I Just Want a Bowl of Tobacco

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by RTOdhner, Apr 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

PSF is a great place, full of really colorful members, great discussions, and tons of great advice on tobacco and pipe smoking. Many of us wax philosophical about the whole thing, and I am no minor offender when it comes to such waxings. (I know, say it ain't so, eh). However, when it's all said and done, I'm just gonna smoke my pipe and I'm probably just gonna fill it with SWR or one of my favorite MacB or Stokkebye blends because I'm just a pipe smoker who just wants an honest bowl of tobacco. No life altering experience, no subtle hues and nuances, and no pretenses - just a bowl of tobacco.

The philosophical underpinnings and implications of the whole pipe smoking experience are certainly fun to ponder just cuz I like doing stuff like that, but what I really want is just a servicable pipe, some simple Burley goodness, and some peace and quiet so that I can just float away on clouds of smoke for a good 45 minutes or so.

Waino, Ephraim, Preacher1611 and 29 others like this.

2. Albert

Albert Active Member

But, what does honesty taste like RTO?:p:

Preacher1611, MDaws79, jdto and 5 others like this.
  3. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

Agreed!

Although sometimes I want a bowl of Cheerios.

4. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

You can share with my daughter
    [​IMG]

Preacher1611, Rodfather, jdto and 5 others like this.
  5. F1guy

F1guy Member

Good point. Sometimes we all start to focus on the nuances, because we're told to focus on those, and we miss the simple pleasure of the smoke. Who gives a F if you don't taste what your friend did in the blend? If you enjoy it, you're doing something right.

Nuances are nice, as long as it doesn't take away from why you're smoking anyway: do chill and relax.

Preacher1611, dBear, jdto and 3 others like this.
  6. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Yep, my favorite pipe of the day is usually a cob filled with CH. Something just simple and pleasurable about it.

Waino, Ephraim, ZeissMan and 7 others like this.
  7. RTOdhner

Burley, with a bit of Virginia and a dash of Latakia...

Preacher1611, KleinToit, jdto and 3 others like this.
  8. RTOdhner

All of those are Cheerios? From a regular box of Cheerios?

9. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

Ray, you just hit the essence of pipe smoking head on. All the rest is fun, but for a great many of us an OTC in a good pipe is what we want.

10. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

What? No Sippy cup????

11. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

Seriously though, Ray hit a homerun with that analogy.

Now that the weather has changed for the better and I get the opportunity to sit outside with my pipe of cigar, I simply am greatful for the "down" time. The pipe and cigar allow me to sit for 45 minutes to an hour or so and just sit. Then my mind gets to wander to places I normally dont get to go in my busy day or week or month,
    It's a simple pleasure with so many simple and profound benefits!

Preacher1611, RTOdhner, jdto and 6 others like this.
  12. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

Yea, gathered them from under the couch and gave em back to her :rofl:

They're actually whole grain Cheerios.

13. Albert

Albert Active Member

i thought they were from a well aged sealed box, I was gonna ask what age had done to mellow the flavor and bring out the nuances, but, well, that belongs in another thread....

14. ArmedOctopus

ArmedOctopus Active Member

If life with children has taught me anything...it's that the soggy cheerios are the ones you gotta watch out for.

15. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member

Well said. Like many things, pipe smoking can be taken very seriously by some. All the more power to them since I get the benefit of their experience and suggestions.
    It's the peace and quiet part that seems to be the rarest commodity these days.

RTOdhner, JimInks, furious and 4 others like this.
  16. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

:haha:

fishnbanjo likes this.
  17. Skrymr

Skrymr Member

Very well said. That's one of the things I like about my favorite OTC's. Most times I just want to light a pipe and enjoy it. I don't like fiddling around and having to constantly tinker to keep a pipe lit. I know it will take time and experience with other tobacco's, and I'm willing to work on that, but most times I just want to smoke a pipe.

RTOdhner and fishnbanjo like this.
  18. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

Yup. If I just want to smoke and not have to screw around/relight...I go with an OTC (i.e. SWRA and CH). I really like some of the other stuff out there (i.e. C&D Kajun Kake...I smoke the crap out of that stuff), but it tends to be more fussy to keep lit.

RTOdhner and fishnbanjo like this.
  19. Terry292

Terry292 Member

Couldn't agree more. I hope no-one here ever finds me involved in any discussions of how Pipe A is so much better than Pipe B or C, or Tobacco X is the greatest thing since sliced bread. One thing I've learned in nearly half century of smoking a pipe is everyone is different. What I like may not necessarily be what you like. I started smoking a pipe when I was 14 years old mainly because my Dad caught me smoking cigarettes and pretty much whaled the tar out of me (you could still get away with that in the 60s; now he'd probably be in jail). I started with a Dr Grabow Duke and a tin of Sir Walter Raleigh. There wasn't much selection in our little Tennessee hamlet. As time passed, I moved on to other pipes and tobaccos, but I still have Dr Grabows in the collection and smoke Sir Walter from time to time.

I've found there are no, or very few, bad pipes. With a little time and patience, almost any pipe can be turned into a decent smoker. Some people just aren't willing to invest the time and effort to reach that goal. Tobaccos are a little different, in my opinion. We all have our individual tastes and preferences. While I don't particularly care for tobacco that smells, or tastes, like vanilla, carmel, or other sweets, I know there are people who do. If that's what you like, then go for it. When I'm looking for new tobaccos to try, I usually try to find someone whose tastes are similar to mine and try their recommendations. I wouldn't ask an aromatic smoker to recommend a Balkan, or English, tobacco. Their tastes and mine are too dissimilar.

At the end of the day, after all, a pipe is just a device to deliver my preferred taste in tobacco to my system. Sorry for the rant. I haven't talked so much in a long time.

20. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member

So I shouldn't pop that tin of Grousemoor that I bought after you waxed poetic about it?

Waino, Preacher1611, RTOdhner and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.