I have arrived

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by buistd, Oct 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buistd

buistd Active Member

Hi there - I thought I would share a story that happened to me the other day. After finishing work on Thursday I had a couple of hours to kill before my train home. I decided to go and smoke a pipe in St James Park in central London (any visitors to London must go there). I found a nice bench overlooking the lake and tucked in to a nice bowl of Louisana Flake. After a few minutes a French couple came up to me and asked if it was ok to take some pictures of me. I started talking with the man in my best French whilst the lady snapped away. They were there for about 5 minutes, he talking with me and her taking dozens of photographs of me smoking and chatting. A lovely couple they were too. I felt like a true eccentric! This young British guy, complete with flat cap, smoking his pipe in the park. A true picture of the British eccentric. It really made my day, and perhaps even my month (I lead a simple life!!)

The moral of the story is that pipe smoking instantly makes you interesting. Fact.

2. shadow

shadow Active Member

Excellent story, David!
    You're a true ambassador to the pipe smoking world, and where better to display it than St. James's Park.:)
    Bet you're gonna try Berkeley Square next. :)

3. buistd

buistd Active Member

I was thinking about donning a union jack patterned suit and just rocking up to the front courtyard of Buckingham Palace and puffing away. Perhaps bring some speakers and play a CD of Last Night of the Proms!

ATXPipe likes this.
  4. buistd

buistd Active Member

Land of hope and glory,
    David's smoking a pipe....

I could charge people to have their picture taken with me whilst a 1940's style BBC announcer cries out, "Behold the modern day British eccentric. Marvel at his stunning suit, crafted from the finest materials from all four corners of the empire. etc etc..."

ruffinogold and ATXPipe like this.
  5. shadow

shadow Active Member

And don't forget to get yourself a Dunhill!
    Or a bottle of TippEx to put a white spot onto your mouth pieces.:)

6. buistd

buistd Active Member

On the subject of Dunhill...

I bought a pipe from James Barber (smoke.co.uk). It was one of their B-line pipes. I got the full bent smooth pipe but the draft hole was really badly drilled. I contacted them and they told me to return the pipe to their supplier, Alfred Dunhill. (The pipe I got is basically exactly the same as the Parker bruyere range, which are about £45 but with the Barber stamp they are £30.) After a couple of weeks of faffing around with it, their representative called me and asked if I would like a replacement. I could have any pipe I wanted in any finish. I decided to go for a straight pipe as I hadn't really got on with the full bent. Anyway, after umming and erring trying to figure out if I wanted a Billiard or a Canadian, smooth or sandblasted, I plumped for a smooth Canadian. After half an hour the guy called me back and said that he had found a smooth Billiard and would also throw in a sandblasted Canadian at no extra cost. So basically I ended up with a smooth Billiard and sandblasted Canadian (total cost if bought as Parkers, £90) for £32.50 (I had to pay return postage costs). The real bonus is that the Billiard is only a Dunhill reject by the smallest of margins. It has the most beautiful grain I have seen on a "reject" pipe, and only one or two tiny fills and a couple of tiny dents on the bottom of the bowl that are only visible at a certain angle in certain light. I will find my camera and try and upload the pictures. Watch this space...

7. shadow

shadow Active Member

Look forward to seeing it!!! Bravo! Well done on your purchase!
    By the way: You can steam out those dents if you want to!
    Take a soldering iron or heat a flat screw driver over a gas flame, put a wet cloth over the dent and gently press the hot iron onto it.
    You might have to repeat this procedure a few times dependent on the depth of the dent but always make sure that the cloth is sufficiently wet as you obviously don't want to burn your bowl.

8. buistd

buistd Active Member

St James's park. Sorry.

9. buistd

buistd Active Member

10. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

If that grain is any gauge, you've done amazingly well, buistd!

May you enjoy for many, many years!

Bri2k

11. shadow

shadow Active Member

Again: A great pipe! Enjoy :appl:

12. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Well done all 'round, buistd! Beautiful pipe!

Herb

13. Drek

Drek Member

Hard to spot those fills if you aren't looking for them. Looks like a great deal.

14. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

No that is gonna be one fine puffer kiddo....well found! Sounds like the rep did you quite well. Two fine pipes basically for the price of one. Yep....great customer service there!

15. ruffinogoldswife

ruffinogoldswife The Mayor's Wife

Beautiful! When do we get to see the Canadian? :D

16. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Well-Known Member

Nice story! My wife & I were in London a few years ago, absolutely loved it. Wish I was smoking a pipe at that time, I would have searched for some local tobacconist's....or are they hard to find there as well? Great city & hope to return someday soon.

17. buistd

buistd Active Member

There are a few tobacconists around but it's tough to find one where the staff actually know what they're talking about. Polite staff, well-dressed but sadly in general they are fairly poorly clued up about pipe smoking. If you're not a pipe smoker and you work in a tobacconist you could at least make an effort to learn about the products you sell. Sadly that doesn't happen often enough. But this is all another point! If you're ever in the UK again let me know and I can point you in the right direction.

18. buistd

buistd Active Member

To be honest the Canadian isn't quite so exciting. It's a sandblast finish so no exciting grain to see. You'll have to make do with a mental picture I'm afraid!

19. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

That is soooo beautiful. It's a work of art.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.