I have a wild idea, but have no idea what I'm doing

Discussion in 'Blending' started by jason1977, Nov 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

I have 10 oz. of what I call "english blend mish-mash". I smoke a lot of english blend tobacco & the dregs, I always poured into a jar. Took me a while to accumulate what I have, but I've got it. It's several tins I've smoked thru the years, the dregs of the tins, & I've accumulated about 10 oz. of it & I have it in a tobacco jar. I't VERY good, it's not crap, it's just franken-english.

I also have 4 oz. of fresh burley mixed w. 2 oz. of turkish & 2 oz. of Macbaren No.1. This quantity I actually purchased on purpose trying to concoct a breakfast smoke. It's good, it's nice, it's simple, but I'm bored w. it already & am curious if I have something I can use w. the english mish mash I have to maybe create a navy blend.

My question is:

How crazy am I in thinking that I could quite possibly create a navy blend out of this hodge-podge red-headed stepchild batch of tobacco between these 2 jars? I've got about 10 oz of english & 8 oz of my turkish / va #1 / burley mixture.

~Am I nutz, or am I on to something? I know people will say, try it & find out, but I don't want to waste this either. SO, I'm no noob to smoking by any stretch, but I always left the blending to the powers that be. I just enjoyed smoking them. Didn't care much about how much of what was in there. Make sense? Any ideas? ~Thanks in advance!

2. gunslinger84

gunslinger84 Member

Try making a small trial sample of the idea, 1 oz of the breakfast blend and 1.5oz of the mixed up English. If you don't like it you wouldn't have wasted the whole thing. You could make it smaller just throwing an idea out there.

Gunslinger,

jason1977 likes this.
  3. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

thought about smaller size, just have no clue about proportion. I'm just a smoker, so I have no idea about such things, doesn't even enter the thought process during the zen moments when I'm smoking, lol. Awesome, I'll give it a shot.

4. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

Just an update: i ended up mixing the whole batch. all the burley w. all the english. I can't tell by smelling there's ANY burley in it at all. I'm curious as to what flavor will be yielded that's being masked by the scent after mixing. It has a dominant English Latakia sort of scent. Can't smell the burley at all. I'll light it up later this evening & sit & watch the full moon. I'll keep ya posted.

5. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I wish ya luck and that it becomes a very smokable blend .. but as far as it being a Navy blend .... yes , youre nuts :xd:

jason1977 likes this.
  6. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Just let it sit in your cellar and age. Try it in a year or so.

7. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

didn't know what else to call it & a navy blend can have pretty much anything in it. There are no rules for navy blends, LOL!

I think I'm going to do as RTOdhner says & cellar it for a year & see how she smokes. I don't think I'd be getting anything but the same flavor I did just smoking the english by itself. I wonder what the Burley, turkish, & Va no. 1 will do for it. I wonder if they'll marry & mix. I wonder if they have enough "oomph" to influence the smokey english to begin with. We'll have to see. The good news is THAT was my bulk "eh" tobacco. Now that it's sidelined for a year, I get to hit the tins more frequently! Amazingly I have 4 english tins opened so I'm good for a little while. I get to smoke everything else!

Got my "do not open until 30NOV'13" label on the mason jar. I have about 4 oz. left of what I mixed together. You can compress quite a bit into a mason jar! I crammed about 10 oz. in there.

ruffinogold likes this.
  8. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

C'mon , man ... ya gotta try a bowl before ya put it up . If for anything , to make a comparison . I think it sounds like it might be a pretty damn good smoke :th1:

jason1977 likes this.
  9. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

I just came in 5 minutes ago from the front porch having finished a bowl of C&D Blockade Runner. I will smoke it tomorrow night, lol. I wanted the tobacco to have some time to marry in a jar. It still smelled like an english blend & couldn't tell it was blended w. 4 oz of burley, 2 oz. of turkish & 2 oz. of Va. no 1. This morning, the smell was different, so I wanted to give that "marinading" a chance, lol. I'll check back in tomorrow evening.

10. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

It is a BURPER!!! It's a Burley dominant w. Perique blend. A full bodied breakfast sweet smoke. Smokes all the way down to a fine ash, smokes cool, no bite. The VA#1 comes out to play along w. the turkish, but it's burley dominant. The english flavor in it is completely drowned out by the burley. The perique is the only thing that stands out in this blend in the english portion. It's gooooood. I was hittin' it hard in my CAO Meer (it's in my mouth in this avatar, lol). It was good man. It's aliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive. It's a BurPer!!!

whitebriar and StubrnDutchman like this.
  11. Robert leslie

Robert leslie Member

Burper, I like that. Clever if I may say so. I think I may have to try that myself

jason1977 likes this.
  12. ronbruce61

ronbruce61 Member

A BurPer......another must try.LOL

jason1977 likes this.
  13. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

She's a full figured morning smoke, that's for sure. Very good~!

whitebriar likes this.
  14. PipeSimmo

PipeSimmo Active Member

I would also try it out with smaller samples at first. But the idea is great. I always try to improve the tobaccos that are too boring, or too edgy in taste, or too one-sided, by adding a certain amount of Dan mix-it-yourself tobaccos (DanPipe's "Mischtabake"). Does that exist in the U.S.? Probably so. Single pure tobaccos to blend your own mixtures? So, if one of my tobaccos is not round enough, not harmonic enough - it gets more burley. Too boring Virginia mixtures would be supplemented with Perique. I think that's great, otherwise some tobaccos I wouldn't have finished smoking .

http://www.danpipe.de/Tabak-Mischtabake-K_14316.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.