1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

I Need A New Pipe

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by SBritton, Apr 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SBritton

SBritton Member

I have not ran into a pipe that is perfect for me. I have an understanding of what I would like though. I understand that a few members on here make custom pipes. I would love to talk to someone have one made. my birthday is coming up and I would like to get myself something nice since the rest of my family is on a anti-smoking rampage.

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Well-Known Member

LOL.... the antis are not too likely to commission a pipe, huh? Well, we know better than that, don't we.

What kinda pipe are you thinking you be wanting? I know a guy who knows a guy.

3. SBritton

SBritton Member

I need a nice long smoke, so something that holds a good bit of baccy but light. Something that can be comfortably held in the mouth for long periods of time without needing constant re-adjustment. NO PLIPS! I think I am heading away from curved pipe stems for something like this. I want it to be stained dark and I do not want the stem to be attached half way up the bowl.

Something regal looking that I can sit in my living room when I am not smoking it and have it be admired without breaking a $150 - $200 price tag. Is that possible?

Thanks.

4. Sasquatch

Sure.

Other questions I would ask are if you wanted something smooth or if you preferred a textured finish, and whether you want the pipe to "sit" on a flat bottom or not.

Forgetting the P-lip, what do you think of the Peterson House Pipe series (straight and bent available). Something like that ring your bell? That's a very conservative "English" sort of pipe, though very large. If you move into the Italian pipes you get a lot more flare in shaping, if you move into Danish, you'll see a greater emphasis on grain and smooth natural sorts of shapes, often incorporating the outside skin, the "plateaux" of the burl.

I make big pipes all the time, usually bent, but I can do straights. Have a look at Mark Tinsky's and Rob's (Stummel Bum) pipes in the pipe making section too. I'm gonna send you a pm with a couple pictures.

5. SBritton

SBritton Member

I sent you some further details. Thanks for the reply.

6. hammer8

hammer8 Member

Are you sure you don't want to stick with a bent pipe? While I find a straight pipe fine when I'm not that active (reading, driving, etc.), I've found that a pipe with a bend requires less attention while I'm really moving around like doing yard work. Most likely it's a personal preference thing.

7. Traderbob

Traderbob Member

Hey - you should touch base with 51flgoose. He made me a Liverpool based on my description and it turned out great (it's shown in my avatar).

8. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Not looking to hijack, but good show, Sas, in giving a shout out to fellow pipemakers....in my line of work, the tendency is to crap on the possible competition...refreshing to see an evenhanded approach to the desires of the end line user. I guess you're human, afterall!

-Kyle

9. Marc

Marc Active Member

:scratchchin:

10. Sasquatch

"More Human Than Human" is our motto.

I have the luxury of not caring a rat's ass whether or not anyone buys a pipe from me - I don't do it for a living, I do it for fun, and I feel priveleged any time anyone buys a pipe from me rather than from any number of other makers. If someone asks me "Why should I buy a pipe from you instead of Mark Tinsky?" I don't have an answer. I can't even say Mark's an asshole. He's a super guy. In fact, all the established pipe makers I've chatted with have treated me with respect and encouraged me. I would feel like a real piece of **** if I acted any less gentlemanly in return.

Now, if someone wants a deck built, well.... I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.

11. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

would that be a "bent" deck or a "straight" one? https://pipesmokersforum.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/bing.gif

12. SBritton

SBritton Member

I sent some details on what I would like. I am getting a new house and I am installing a pipe smoking room with a view. Just as a private study. So I would like a handcraft to stick on a rack.

13. woody

woody Admin Admin

A smoking room, now that is cool https://pipesmokersforum.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/puffy.gif

14. SBritton

SBritton Member

Most certainly. Its going to be my stock "cellar". I will display my baccy on shelves. I want to get my nice pipes from PSF locals. Just a nice happy room for me. NO TV! Enough of that. Just a nice chair and footrest of some-sort. An evening window and displays. I have this old monotone record player to add to the decor. Get some nice light jazz and relax.

15. woody

woody Admin Admin

Relaxation is what it's all about. Sounds like a good plan.

16. SBritton

SBritton Member

I think I am going to add a ham radio to the throw. I should have a smoking channel. Ha!

17. Rider

Rider Member

paints a nice picture, best of luck with it :bing: . take pictures when its done!!!

18. Marc

Marc Active Member

A piper's paradise for sure! I'm happy for you!

19. Sasquatch

I dunno... he didn't say anything about a drill press, or a lathe... so I'm thinking my smoking room is better. :(

20. Philthy

Philthy Member

Mine has no TV but it does have a pool table (still needs re-felting) and is only separated from my shop (yes drill press, and new Jet lathe, plus a KMG grinder :eek: ) by one set of doors. I really need a great big overstuffed leather chair though. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.