKS too! Takes a bit of know how to do it right.

:thumbsu:
    Ed Puff!

9. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

I'll have to remember that one.

10. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Ya know , I know alot of people here dig the SG stuff . I like the full vir. or the skiff cant remember which one . Others werent my thing , to much nicotine . But reading above , it seems like they come wet and ya gotta figure ways to make them burn right ... etc. I dont know , just seems theres so much good stuff out there ,,, why bother ... and they're not available alot of the time.Just sayin , not looking for a pissing match about SG blends or anything . Could be me anyway .I like a blend that I can pop , pack and smoke . If I gotta work it then it drops on my scale

11. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

I've never really minded the moistness of SG blends or dried them out as much as everyone else seems too (10-15min max usually). I actually like how damp their ribbon cut blends come, I think the flexibility of the strands makes it easier to pack. So it takes me five or six matches to get it lit instead of two, after that its smooth sailing so I really don't fret over it.

12. CarlBC

CarlBC Member

I'm with ya there, brother!

:groucho:
    -- Carl

13. Puff The Magic

It's all just what is "needed" to prepare the toby for the bestest possible smoke. It's great tobacco. I find the easiest for me regarding the flaked SG (or any solid flake, some broken flake too) is to get a pair of strong shears (kitchen scissor-like) and just cut the flakes crosscut into as small of a "cube" as I'd like and then jar up (in a small jar) or load a few of my "speedloaders" with the little cubes o'goodness and go about my way. Yeah, it's a bit of work in the "prep time" but to me it's soooooh worth it! I can still rub out the cubes if I wish but I just pour (from the speedloader) and tap-light-tamp (as needed). I do like the other softer cuts of tobak. Ribbon is nearly always friendly. Lets you roll it up like it was a reflex, sort of natural for a cannon ball. I like rough cut too but I really favor flakes! Besides, you can also determine your length of smoke with flakes. A bowlful of "rolled&folded" flake gives me almost 2-3 times the length of smoke I'd get from the same flake if I rubbed it out fully and did a frank load.

It never bothered me as to taking the time to prep my toby. It was all part of the tobak ritual to see the N-Godess at her bestest, hope she's wearin' something nice tonight! :velho:

:thumb:
    Ed Puff!

14. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

+1, What Puff said.

15. Twan013

Twan013 Member

real tobacco as in not the crappy middleton's apple. I think they just gather up the black and mild cigars that don't sell, empty the tobacco from them into the pouches, and re-sell that.

real tobacco as in the quality stuff. Either way, I've decided, as most have recommended, to just rub out the flakes all the way and cannonball pack.. It was just an experiment..

real tobacco as in not the stuff that tastes like nothing more than cigarette ashes when smoked..

pick one..

16. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Middletons Apple is such crap it's a crime ... I'm with ya there . Why they quit making London Dock and continue making Apple is beyond me . Rubbing out has always worked for me as well and I can relate to the ritual thing with preparing a blend .... it's a great time to spend . My ritual w/ Golden extra is a trip . I grab what i judge I need for whichever bowl and do this movement thing w/ my hands to rub it out the same as i have for a long time . It takes 3 seconds . I'm spoiled .

17. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Member

What he really means?? :velho: My question was directly asked to Twan,so why not give him a chance to tell me "what he really means"Did Twan ask you to speak for him?? :growl: or were you just not able to fight the overwhelming desire to jump in there and tell us what YOU think it should be?? :brick:

18. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Member

Thank you Twan.I totally agree with that. :velho:

19. Puff The Magic

WOW MM, it's not like I crawled up your ass and ripped your tonsils out! Geeze, chill! Smoke a bowl! Relax! WFT? Don't know why you decided to become such an ass (unless you were just kidding, but your emoticons sure don't indicate you were just kidding). If you wish to go to pm, please do so. PSF is not the place to be an ASS.

:velho:
    Ed Puff!

20. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

MM & Puff - Play nice! If not one of you will end up getting :growl: by the :velho:

:velho:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.