I hate myself for loving you, latakia

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by jeff394, Jun 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeff394

jeff394 Member

I am NOT an "experienced" English tobacco smoker. My dealings with English blends have been limited to Frog Morton, McC's bulk 5110, Mac Baren Vintage Syrian, and McC's bulk AM pipe. Very decent tobaccos in their own right, but nothing to turn any heads. And that's all right with me. It's for the very same reason that I don't own $1000 golf clubs. I don't have a $1000 game, and probably never will. Back to the tobaccos, I love the way they smell in the jar and in the pipe while lit, but the taste of latakia is something I really have to work through, especially that somewhat soapy taste of the bulk 5110, and find myself hating the stuff after finishing the bowl. I go back to my VA's and there's peace in the valley again. Or so I think.

But here's the problem: Just a day or two (if even) after swearing off Latakia blends, I got my nose back in the tin, mouth watering, thinking that it will be better this time. I light up, and 20 minutes later I've dumped the bowl and cursed the Syrians for bringing this foul stuff in to the world. And the cycle repeats. Latakia is like the girl that got away, but she never left the house. Craziest thing I've ever seen. Any of you guys have the love/hate thing with Latakia? I know that I love VA's, I don't love Perique, and can't tolerate Burleys, but Latakia is the dysfunctional relationship that is trying to wreck my home.

Jeff

2. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

Nothing wrong with smoking just Virginia blends but I'm sure glad I like Perique, Burleys and Orientals too.

I don't crave Latakia during the Summer that much but smoke it often when the weather gets cool. It don't get much better than a rich Latakia blend (like Quiet Nights or Penzance) when the air is cold and dense....Yum!

3. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

You may just need to find 'the one'. All the other pieces seem to be in place for you to be a latakia lover, Jeff. Sometimes all it takes is for one to click, and your hooked!

Of course, you may well have it figured out. If it annoys you to where you're dumping it out, well, try smaller bowls, and maybe less frequent attempts. The whole absence makes the heart grow fond shtick.

My best guess is still my first one, though.

4. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Latakia, both kinds, was a Hate-Hate relationship for me up until this past summer. Then it became a Love-Hate, liked it at times and thought it was just plain good smoke, and then some other times, it was a touch too much burnt wood/tires/diesel. Really! Smelled like I was in a Mack/Peterbuilt garage. Wow! Now, I do get all of those plus the nice mellow, thick, smokey, spicey, meatey, bbq'd, rich flavors from lat blends & bombs. Well, I'll have to blame Dondi for this, he's in the Phillipines (HOT & HUMID) and he smokes pretty much nuthin' but Lats blends & bombs! So, I figured I'd give it a try in the summer! Wow! Was that where the Love-Hate was, flavors improved as the weather gets cooler or rainy. Now, I smoke lats blends & bombs whenever I need a break from va's or just want a lat. :D

GH Bob's Chocolate is what hooked Puff. Had a magic moment and that pipe married that tobacco till death do them part! ;)

Ed
    Puff

5. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

Have never been one for lat blends myself but I just placed an order and decided to get a few oz of bobs chocolate as I knew I had read about it on here. Should have know it was you Ed.

6. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

When you've learned to love Latakia, Latakia will love you back!

OBD.

7. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Truer words have never been spoken.

I tend to agree with Yinyang, you might just not have found the right thing yet. As dominant a flavor as Latakia has, the skill of the blender really comes into play as it is probably one of the more difficult flavors to keep in it's place. When you find a mixture that achieves the right balance for you, Latakia can become a good friend, and an indispensable part of your rotation.

8. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Absolutely. All it takes is some other blend where the latakia isn't quite so dominant, or another 6 months of piping, or just 1 too many glasses of Ardbeg camping.... and suddenly it'll click.

Puff The Magic likes this.
  9. Puff The Magic

And "click" it does! Just finished off a bowl of C&D "Elegant Emu" and talk about expert blending......... WOW! Wish'd I'd scored a couple o'pounds of this weed! The lat is there but always in close concert with the Va's, Cav, Burley, and Perique. What a bunch o'flavors in that bowl and the finish is superb! The entire bowl builds and doesn't dull at all during the smoke. Very nice, meaty, sweet, thick, moderate nic, spicy, just a wonderful blend. Kudos to C&D!

Lats, get on with it! :D

Ed
    Puff

P.S. Sean, if you don't like it (and I believe you will), I'll trade it off your hands. It's that good! :)

10. telltime

telltime Active Member

I think that I just threw up in my mouth a little bit...:puke:

No offense meant to you Lat lovers... just a dose of reality from someone who can't get past a bad experience.:startl:

11. Beale

Beale Active Member

I have come to enjoy Latakia a bunch. I am a huge fan of it! I will have to say that right now it is my favorite flavor in a Toby, Beale.

12. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

My condolences, tt. ;)

13. telltime

telltime Active Member

Thanks, HCraven. A couple of folks, though, have been the beneficiary of my lack of love of Latakia. As long as you smoke what you love, enjoy!!

14. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Yeah Bob's chocolate is a good start, but surely you've worked your way up to Penzance, Ten Russians, and Star of the East by now! :bing:

15. Degenetron

Degenetron Member

I don't know if i have a love/hate thiong going.. more of an unconditional love.. but with rules ;p

I adore latakia.. but it is like black pepper or chili in food.. I love the taste of black pepper.. bt unfortunately, if spiced too much with it, food will be more or less poisoned.. it will burn your tongue but add no flavour.

In the right amounts though, black pepper or chili adds an awesome flavour

16. Puff The Magic

Penzance, Private Stock (cpt earle), and SG Commonwealth are the L-bombs and several other milder lat-blends like Bombay Extra, Wilderness, 5110, 996, 965, Ringlow Syrian Reserve, 3 Oaks Syrian, and many others but you get the idea. Thanks D! Hey, lats aren't just for cooler or rainy weather........afterall it's pretty hot in Syria/Cyprus for sure! Dondi, thanks for the encouragement! Now, I can't imagine life without lat. :)

Ed
    Puff

17. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

Latakia. This is the only reason why we shouldn't bomb Syria.

OBD.

Puff The Magic likes this.
  18. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

I was just sent a sample of some 5110 from a very kind individual here on this forum and I REALLY enjoyed it! So much so, that I ordered 8 oz from pipesandcigars.com
    My other favorite is the Fr Dempsey and English blend from Kramer's Tobacco in Cal.
    I never smoked either types before and I am thoroughly enjoying them.

19. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Ackkk.....you guys made me add 5110 and SG Commonwealth to my TAD list. Thanks.

I have had some of the others mentioned before. I did not like Wilderness (tasted like smoking an everygreen tree) nor did I like Bob's Chocolate Flake (tasted like soap\perfume. A real ghoster for sure!). MM 965 was decent. Frog Morton and Penzance are great.

I am sure many others here you guys listed will one day appear on my next TAD list but after 5110 and SG Common.

MakDragon likes this.
  20. Puff The Magic

I really like that post OBD! :D

Well, they did come up with Damascus Steel but then the swordsmiths of the orient were also great blade-builders too.....

Ed
    Puff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.